Best Visa Routes.

Old Jul 24th 2017, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

Alex T is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best Visa Routes.

Hi everyone,

I'm a 20y/o UKC, currently dating a 19 y/o USC. We have been dating for just over a year and a half, and i'm starting to consider what my next steps are. She lives in Florida, and I want to move out there. I already know that i'm happy to marry her.

I'm an apprentice currently working in cyber security, working towards my degree. I'll have my degree in 3 years. She is a student who is studying to be a nurse, she'll graduate in 4-5 years.

What are our options here? We obviously want to be together as soon as possible however we know it could take a long time.

Just a couple of questions:
  1. What is the best visa route to take in our situation? E.g K1 visa, Work Visa, CR1 visa.
  2. I'm still a little confused about the visa process, is this documented anywhere?
  3. If she isn't earning the $24k minimum earning allowance, what other ways are there to meet this?
  4. Should i be saving any money, how much does this process of moving countries cost?

Thanks in advance for your help?
Old Jul 24th 2017, 3:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best Visa Routes.

1. K1 or CR1 your call.

2. USCIS web site here and Visa Journey

3.Then you will need a joint sponsor.

4. Save as much as you can, not cheap.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 3:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex T
Hi everyone,

Just a couple of questions:
  1. What is the best visa route to take in our situation? E.g K1 visa, Work Visa, CR1 visa.
  1. [*]
  2. [*]
  3. [*]
Thanks in advance for your help?
Yes, save money like your life depends on it ... because it does. The cost for the visa, depending on the one you use, can cost you up to $3,500. If you go the K-1 there is then the over $2,000 cost for the adjustment of status. Then the fact that you will need money to live on until you have the ability to work and can find employment.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, Alex T! Welcome to the forum.

Boiler has answered your questions, but I just wanted to direct you to this wiki: Comparison of marriage-based visas : British Expat Wiki

As a spouse visa is most likely your best bet, it is worth having a read of the above - it will assist you in choosing a direction in which to move forward. (The page says it's currently under construction, but from my knowledge it still appears to give you at least the basic general guidelines.)

I am currently going through the motions to apply for a CR-1 visa - my husband and I expected to pay around $2,000 during the process, and imagined a timeline of around 8-10 months, which is the average. I can't speak for other visas, but I believe the K-1 has roughly the same figures. The timelines are especially worth consideration for you as you're in the middle of your education.

Good luck!
Old Jul 24th 2017, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

Cross-posted with Rete. Great links - must be great minds!
Old Jul 24th 2017, 3:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

This is the site for the US Embassy/London.

You need to read the Fiancee Visa and the Immediate Relative Visa links

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/
Old Jul 24th 2017, 4:23 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

We have been dating for just over a year and a half...
In another thread, someone said they were dating for 5 years, but had only met the girl 3 weeks earlier. That's not dating!

So, have you actually met face to face? That'll help to determine your next steps.

We obviously want to be together as soon as possible however we know it could take a long time.
A long time... yes - about 3 years for you and about 4-5 years for her... because neither of you should deal with immigration while you're still going to school on different continents. If you do, one of you will likely never finish!

Ian
Old Jul 24th 2017, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
A long time... yes - about 3 years for you and about 4-5 years for her... because neither of you should deal with immigration while you're still going to school on different continents. If you do, one of you will likely never finish!

Ian
I must say, Alex, this is really worth bearing in mind. I was half-way through my degree when my husband (then fiancé) and I began planning our wedding and my subsequent immigration. While I do think that with meticulous planning and organisation, it is possible to get through the process unscathed, there is no denying that the emotional upheaval (for both of you, but especially the one immigrating, so you in this hypothetical) is quite significant. Uprooting yourself and starting over is a big deal all by itself, and it takes a lot of planning. Add that to the immigration logistics, and it's a lot of stress. Add that to maintaining a long-distance relationship, and studying full-time, and presumably also working to finance all of the above, and I can assure you it's quite a lot to have on one's plate!

I got through my degree and am mid-way through the immigration paperwork, and it's a very rewarding place to be in now, but I can certainly say that my husband and I felt the strain. He was caring for his terminally ill (now deceased) mother for 15 months of that, too. It was a test of our relationship, that's for sure. I appreciate this is all relative, but do be mindful of how much you take on at once, especially in such a young relationship. Good luck to you!
Old Jul 24th 2017, 5:18 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

1. Should i be saving any money,

Yes, even if immigration isn't on the cards, you should be saving money.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 7:09 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

Should i be saving any money, how much does this process of moving countries cost?
Yep!

Depending on what visa you're going to be going for it'll vary.

