Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Name on current passport = name on Green Card?

Name on current passport = name on Green Card?

Old Mar 2nd 2017, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Name on current passport = name on Green Card?

Hi all,

Currently going through CR-1 application process.

Somewhere, somehow, I have been led to understand that the name on my current passport will be the name applied to my green card once it's issued. I have searched back through a couple of years in this forum, but can't seem to verify this information. Can anybody please tell me if it's correct?

I would like to be known by my married name once I become a resident of the USA, and would assume, therefore, that having my married name on my green card is important?! My UK passport is the last remaining document currently in my maiden name - I haven't yet changed it as we had some travel plans, but those are now behind us and I am ready to get the change made (if necessary for this). I am slightly hesitant, though, to send my passport away right now due to my mother-in-law's ill health and the possibility that I'll need to fly out at any given moment. I would probably take advantage of the fast-track/one-day service, but it would be an expensive indulgence if this is an unnecessary formality and my green card can be issued in my married name without going through it? If not, the sooner I change it, the better.

Thank you for any help! Sorry if this has been covered before and I've failed to unearth the answer.

Last edited by KK85; Mar 2nd 2017 at 9:33 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 10:29 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Name on current passport = name on Green Card?

Originally Posted by KK85
Hi all,

Currently going through CR-1 application process.

Somewhere, somehow, I have been led to understand that the name on my current passport will be the name applied to my green card once it's issued. I have searched back through a couple of years in this forum, but can't seem to verify this information. Can anybody please tell me if it's correct?

I would like to be known by my married name once I become a resident of the USA, and would assume, therefore, that having my married name on my green card is important?! My UK passport is the last remaining document currently in my maiden name - I haven't yet changed it as we had some travel plans, but those are now behind us and I am ready to get the change made (if necessary for this). I am slightly hesitant, though, to send my passport away right now due to my mother-in-law's ill health and the possibility that I'll need to fly out at any given moment. I would probably take advantage of the fast-track/one-day service, but it would be an expensive indulgence if this is an unnecessary formality and my green card can be issued in my married name without going through it? If not, the sooner I change it, the better.

Thank you for any help! Sorry if this has been covered before and I've failed to unearth the answer.

The name on your UK passport is irrelevant. Complete the paperwork with the name you wish to use. My U.K. passport and green card never "matched."
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 11:55 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I have been led to understand that the name on my current passport will be the name applied to my green card once it's issued.
Nonsense!

... but can't seem to verify this information.
That's because it's not true! The name you use on the application is the name in which the green card will be issued. If you want to use your married name, put it on the application.

Ian
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 12:01 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

And there is no need to change the name on your UK passport until it is due to expire. And even then it is your choice to use either surname. Your travel ticket must match the name on your passport and you can carry a copy of your marriage certificate to prove the use of your new surname on your green card.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Britexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond repute

I have had my green card since 1998 (married since '94) and it has never matched my passport until this past week when I just renewed passsport and decided to do the name change from my maiden name.
I also had previously held a green card from my first marriage and it had also never matched the passport.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all so much!

Is there any benefit at all to changing the name on the passport? Does it make future travel any less complicated? If not, I shall leave it as it is until it needs renewing.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 4:10 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all so much!

Is there any benefit at all to changing the name on the passport? Does it make future travel any less complicated? If not, I shall leave it as it is until it needs renewing.
None whatsoever. Book airline tickets in the name on your passport, and carry a copy of your marriage certificate with you when traveling, in case anyone queries the discrepancy. I did that for over twenty years, and never once had to produce it.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
None whatsoever. Book airline tickets in the name on your passport, and carry a copy of your marriage certificate with you when traveling, in case anyone queries the discrepancy. I did that for over twenty years, and never once had to produce it.
Fantastic. Thank you, Nutmegger! That's another thing ticked off the list, then.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

I just wanted to post a follow-up to this thread, though I appreciate it is a bit old; the information above, however, is not how things worked out for me.

The name that will be on my green card/visa is going to be my maiden name, as this is the name on my passport. I filled out all forms in my married name (edit: to clarify, I am referring to all USCIS forms; my medical was done in my maiden name, as the name on those forms had to match what was on my passport), but when it came to providing identification for my interview at the embassy, I handed over my passport and was questioned as to whether I ever use my married name. I confirmed that yes, I do, but was then advised that the visa will be issued in the name on my passport. I was advised that if I wanted my visa in my married name, I would need to change the name on my passport. Not sure why this was different for me than for everyone above!

It's not the end of the world, of course. I'll change mine eventually, and am hopeful that I can use my marriage certificate to sort out a name-change when it comes to bank accounts etc. But for anyone else wondering or going through the process, please be advised of the above.

Last edited by KK85; Nov 8th 2017 at 2:14 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 2:27 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

I just wanted to post a follow-up to this thread, though I appreciate it is a bit old; the information above, however, is not how things worked out for me.

The name that will be on my green card/visa is going to be my maiden name, as this is the name on my passport. I filled out all forms in my married name (edit: to clarify, I am referring to all USCIS forms; my medical was done in my maiden name, as the name on those forms had to match what was on my passport), but when it came to providing identification for my interview at the embassy, I handed over my passport and was questioned as to whether I ever use my married name. I confirmed that yes, I do, but was then advised that the visa will be issued in the name on my passport. I was advised that if I wanted my visa in my married name, I would need to change the name on my passport. Not sure why this was different for me than for everyone above!

It's not the end of the world, of course. I'll change mine eventually, and am hopeful that I can use my marriage certificate to sort out a name-change when it comes to bank accounts etc. But for anyone else wondering or going through the process, please be advised of the above.
Not sure why, if you wanted your maiden name on your green card, you used your husband's name when you completed the paperwork.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Not sure why, if you wanted your maiden name on your green card, you used your husband's name when you completed the paperwork.
To confirm, my preference was to have my husband's name on my green card, which is why I completed the forms in his name. But they're issuing the green card in the name on my passport, which is my maiden name.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 2:41 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Not true. The forms are made so that your maiden name and your married surname can be used on the same line. There is nothing that states the green card has to match your passport. The form to manufacture your green card could have been done in your married surname or at the very least hyphenated.

Why hadn't you changed the name on your passport after your marriage?
Old Nov 8th 2017, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rete
Not true. The forms are made so that your maiden name and your married surname can be used on the same line. There is nothing that states it has to match your passport.

Why hadn't you changed the name on your passport after your marriage?
I didn't change the name on my passport because my mother-in-law had terminal cancer, and we did not want to send my passport away and risk my not being able to travel when the worst happened. I then chose not to bother amending it later as I'd been advised that it wasn't necessary for the purpose of a name-change for immigration, and that the only difference it would ever make was the name under which I'd ever fly.

To my recollection, I used my married name on all forms and specified my maiden name whenever prompted under 'other names used', for example. I'm therefore not sure why my married name hasn't been recognised during this process. But not the end of the world.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 2:47 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

To confirm, my preference was to have my husband's name on my green card, which is why I completed the forms in his name. But they're issuing the green card in the name on my passport, which is my maiden name.

Sorry, I misunderstood this bit, "The name that will be on my green card/visa is going to be my maiden name, as this is the name on my passport" as meaning that you wanted it that way!
Old Nov 8th 2017, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry, I misunderstood this bit, "The name that will be on my green card/visa is going to be my maiden name, as this is the name on my passport" as meaning that you wanted it that way!
Ah, apologies! You're right, my intention wasn't very clear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.