Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Can future spouses sister sponsor me?..

Can future spouses sister sponsor me?..

Old Mar 31st 2015, 3:47 am
Just Joined

angel.adect is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can future spouses sister sponsor me?..

I am engaged to a wonderful US citizen and we have not got married because he does not earn enough.. His sister has offered to sponsor me and I am not sure if she can, I cannot find anything relating to that.. If it is here in a thread sorry ahead of time of not browsing thoroughly..
Old Mar 31st 2015, 5:03 am
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can future spouses sister sponsor me?..

Originally Posted by angel.adect
I am engaged to a wonderful US citizen and we have not got married because he does not earn enough.. His sister has offered to sponsor me and I am not sure if she can, I cannot find anything relating to that.. If it is here in a thread sorry ahead of time of not browsing thoroughly..
Yes, your fiancé's sister can sponsor if her income/assets meet the requirements (and assuming she's a USC/LPR over the age of 18). Read the instructions for the I134 and the I864 (including the I864p) and come back with any more questions.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 5:06 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

She can complete an I-134 affidavit of support for your K1 visa, yes.

When it comes time for you to adjust status after marriage, your husband must complete an I-864 Affidavit of support, even if he doesn't qualify financially. His sister can be a joint sponsor, assuming she meets the financial requirements.

The forms to look at are the I-134, I-864, the instructions for both, and the I-864P for the required income/asset level. All can be found at Homepage | USCIS.

Rene
Old Mar 31st 2015, 5:11 am
Just Joined

angel.adect is an unknown quantity at this point

This is not for a K1 visa sorry.. I am just wanting to know if she can sponsor me once we marry here in USA..
Old Mar 31st 2015, 10:27 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

So in that case, never mind the I-134. The affidavit of support for either an immigrant visa or an adjustment of status is the I-864. So whatever we said about the I-864 applies to you.

Can you give us a little more information? What's your current status in the USA?

Rene
Old Mar 31st 2015, 11:51 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Any USC or PR can be a joint sponsor for you, so long as they meet the financial requirements to do so. They don’t need to be a blood relative of either you or your fiancé.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 31st 2015 at 1:31 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 12:07 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angel.adect
This is not for a K1 visa sorry.
That's odd... because you mention he is your fiancé... not your husband.

I am just wanting to know if she can sponsor me once we marry here in USA..
It is illegal to enter the US as a visitor with the intent to stay to adjust status. So, if that's what you're planning... don't do it. If, however, you are already in the US in some status other than a visitor, it shouldn't be an issue.

That said, once you're married, your USC husband must be your sponsor. There is no option for him not to be your sponsor... even if he doesn't qualify financially. His sister can be a "joint sponsor" assuming she meets the income/assets requirement. The terms "sponsor" and "joint sponsor" are not interchangeable.

Ian

Ian
Old Mar 31st 2015, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Any USC or PR can sponsor you, so long as they meet the financial requirements to do so. They don’t need to be a blood relative of either you or your fiancée.
Joint sponsor.

Rene