CR1 Visa Initial Steps

Old Jul 24th 2017, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

bg1109 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CR1 Visa Initial Steps

Hi everyone I'm new here, so I apologize in advance if I'm answering a question that's already posed, or doing this in the wrong place.

I'm an American citizen, engaged to a Brit. We're getting married in October, and planning to file our CR1 visa paperwork nearly immediately after, to get the ball rolling so we can be together as soon as possible.

I know that I have to file the first leg of the paperwork here from the US. I'm incredibly confused though as to what exactly I have to file in that initial mailing. Of course, we have the I-130 that we're planning to mail. But, I'm seeing lots of other numbers floating around as well. To keep this as uncomplicated as possible, what all forms do you have to file initially in that first mailing to bring your spouse here? (I'd seen an i-864, etc, and it's so confusing).

With that, just a few questions as to the "evidence" that they request. A lot of the things they ask you to provide, we can't (like evidence of a shared address or lease, etc.), because we're not yet living together. That's the whole reason we're filing this, after all- so that we can. What other evidence have you guys successfully provided with your initial I-130 filing?

Thanks much!
Old Jul 24th 2017, 8:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CR1 Visa Initial Steps

The best thing to do is go to www.uscis.gov and read the I-130 instructions. That will tell you exactly what needs to go with the I-130 package.

People who don't yet have a joint life together usually submit a few sworn affidavits from people who know you as a married couple. Again, this is all in the instructions.

Rene
Old Jul 24th 2017, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, Rene- there's just so much information, it makes your head hurt after awhile!
Old Jul 24th 2017, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bg1109
Hi everyone I'm new here, so I apologize in advance if I'm answering a question that's already posed, or doing this in the wrong place.

I'm an American citizen, engaged to a Brit. We're getting married in October, and planning to file our CR1 visa paperwork nearly immediately after, to get the ball rolling so we can be together as soon as possible.

I know that I have to file the first leg of the paperwork here from the US. I'm incredibly confused though as to what exactly I have to file in that initial mailing. Of course, we have the I-130 that we're planning to mail. But, I'm seeing lots of other numbers floating around as well. To keep this as uncomplicated as possible, what all forms do you have to file initially in that first mailing to bring your spouse here? (I'd seen an i-864, etc, and it's so confusing).

With that, just a few questions as to the "evidence" that they request. A lot of the things they ask you to provide, we can't (like evidence of a shared address or lease, etc.), because we're not yet living together. That's the whole reason we're filing this, after all- so that we can. What other evidence have you guys successfully provided with your initial I-130 filing?

Thanks much!
Hi, bg1109! Welcome to the forum. I'm Kate - my husband and I are in the middle of our CR-1 journey (I'm the UKC, he's the USC) - there are plenty of us here who have gone or are going through this process, so you've come to the right place for advice. There are loads of people who are far more knowledgeable than me who'll likely swing by to say hi, but I'll share with you what I've learned so far!

I recommend having a look at this page: https://www.uscis.gov/i-130
It details everything you need to file with the I-130, and also includes the I-130 instructions page, which is worth a read (or two). Essentially, you'll be sending off the I-130 along with an I-130A (your UK spouse will complete this form) and a G-1145, which is to notify the USCIS to email you once they've received your documents. That's all for forms at this stage!

The I-864 is a form that comes later in the process - you don't need to concern yourself with that for now, although I do recommend reading up on the process in its entirety so that you're aware of what comes next. This is an invaluable source for a step-by-step guide: https://travel.state.gov/content/vis.../petition.html

As for supporting documents to include with the I-130: my husband and I didn't have (and still don't have) any joint finances, so don't worry that you don't have that. Sworn affidavits from friends or family are useful - my husband and I included letters from my mother-in-law and brother-in-law (there is more about this in a recent thread here, should you decide to go that route). We also provided a handful of photographs and evidence of flights back and forth, along with the required documents (marriage certificate, etc.). Essentially, my husband and I didn't/couldn't include much in the way of official documents, but it presented no issue in our petition and we were approved without any RFEs.

My advice to you is to become a regular on this site. Read everything you see in the marriage based visas forum - even the threads that don't seem immediately relevant will often provide useful information. Feel free to have a look at my CR-1 timeline (link in my signature), and search for CR-1 timelines in this forum - there are plenty of them, and they provide plenty of info.

It can all seem very daunting at first, and each corner you turn might overwhelm you all over again, but I've found that the more I read and the more I know, the less intimidating the process is. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Last edited by KK85; Jul 24th 2017 at 9:14 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 9:19 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... there's just so much information, it makes your head hurt after awhile!
Yes - but that's because you're trying to absorb everything at once - and you don't have to. Concentrate on the I-130 filing for now. You'll have many months thereafter to become acquainted with the next steps.

