Reload this Page >

Clarification about originals required at an IR1 interview

Clarification about originals required at an IR1 interview

Old Apr 17th 2018, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

visa_hopper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Clarification about originals required at an IR1 interview

Hi all,

I'm preparing for my interview for IR1 in London in a couple of weeks. The I130 petition for me was filled direct to London, approved by USCIS London ("DCF").

On the embassy website
https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/famil...red-documents/
There is quite a clear list of documents.

For me, it'd be
- My (the non-USC) passport
- Two US passport-style photographs of me
- Appointment and courier confirmation
- My birthcertificate + a photocopy
- Our marriage certificate + photocopy
- ACRO + copy, and equivalent for my country of birth
- I864 + evidence associated with that

What is notably *not* there is
- Wife (the USC)'s birth certificate/passport (copies submitted with I130)
- Divorce documents for wife's previous marriage (copies submitted with I130)
- Evidence of domicile for wife

Last time I got a green card, it was by adjustment of status from F1, so at the interview I needed to present originals of *everything* and my wife was there. This is a different process, but still, don't want to screw up.

In some previous threads reporting experiences of interviews for similar cases, no one mentions providing originals for the USC-only things...

The main thing I'm worried about is my wife (the USCs) birth certificate and/or passport - those are in the USA with her, and we'd need to courier them back ASAP. I have her divorce documents with me, and domicile evidence is easy enough to collect.

Thanks for any clarification!
Old Apr 18th 2018, 12:54 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clarification about originals required at an IR1 interview

Two different processes. Two different sets of requirements.

They copies of her documents. Worry only if it makes you happy.
Old Apr 18th 2018, 11:01 am
Just Joined

fenbristol is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you receive a separate appointment confirmation letter, or is your "appointment and courier confirmation" the same letter? I only have the email confirming the courier and nothing else... my appointment is on the 30th so probably close to yours!

I don't think you need originals of your wife's birth certificate/passport – just a copy of either to prove their citizenship. Same for any joint I-864 sponsor you may have.

For domicile evidence, that's not listed on the Embassy website but it is requested in the I-864 instructions so you should probably try and take that. My wife is currently living in the UK with me so I'm taking a letter from her parents confirming we are staying with them, bank statements to show my wife still has funds in the US, a resignation letter for her current UK job, and evidence that she has voted in recent US elections. Hopefully that will be enough!
Old Apr 18th 2018, 11:10 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by visa_hopper
The main thing I'm worried about is my wife (the USCs) birth certificate and/or passport - those are in the USA with her, and we'd need to courier them back ASAP. I have her divorce documents with me, and domicile evidence is easy enough to collect.
If your USC wife is already in the USA, the "intent to domicile" issue is resolved. No need to bring proof to the interview.

Rene
Old Apr 19th 2018, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fenbristol
Did you receive a separate appointment confirmation letter, or is your "appointment and courier confirmation" the same letter? I only have the email confirming the courier and nothing else... my appointment is on the 30th so probably close to yours!

I don't think you need originals of your wife's birth certificate/passport – just a copy of either to prove their citizenship. Same for any joint I-864 sponsor you may have.

For domicile evidence, that's not listed on the Embassy website but it is requested in the I-864 instructions so you should probably try and take that. My wife is currently living in the UK with me so I'm taking a letter from her parents confirming we are staying with them, bank statements to show my wife still has funds in the US, a resignation letter for her current UK job, and evidence that she has voted in recent US elections. Hopefully that will be enough!
I have an email with subject line:
"Immigrant Visa - Appointment Confirmation"
that also has the Courier details. I *think* it was automatically generated from that interview slot selection site that required you to make an account on.

Got my medical this Saturday, then interview on the 3rd of May... going quick now!
Old Apr 20th 2018, 7:37 am
Just Joined

fenbristol is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an email with subject line:
"Immigrant Visa - Appointment Confirmation"
that also has the Courier details. I *think* it was automatically generated from that interview slot selection site that required you to make an account on.

Got my medical this Saturday, then interview on the 3rd of May... going quick now!
Ah yes, I have the same email. The email states "You must print this instruction page and bring it with you to your consular interview, along with the letter or email you received from the Consular Section." which is what's got me worried, as I have received no such email or letter from the Consular Section...
Old Apr 20th 2018, 12:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fenbristol
Ah yes, I have the same email. The email states "You must print this instruction page and bring it with you to your consular interview, along with the letter or email you received from the Consular Section." which is what's got me worried, as I have received no such email or letter from the Consular Section...
Procedures are changing and things are becoming more and more automated with online scheduling, etc.

If you don't get the letter, it is not a problem. Just bring the email and you will be allowed into the Embassy for your interview.
Old May 3rd 2018, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

What is notably *not* there is
- Wife (the USC)'s birth certificate/passport (copies submitted with I130)
- Divorce documents for wife's previous marriage (copies submitted with I130)
- Evidence of domicile for wife
In the end, none of these were needed, not even domicile.

- Divorce docs were already in file from I-130 filing.
- Domicile, seemed just satisfied with verbal answers.

Glad I brought things, but didn't need.

Overall, easy visit, approved without drama.
Old May 3rd 2018, 4:37 pm
Concierge

In the end, none of these were needed, not even domicile.

- Divorce docs were already in file from I-130 filing.
- Domicile, seemed just satisfied with verbal answers.

Glad I brought things, but didn't need.

Overall, easy visit, approved without drama.
Congratulations.

Always nice to have with you in case you get a newbie examiner but it is exceedingly rare that anyone is asked for proof of re-establishing domicile in the US.