I moved to the US last year and it cost me around $8k all in (including my recent adjustment of status fee's) This consisted of flights & hotel for a week to find my apartment which included a large deposit. and then a one way flight back out when i finally moved.

Bear in mind, i walked into a job on day 1 i moved here because my move was employment based originally, so i had $ coming in.

Depending on where you're going to be moving, cost of living, what accommodation needs you have - it's going to vary greatly.

On my experience of incurred costs after i moved here, car, insurance, etc -
I'd say ball park amount you'd want is $10k in the bank minimum dedicated to incurred costs of moving, until you can get a job in the US.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 9:08 pm
Concierge

Alex T ... The poster, Jack8602, did not come to the US under a marriage-based visa so his expenses which he detailed included expenses that you will not incur as you are entertaining a marriage-based visa with a US Citizen who has already established a separate domicile in the US and therefore you don't have to worry about deposits for utilities, new apartment security deposits.

For the K-1 the cost is the filing of the initial I-129F in the US by the US Citizen fiancée. From there when approved it is forwarded to the US Embassy in London where you will need to get police clearance certificate, have a medical at Knightsbridge, pay the cost of the K-1 immigration visa and the cost for the courier to deliver the approved visa which is placed inside your passport back to you from the Embassy. Of course, this does not entail the little odds and ends such as passport photos, copies, obtaining a long form birth certificate (the short form most Brits have is not accepted), etc.

For the CR-1 visa, there is the cost of filing the I-130 in the US by your then US Citizen spouse. Then it is forwarded to the National Visa Center where fees are paid for adjudication of the affidavit of support, and perhaps other fees as well. Then it is sent to the US Embassy where you will again need the police clearance certificate, medical, courier fee, fee for the production of the green card, etc. Also include the mundane costs for the items at the end of the paragraph above.

All in all just the visa(s) alone are expensive and if you go the K-1, there are additional fees to be had once you are in the US and married because you have to file for adjustment of status, which includes forms for the employment authorization and the right to travel outside of the US (Canada, the Caribbean and Mexico are considered out of the country) without abandoning your pending adjustment before the adjudication of the adjustment of status.

Then, of course, there is the costs for traveling back and forth to visit and perhaps to marry if you are going the CR-1 route. But that you would have had to spend anyway if you wanted to continue the relationship.

The entire process takes time, money, effort, lots of frustration, and patience. We have all done it so we are selling the t-shirts on the side

Please return and let us know your thoughts. If you are interested in the K-1 fiancée visa then I suggest you start a thread entitled with the words K-1 visa in it and if you are entertaining thoughts on the CR-1, then again put CR-1 in the subject line. It is easier for you to keep information on both processes separate. Far less confusing.

And also, when you are reading the site, there is another marriage-based visa option that is not an option for you. It is called DCF - direct consular filing. As your US Citizen love interest does not have the right to live in the UK, she is not able to file for you directly at the US Embassy, bypassing the USCIS entirely which cuts time off the entire process. So disregard any timelines for this process or threads on it because it will only confuse you more.

Last edited by Rete; Jul 24th 2017 at 9:29 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 2:23 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Alex T ... The poster, Jack8602, did not come to the US under a marriage-based visa so his expenses which he detailed included expenses that you will not incur as you are entertaining a marriage-based visa with a US Citizen who has already established a separate domicile in the US and therefore you don't have to worry about deposits for utilities, new apartment security deposits.
Yes, different visa but near on all the same expenses will be incurred minus utilities & apartment - He's still going to need a car, insurance, healthcare until job is found, phone plan etc.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 2:32 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Jack8602
Yes, different visa but near on all the same expenses will be incurred minus utilities & apartment - He's still going to need a car, insurance, healthcare until job is found, phone plan etc.
Very true but with a spouse that already has an apartment and perhaps a car and a phone plan and perhaps a job with healthcare, he would have less to worry about as he can go on her healthcare, her auto insurance, her phone plan, etc. These are all the things my husband was able to do when we married and he immigrated to the US. The only thing our marriage cost him was moving expenses from Ottawa to New York .... lucky man.

But I agree with you, it always good to have at minimum $5,000 tucked away for those unplanned expenses.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 2:38 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack8602
Having a USC spouse makes a difference. He can use her car, get on her car and health insurance, share a phone plan etc.

Rene
Old Jul 26th 2017, 4:43 am
Just Joined

AlexKennedy is an unknown quantity at this point

Different visa but near on all the same expenses will be incurred minus utilities & apartment. yes, he would have less to worry about as he can go on her healthcare, her auto insurance, her phone plan, etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.