Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

calilove7's DCF questions (moved from Timeline Only thread)

calilove7's DCF questions (moved from Timeline Only thread)

Old Jan 13th 2014, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

calilove7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default calilove7's DCF questions (moved from Timeline Only thread)

Hi everybody,

I received my approved petition letter in October but have not received any further instructions. Can anyone tell me if that's normal? What am I suppose to do after this letter? I figure we can just start filing for the Police Certificates first but what other paper work needs to be filled out and filed?

Also, on another note, both my husband and I are currently working in the U.K but want to relocate to the states. In terms of the Affidavit of support, has anyone else had problems with both your incomes being U.K based?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:20 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: calilove7's DCF questions (moved from Timeone Only thread)

Originally Posted by calilove7
Hi everybody,
Hi and Welcome to BE. You posted in a "Timeline Only" thread, so I created a new thread for you.

I received my approved petition letter in October but have not received any further instructions. Can anyone tell me if that's normal?
I'd say not normal. You filed the I-130 directly to London, correct? I'd say 3 months is too long, you should have heard something by now.

What am I suppose to do after this letter?
Get your medical done, and fill out the Immigrant Visa application forms. Probably need to turn something in to notify that you're ready to interview (after getting the medical done...they won't schedule an interview until they receive the medical results).

I figure we can just start filing for the Police Certificates first but what other paper work needs to be filled out and filed?
Oh, yes...absolutely get your police certificate...you should have done that by now anyway. You will need to take a copy of it to your medical exam. Go to the US Embassy London website and see what forms are required to be filled out for an Immigrant Visa, and you can get those filled out.

Also, on another note, both my husband and I are currently working in the U.K but want to relocate to the states. In terms of the Affidavit of support, has anyone else had problems with both your incomes being U.K based?
Everyone who is in your situation has "problems" with this. But it can be overcome. If your or your spouse's incomes will not be continuing from the same source once inside the USA, you can use assets at 3x the amount lacking in income. If you don't have enough in assets, you can use a joint sponsor. Go to www.uscis.gov, Forms, I-864, and read the instructions.

Rene
Old Jan 13th 2014, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: calilove7's DCF questions (moved from Timeline Only thread)

Rene, Thank you so much for your quick reply! Aside from the form I-130 and the Affidavit of support Form I-864, do I also have to fill out a D-260? I see it mentioned quite often.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 7:14 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Rene, Thank you so much for your quick reply! Aside from the form I-130 and the Affidavit of support Form I-864, do I also have to fill out a D-260? I see it mentioned quite often.
Did you check the US Embassy London website? All the forms / applications you will need to fill out are listed there.

Rene
Old Jan 13th 2014, 8:05 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Aside from the form I-130 and the Affidavit of support Form I-864, do I also have to fill out a D-260? I see it mentioned quite often.
Which one of you is the USC and which is the UKC? The USC completes the I-130 and I-864; the UKC completes the DS-260. There are other forms also, but knowing which one of you is which will make it easier to answer your questions.

Here's a hint for all future postings: if you want good information, you need to give good information.

Ian
Old Jan 13th 2014, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

I'm the USC and my husband is the UKC. I have been on the US Embassy website so many times but it's not clear at all what the process is. They keep saying they will send you more forms but essentially after I received my letter with the case number, I've heard nothing.

The only accompanying instructions to the letter with the case number was how to book a courier for the return of all my documents (after the interview). It makes it seem as if you should just wait for another letter with instructions or that they will send you an interview appointment letter. I know from reading the thread that I have to go make an appointment for the medical exam and bring the police certificate, then I can book an interview after the medical information is sent to the embassy but there's a lot of missing instructions there (for example, the letter didn't tell me I had to book the medical myself, most of the visas I've had to apply for sent me the appointment date automatically once my application was approved).

Is it just me or are they really terrible at instructions for the U.S green card? I did my U.K residence permit and all the steps were made really clear. I never had to go anywhere else for answers with that. :\
Old Jan 13th 2014, 8:37 pm

Is it just me or are they really terrible at instructions for the U.S green card?
No, it's not just you.

Also, things keep changing fairly often so they don't always keep the website up to date, that's why it's good to check here. But at least the website does tell you which forms need to be filled out and/or submitted.

I'd be of more help, but I'm not really current either, on how DCF paperwork is handled. All I know is the order of things...such as once the I-130 is approved, you get the LND case number and book your medical. Then you complete the visa application forms and let the embassy know you're ready to interview. When they receive the results of your medical exam, they will set and interview date and notify you of it. I'm not sure if anything is done by regular mail anymore...I was thinking it's all (or mostly) by email now.

Rene
Old Jan 13th 2014, 9:37 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Is it just me or are they really terrible at instructions for the U.S green card?
Well, the instructions certainly are dismal - I think we've been moaning about that for as long as I've been a member here, and for several years prior to that also.

One thing that might help, is to make sure you call things by their correct name. For example, you're not looking for instructions about getting a US green card... you're looking for instructions on the immigrant visa process. The end result of all the paperwork you're about to file is that your husband will get an immigrant visa in his passport. They day he enters the US with that immigrant visa, he'll get a stamp in his passport that provides proof for one year of his status as a green card holder (permanent resident) until the actual card comes in the mail a few weeks later. Hope this helps.

Ian
Old Jan 14th 2014, 9:54 am
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

The only accompanying instructions to the letter with the case number was how to book a courier for the return of all my documents (after the interview). It makes it seem as if you should just wait for another letter with instructions or that they will send you an interview appointment letter. I know from reading the thread that I have to go make an appointment for the medical exam and bring the police certificate, then I can book an interview after the medical information is sent to the embassy but there's a lot of missing instructions there (for example, the letter didn't tell me I had to book the medical myself, most of the visas I've had to apply for sent me the appointment date automatically once my application was approved).

\
From what I've read on here the letter should have contained a weblink for you to go to for further information. A 2 minute trawl of the London Embassy website and I found this:

"Applicants who have received a letter from the Immigrant Visa Unit at the Embassy advising them that an approved petition has been received in their name and of the case number accorded to their application, should follow this link for further information."

http://london.usembassy.gov/ds2001.html

Which then contains lots of info and links to further forms needed.