Best way!

Old Jan 16th 2018, 3:27 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best way!

Originally Posted by theroon

Ok..I've just been reading that there is a confidential option, or a public one. Confidential option involves no witnesses but you have to swear you live together. Just hope that won't be seen badly by the immigration people.
Witnesses can be anyone. The courthouse usually has a few extra people around to witness, might cost $50 more, but shouldn't be an issue. USCIS doesn't care who the witnesses are.

Rene
Old Jan 16th 2018, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

theroon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Witnesses can be anyone. The courthouse usually has a few extra people around to witness, might cost $50 more, but shouldn't be an issue. USCIS doesn't care who the witnesses are.

Rene
Wow!! That sounds a bit nuts but great to know. Thanks.
Old Jan 16th 2018, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

BigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure. I suppose she could ask. Just thought it would be easier and people wouldn't have to take time off, but I'll research a bit more.

Congratulations by the way! Sounds like you had quite a journey!

Are you living in LA?
I'm not gonna lie, it has been rough.

Hopefully soon I will be back in LA my wife is there and we have no plans to leave, well not for the next ten years at least.
Old Jan 16th 2018, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BigT103
I'm not gonna lie, it has been rough.

Hopefully soon I will be back in LA my wife is there and we have no plans to leave, well not for the next ten years at least.
Good luck mate - hope all goes well for you. I am lucky that we both have UK passports. Hopefully it will be a fairly smooth process...
Old Jan 16th 2018, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

BigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck mate - hope all goes well for you. I am lucky that we both have UK passports. Hopefully it will be a fairly smooth process...
Likewise buddy.
Old Jan 16th 2018, 4:55 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Ok..I've just been reading that there is a confidential option, or a public one. Confidential option involves no witnesses but you have to swear you live together. Just hope that won't be seen badly by the immigration people.
I was married in city hall in NY and our witnesses were court personnel. You don't have to know them
Old Jan 17th 2018, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
I was married in city hall in NY and our witnesses were court personnel. You don't have to know them
Wow! So you just ask them and they say yes?
Old Jan 17th 2018, 10:33 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! So you just ask them and they say yes?
Yes, it's quite common here. They know that's part of the job working there. The JP calls them in.

Rene
Old Jan 17th 2018, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes, it's quite common here. They know that's part of the job working there. The JP calls them in.

Rene
Ok. I've just been looking at the process in LA. We can buy a marriage licence online and then have to collect it in person. Once we have it we can arrange a civil ceremony and pay $20 for a court witness. We then need to register the licence and collect a certificate. My only concern is getting all that done in a week - we arrive Thursday 22nd March - Depart Sunday 1 April.
So, collect licence on Thursday 22nd March.
Civil ceremony 23rd March.
Register and collect copies the following week in person. Does all that sound doable? My concern is that they won't have any slots available for the ceremony etc.
Any tips gratefully received!
Old Jan 17th 2018, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

Ok. I've just been looking at the process in LA. We can buy a marriage licence online and then have to collect it in person. Once we have it we can arrange a civil ceremony and pay $20 for a court witness. We then need to register the licence and collect a certificate. My only concern is getting all that done in a week - we arrive Thursday 22nd March - Depart Sunday 1 April.
So, collect licence on Thursday 22nd March.
Civil ceremony 23rd March.
Register and collect copies the following week in person. Does all that sound doable? My concern is that they won't have any slots available for the ceremony etc.
Any tips gratefully received!
I don't think you will get the copies of the certificate in a week, we had to wait 6-8 weeks and take a long drive out to Norwalk to collect them.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BigT103
I don't think you will get the copies of the certificate in a week, we had to wait 6-8 weeks and take a long drive out to Norwalk to collect them.
Thanks. That's what I feared. Thinking of going down the married in one hour route. A bit more expensive but seems less hassle.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks. That's what I feared. Thinking of going down the married in one hour route. A bit more expensive but seems less hassle.
I think getting married in Vegas would be your answer mate
Old Jan 17th 2018, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Sucks that CA is so slow. Here in NC I got married at the courthouse, went over to the registrar and had a certified copy of the certificate ready right away.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tom169
Sucks that CA is so slow. Here in NC I got married at the courthouse, went over to the registrar and had a certified copy of the certificate ready right away.
We were married in a hotel, maybe it's quicker in the courthouse.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tom169
That's fantastic! Exactly what I need.