CR-1 visa advice

Old Feb 23rd 2017, 3:08 am
Just Joined

Juniorjay12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CR-1 visa advice

Hello, I need some advice on a CR-1 visa and the process/ documentation needed.

I am going to marry my partner, who is an American Citizen. I'm going to do this and then return to the UK to apply for a visa.

My first question is, can I go to the US and marry my Fiancée on a travel visa? Or do I need to apply for another? As I'm returning to the UK.

My second is the process, I just need some advice on where to start really, as I am a newbie to all of this. At the moment my head has been made a little fuzzy by all the information on the US Visa Website!

Thanks in advance.

Joshua
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 4:06 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CR-1 visa advice

What do you mean by "travel visa"? You are allowed to marry in the USA as a visitor, whether that's on the VWP or a B-2. No special visa needed.

As for the process, check our Wiki guide. After marriage, the USC files an I-130 petition to get the ball rolling. The I-130 can be filed while you are still in the USA.

Eventually, after the I-130 gets approved, you will do a medical exam and have your visa interview in the UK.

The whole process should take between 8 to 10 months.

Rene
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 11:46 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you met in person yet? It just seems odd to me that you are planning to marry someone in the USA and eventually emigrate but it appears you've not been before as you don't know the process for entry under the VWP. Or has your partner been to the U.K.?

I have recently completed the CR-1/IR-1 process and moved here in December. Whole process took 10 months 1 day from sending the I-130 to having my interview in London. Part of the process is demonstrating that you have a bona fide relationship and that the marriage is not just for immigration benefit. That's why I asked if you've met in person yet. You will need to gather up evidence of an ongoing, genuine relationship and time spent together to satisfy USCIS that you didn't get married just to be able to emigrate. Keep copies of your flight reservations, photos of you two together, communication between you, etc.

The process appears to be overwhelming when you first start reading about it. My advice is to break it down into steps and focus on one step at a time. First things first, get married. You can do this as a visitor. Check the website of the county where you plan to obtain the license and see what the cost is, what documents are needed (probably just something that proves your identity like a passport but good to check to see if you need to take anything else), when you can apply for the license and where and whether there is a waiting period between obtaining the license and getting married (for example we have a three-day waiting period in Washington state - when you get the license you have to wait three days before you can actually get married). This will help with planning your trip and what day you need to fly, etc.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 11:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
Have you met in person yet? It just seems odd to me that you are planning to marry someone in the USA and eventually emigrate but it appears you've not been before as you don't know the process for entry under the VWP. Or has your partner been to the U.K.?

I have recently completed the CR-1/IR-1 process and moved here in December. Whole process took 10 months 1 day from sending the I-130 to having my interview in London. Part of the process is demonstrating that you have a bona fide relationship and that the marriage is not just for immigration benefit. That's why I asked if you've met in person yet. You will need to gather up evidence of an ongoing, genuine relationship and time spent together to satisfy USCIS that you didn't get married just to be able to emigrate. Keep copies of your flight reservations, photos of you two together, communication between you, etc.

The process appears to be overwhelming when you first start reading about it. My advice is to break it down into steps and focus on one step at a time. First things first, get married. You can do this as a visitor. Check the website of the county where you plan to obtain the license and see what the cost is, what documents are needed (probably just something that proves your identity like a passport but good to check to see if you need to take anything else), when you can apply for the license and where and whether there is a waiting period between obtaining the license and getting married (for example we have a three-day waiting period in Washington state - when you get the license you have to wait three days before you can actually get married). This will help with planning your trip and what day you need to fly, etc.
Hi, thanks for the advice! Yes I've been to US a lot to visit her and her family too. I also have flight apps to prove I've been and countless photos and conversations. So that's easily dealt with.
I just have never looked into getting married abroad before. It's all quite new to me. But your advice has certainly helped.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Have you met in person yet?
First: If you click on someone's username, you can read their prior posts. In this case, 7 or 8 posts isn't that difficult to get through - and you would have read that they've been together for a while now.

Second: Why have you assumed that he's from a VWP country? True, you've only been posting for 6 months, but that's long enough to know that Brits aren't the only ones who come here looking for advice.

Part of the process is demonstrating that you have a bona fide relationship...
No, it isn't - and it never has been.

You will need to gather up evidence of an ongoing, genuine relationship and time spent together...
No, he doesn't... because that isn't a requirement.

... to satisfy USCIS that you didn't get married just to be able to emigrate.
Lots of people get married just so that the partner can emigrate. The requirement is simply that it isn't the only reason. Don't conflate the two.

Ian
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 12:27 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
First: If you click on someone's username, you can read their prior posts. In this case, 7 or 8 posts isn't that difficult to get through - and you would have read that they've been together for a while now.

Second: Why have you assumed that he's from a VWP country? True, you've only been posting for 6 months, but that's long enough to know that Brits aren't the only ones who come here looking for advice.

No, it isn't - and it never has been.

No, he doesn't... because that isn't a requirement.

Lots of people get married just so that the partner can emigrate. The requirement is simply that it isn't the only reason. Don't conflate the two.

Ian

FFS I post on an iPhone when I'm half-listening to the news. I don't make a life's work out of researching other posters and tracking their stories. I'll do my way, you'll do yours.

OP, I would ask you to read the instructions for the I-130 (can be opened as a PDF on the USCIS website) and pay attention to the bottom of page 2 and the start of page 3 regarding evidence of a bona fide relationship. I can assure you people get RFEs (requests for further evidence) for not submitting evidence of a bona fide relationship. Just having a legal marriage is not enough. Feel free to ask me anything about the process. It's good to connect with someone who's done it recently, and not just listen to people who did a completely different visa many years ago.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 12:29 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

FFS I post on an iPhone when I'm half-listening to the news.
The result being that you don't pay attention to either.

Ian
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

FFS I post on an iPhone when I'm half-listening to the news. I don't make a life's work out of researching other posters and tracking their stories. I'll do my way, you'll do yours.

OP, I would ask you to read the instructions for the I-130 (can be opened as a PDF on the USCIS website) and pay attention to the bottom of page 2 and the start of page 3 regarding evidence of a bona fide relationship. I can assure you people get RFEs (requests for further evidence) for not submitting evidence of a bona fide relationship. Just having a legal marriage is not enough. Feel free to ask me anything about the process. It's good to connect with someone who's done it recently, and not just listen to people who did a completely different visa many years ago.
I have the instructions saved onto my phone but I'm going to read them through tonight when I get in from work.
Did you just send the I-130 off with no other documentation until it was requested?
Thanks.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 1:39 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juniorjay12
I have the instructions saved onto my phone but I'm going to read them through tonight when I get in from work.
Did you just send the I-130 off with no other documentation until it was requested?
Thanks.
Send whatever is required in the I-130 instructions. There will be several things included in the final package.

Rene
Old Feb 24th 2017, 7:43 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't say much for the credibility of the information you provide, does it?

FFS I post on an iPhone when I'm half-listening to the news.