Ian
Old Jul 24th 2017, 9:30 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yes - but that's because you're trying to absorb everything at once - and you don't have to. Concentrate on the I-130 filing for now. You'll have many months thereafter to become acquainted with the next steps.

Ian
Nail, Hammer, Head!
Old Jul 25th 2017, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
Thanks, Ian! That's where my initial confusion was- I didn't know if anything else had to be sent with the I-130. But thanks to everyone for clearing that up- feeling much more on top of things now.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry if this posted twice-
Kate, thanks so much for answering all of my questions- feeling so much better now!
Also, the evidence info was a huge help as far as your examples. You made everything so much clearer. Funnily enough, I see that you're going to Harrisburg. My fiance will be moving over and joining me just down the road in Lancaster! Such a small world.
Thanks again!
Becca
Old Jul 25th 2017, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry if this posted twice-
Kate, thanks so much for answering all of my questions- feeling so much better now!
Also, the evidence info was a huge help as far as your examples. You made everything so much clearer. Funnily enough, I see that you're going to Harrisburg. My fiance will be moving over and joining me just down the road in Lancaster! Such a small world.
Thanks again!
Becca
You're very welcome - I'm glad you're starting to feel better about it all. It does all make sense and fit into place eventually!

This world is tiny sometimes - hooray PA! I hope you'll stick around the forum for a while - perhaps we could all meet for a drink once myself and your fiancé (then husband!) are both settled in the US! Where is your fiancé from?

Last edited by KK85; Jul 25th 2017 at 8:16 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by KK85
You're very welcome - I'm glad you're starting to feel better about it all. It does all make sense and fit into place eventually!

This world is tiny sometimes - hooray PA! I hope you'll stick around the forum for a while - perhaps we could all meet for a drink once myself and your fiancé (then husband!) are both settled in the US! Where is your fiancé from?
I have a feeling we'll be coming back to this space quite often in the coming months, as we go through the process. I know my fiance already finds a lot of info on here. And we'd love that! He's from Wolverhampton!
Old Jul 25th 2017, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

I have a feeling we'll be coming back to this space quite often in the coming months, as we go through the process. I know my fiance already finds a lot of info on here. And we'd love that! He's from Wolverhampton!
I've only been (active) on this forum since November, and your fiancé is the third person (including myself) who I know to have moved or be moving to south central/east PA within those eight months. And there are a couple who I know to be settled there already. There are far more Brits close-by than I ever would have expected!

I was hoping you might say somewhere I'd know, but now we have the awkward bit where I have to say I've never been to Wolverhampton and know nothing whatsoever about it.

I look forward to following your CR-1 journey and wish you the best of luck.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by KK85
I've only been (active) on this forum since November, and your fiancé is the third person (including myself) who I know to have moved or be moving to south central/east PA within those eight months. And there are a couple who I know to be settled there already. There are far more Brits close-by than I ever would have expected!

I was hoping you might say somewhere I'd know, but now we have the awkward bit where I have to say I've never been to Wolverhampton and know nothing whatsoever about it.

I look forward to following your CR-1 journey and wish you the best of luck.
That's so funny- and he says all the British people go to Florida! I have friends from Yorkshire who are currently on a work visa in Lancaster for a few years, too.

Thanks again! And we're looking forward to following yours- it's giving us a good idea of what to expect in the coming year
Old Jul 26th 2017, 11:59 am
Go Braves!

StuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond reputeStuBear65 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi bg1109

I have just started my process, I am UKC, my wife is USC and has just filed our I-130.

We were in the same position as you, the only slight difference is we have a joint checking account.

The additional paperwork we sent to try and prove our marriage is legit, was 2x sworn affidavits, a copy of bank correspondence showing the joint account, a copy of my travel history to the USA.

We are now playing the waiting game, we will hopefully hear something around Christmas.

You have come to the right place for advice, there are some extremely knowledgeable people on this site, who will give you sound honest advice.

Good luck with your wedding and your application.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by StuBear65
Hi bg1109

I have just started my process, I am UKC, my wife is USC and has just filed our I-130.

We were in the same position as you, the only slight difference is we have a joint checking account.

The additional paperwork we sent to try and prove our marriage is legit, was 2x sworn affidavits, a copy of bank correspondence showing the joint account, a copy of my travel history to the USA.

We are now playing the waiting game, we will hopefully hear something around Christmas.

You have come to the right place for advice, there are some extremely knowledgeable people on this site, who will give you sound honest advice.

Good luck with your wedding and your application.
Hi, Stu! Thanks so much for the advice. We'll look forward to watching your journey, to get an idea of the timeline we can expect.
Thanks again- and all the best luck to you both with the whole process