Cash assets

Old Nov 19th 2017, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

Davethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cash assets

Hi all, if i am to use cash assets from the UK to make up the difference for my future wifes salery what are the rules on this? Ie, can i use this cash once in the US to buy a car, deposit for house etc or does it need to stay in an account to meet requirements?
Thanks.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 12:12 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cash assets

It is only required to show it to be approved for the visa, there are no requirements on holding it after approval.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davethegoat
Hi all, if i am to use cash assets from the UK to make up the difference for my future wifes salery what are the rules on this? Ie, can i use this cash once in the US to buy a car, deposit for house etc or does it need to stay in an account to meet requirements?
Thanks.
You can use it all up the second you cross into the US on the visa and the I-864 is enforced.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Davethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond reputeDavethegoat has a reputation beyond repute

Great, thanks peeps
Old Nov 19th 2017, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Also, i have a 10k loan. Now i am getting some money together in preperation to meet cash assets requirement im guessing im better off not paying my loan off in one go as they dont look into what debt i have, only how much money i have. Once in the US i can then pay off my loan straight away right?
Old Nov 19th 2017, 12:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

USCIS does not care at all about your debt. How you pay it is entirely up to you.

Rene
Old Nov 19th 2017, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Thats fantastic news for me, thanks.
Is there anything stopping me going to the bank and getting another 10k loan on top of my current loan to bump up my assets even more then? Or will they look at how recent i got all this money?
Old Nov 19th 2017, 1:18 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Is there anything stopping me going to the bank and getting another 10k loan on top of my current loan to bump up my assets even more then? Or will they look at how recent i got all this money?
For cash asset proof, you may be asked to show a year's worth of bank statements. If USCIS sees a chunk of money like $10K deposit, they will want to know where that money came from. A loan will need to be paid back, so won't be considered a good asset.

Besides which, starting your life in the USA with such large debt is probably not a good idea, aside from any USCIS issues. You might not be able to find a job for some time, and your spouse already doesn't earn a great deal.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Nov 19th 2017 at 1:20 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

This is where i am up too so far.
This years salery for usc is $11000 due to working part time.
As of now she is going to be working more hours ( we are both still finalising our devorces so we have time i guess )
So with her salery set to increase in 2018 plus i am very hopefull of getting a 30k redundency payout in june we have a starting point of reaching the requirements. The loan money will just be to help us reach the correct figures to make all this happen.
Lets say we get married in May, how long after we start the process will we have to show proof of salery and assets? Yes 2017 tax return will be bad but she will have proof that the start of 2018 she is working more?
Thanks
Old Nov 19th 2017, 2:15 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Not a good idea -- a loan is a liability, not an asset.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 3:10 pm

This is where i am up too so far.
This years salery for usc is $11000 due to working part time.
As both of you are still married, you can't even begin the immigration process until you are both divorced and free to remarry. Then you have to get married, file the I-130, and wait for that to be approved (4 - 6 months or so), THEN the I-864 comes into play. So you have a long time to prepare financially, which is good.

As of now she is going to be working more hours
And, hopefully, declaring ALL income, as she should be (including cash tips).

So with her salery set to increase in 2018 plus i am very hopefull of getting a 30k redundency payout in june we have a starting point of reaching the requirements.
Good start.

The loan money will just be to help us reach the correct figures to make all this happen.
You can't do something "just to help reach the correct figures". USCIS needs the savings to be real, not a loan just to help boost the figures. So forget taking out another 10K loan. The existing loan amount was already done, so that cash in the bank is OK, as it was done prior to knowing you want to immigrate (I assume).

Lets say we get married in May, how long after we start the process will we have to show proof of salery and assets?
If you get married in May 2018 and file the I-130 in May 2018, you can probably estimate that the I-864 might be due sometime in late 2018. Submitting the I-864 can also be delayed if you aren't quite there financially.

Yes 2017 tax return will be bad but she will have proof that the start of 2018 she is working more?
The I-864 goes by current income at the time the I-864 is submitted to NVC. So the I-864 figures will be whatever she earns plus your cash assets probably around late 2018.

Rene
Old Nov 19th 2017, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you very much for all your help people.
Just to confirm, i am not some low life schemer. Im just trying to learn what the rules are and find a way to be with the lady i love. I still find it hard to believe i can show i have cash assets but they are not interested if i have more than that in debt.
All your advice has been taken on board. Again a huge thank you. I would be lost without this site.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 3:54 pm

I'm sure no one thinks you're a low life. We are here to help.

Rene
Old Nov 19th 2017, 8:25 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
USCIS does not care at all about your debt. How you pay it is entirely up to you.

Rene
That doesn't seem logical. Surely assests are the amount of cash in the bank, less any debts owed.

If you own a £300k house and owe £250k on it, its value as an assest is £50k. In respect to the immigration requirement I would expect the same to apply to cash or other assests, and debts.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury
That doesn't seem logical. Surely assests are the amount of cash in the bank, less any debts owed.

If you own a £300k house and owe £250k on it, its value as an assest is £50k. In respect to the immigration requirement I would expect the same to apply to cash or other assests, and debts.
It depends on the debt. For property, yes, you can only use the equity in the home.

But for cash in the bank, the whole amount can be used, and one does not deduct debt like credit cards, auto loans, personal loans, student loans, etc.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.