Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

CR-1 APPLICATION- ask me

CR-1 APPLICATION- ask me

Old Apr 26th 2015, 11:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CR-1 APPLICATION- ask me

Originally Posted by CHW40
Go and find some better use of your time than negatively nit picking at others' posts.
You said yourself in your first post, "... found it so hard to find up to date and accurate info." If you can't be accurate yourself, how do you expect to help those who are looking for accurate information? I regret that you don't feel the need to be accurate, but the people you're trying to help are depending on it.

If not then politely butt-out.
With respect, you don't get to dictate who responds to your posts. Such is the nature of a public forum.

Apologies to Jerseygirl.

Ian
Old Apr 27th 2015, 7:39 am
Just Joined

CHW40 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Username.exe

Our primary reason was due to hearing bad experience stories (not just from this website) and not wanting that to happen to us. We didn't want anything to go wrong, get missed or get delayed longer than necessary. Finding accurate up to date info on the process on the internet/embassy websites was difficult. We'd also used a lawyer to aid the application for my partner's visa into the UK and had a great experience. The lawyers we have have now were recommended by them.
I have to say it's been a great experience. We are not left worrying and any questions, we just ask and they get answered. We fortunately didn't have to rely on plowing through the internet to find answers. The cost varies for different lawyers (we did ask around before we settled on the ones we have). We found that it can range from about £1500-5000) including all lawyers fees and visa costs).

Hope that helps.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

One thing to remember when using a lawyer, ultimately you are responsible for the information on the forms not the lawyer or the overworked paralegal who is actually doing all the typing.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

sarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond reputesarahincos has a reputation beyond repute

I would find it difficult to trust a lawyer with something like this. I mean, it's really quite a simple process and the little details you pick up from the forums from people who have actually gone through the process themselves is invaluable knowledge. Maybe I'm a bit of a control freak, but I would find it so hard to not be able to check, double check, and recheck every form and just leave it up to that overworked paralegal to hopefully remember my maiden name or birthdate (for example).

The forms are simple. It's assembling the rest of your proof where the work really comes.

Just my two cents!

Sarah
Old Apr 27th 2015, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

CHW40 is an unknown quantity at this point

Like I said, using lawyers was our choice and everybody has their own opinions about using them. I have nothing but good experiences from using them. As for assembling the rest of the proof, that's been very plain sailing for us.
As for trusting lawyers, I have no issues with that - there has been a huge amount of communication.
If someone doesn't trust they'll do it properly then don't use a lawyer. If you do and it can save you time, then great. Simple.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

richbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond repute

I really wish I'd found some of the info that I needed online but found it so hard to find up to date and accurate info.
Perhaps this prior post documenting my entire experience could have helped you, and may still be of help to others embarking on the CR-1 journey through DCF.

Ian, I suggest you go and ask someone else then if you don't like it. Go and find some better use of your time than negatively nit picking at others' posts. It doesn't seem like you are on here to help others or to ask any questions that you really need answers to, only just to critisise and be exactly as your tag line suggests.
While I may not always agree with his approach, let me be abundantly clear when I say that Ian was, and continues to be, immensely helpful to my wife and I on our journey.

Where you may perceive nit-picking, others often benefit greatly when they have received wrong information and he provides them with a course correction, out of his own willingness to help.

Just an additional two cents for you to consider.

Cheers, Rich.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 9:13 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Username.exe

Our primary reason was due to hearing bad experience stories (not just from this website) and not wanting that to happen to us. We didn't want anything to go wrong, get missed or get delayed longer than necessary. Finding accurate up to date info on the process on the internet/embassy websites was difficult. We'd also used a lawyer to aid the application for my partner's visa into the UK and had a great experience. The lawyers we have have now were recommended by them.
I have to say it's been a great experience. We are not left worrying and any questions, we just ask and they get answered. We fortunately didn't have to rely on plowing through the internet to find answers. The cost varies for different lawyers (we did ask around before we settled on the ones we have). We found that it can range from about £1500-5000) including all lawyers fees and visa costs).

Hope that helps.
Thank you for your response, CHW40.

For me, when looking at the cost/benefit/risk ratio for using lawyers it doesn't make sense for a standard CR1/IR1 type application. (I realise every case is different).
Others may disagree.

It's useful to understand and have a benchmark on the value of the advice dispensed through this forum, as well.
Old Apr 29th 2015, 11:55 am
Just Joined

Anash is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi CHW40
Thank you for being helpful. Your recent experiences are useful for people like us awaiting interviews.

Qts

1) How many days did it take to get visa in hand?
2) What DS-260 number did you use on that courier form? It asks for a number in addition to that case number.

Thanks.
Old Apr 29th 2015, 12:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anash
1) How many days did it take to get visa in hand?
In his first post, he notes that his interview isn't until May 5... therefore he has no idea, because he hasn't had his interview yet.

Ian
Old Apr 29th 2015, 1:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Anash...this is an Immigration forum and as such we prefer that posts keep on topic. If you have an issue with another member please take it to PM rather than air your feelings in the threads. Thank you.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

theJBs is an unknown quantity at this point

Ian provides very useful information and clarity. He has done so in other threads on this forum and haha often people don't appreciate his straight forward approach. I'm from the north of England and that approach is appreciated lol

Mr. JB