Reload this Page >

Before the Interview Jitters - advice sought

Before the Interview Jitters - advice sought

Old Nov 2nd 2017, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Sister Luck is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Before the Interview Jitters - advice sought

Hi All!

I just joined here today and introduced myself over in the Welcome Inn. Was referred by an Aussie friend who uses this forum to offer her experienced advice often.

So, I'm American and my husband is British (we were married earlier this year). We live in the US. He is adjusting his 15-year status here in the States from an E-2 business Visa to Green card marriage status.

We are are expecting the "interview" notification to arrive any time now. To date, We have filed the following forms:
G-28 (Attorney Representation Notice)
I-864 (Affidavit of Support)
G-325A (Biographic Information)
I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative - spouse)
I-485 (Permanent Residence or Adjust Status)
I-765 (Application for Employment Authorization)
I-131 (Application for Travel Document)

We've received several Form I-797C (Notice of Action in process...several of those...all with appropriate action being taken on the above forms)

....and now Travel Document awarded with work permit for one year (that ID card arrived about 6 weeks ago).

So, we expect the initial interview notice should be forthcoming any time. Has anyone on here any idea when that may arrive based on the info I've provided above? And further, has anyone here any experience with said interview? We aren't too stressed over the questions they could ask...I'm pretty sure we know each other well enough to say who sleeps on what side and what toothpaste we use or any number of those types of silly things. We have pictures that go back to when we met in 2014. Just how much should we prepare...or should we not sweat it really? It looms in the back of our minds...

Any advice or information on timeframe/expectations and what's next after the interview are greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
SL

Last edited by Sister Luck; Nov 2nd 2017 at 5:46 pm. Reason: updated Form list
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 5:15 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Before the Interview Jitters - advice sought

Hopefully you didn't miss filing the I-485. It's missing from your list.

The interview will be easy, as you said.

As for how long it takes, I'm not sure how long AOS cases are taking these days.... I'm sure someone will speak up shortly.

Rene
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Ah yes...the I-485...I did miss typing that one in (Permanent Residence or Adjust Status form). That too was filed. I'll edit my original post to include that as well.

We're expecting the interview questions to not be too bad. Do we need to come with photo albums and cards, letters and such? Our attorney will not be with us. He operates out of South Florida and we live in Orlando. My husband has used him for years with his E-2 visa, so he felt confident with keeping him on for the status change. But he has let us know we are on our own for the interview. He's not traveling 4 hours to sit with us (and who can blame him?)

Cheers,
SL
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 6:05 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like we're a similar amount of time in, albeit filing from different statuses (I'm on an L1B)

My filed date was May 22nd, i got my travel doc and work permit back on August 24th, heard nothing since. My i130 case just says 'Case was received' and i485 is on 'Fingerprint Fee Was Received' - despite me going and doing biometrics back in June.

I've not even looked at the interview yet, I'm just waiting on getting that scheduled and then I'll worry about it
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 7:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The questions that you are anticipating, i.e. who sleeps on the left, what color is his toothbrush, are only asked during Stoke Interviews which is routinely done in the State of Kentucky.

You will be asked questions about how you met, have you met his family, do you have photos of your wedding, etc. Just mundane little questions.

If you don't mind, could you give a list of supporting documentation you sent with your paperwork. You should bring all originals with you that you previously sent and it is helpful if you make up a file of everything that was submitted for your own personal file. It is wise to bring updated information with you to the interview, i.e. additional bank statements, new income tax returns if the interview isn't until after April 15, 2018, who is beneficiary of work related benefits such as healthcare, life insurance.

What they really want to see is that your lives are commingled both socially and financially. Do you share a joint bank account, credit card, receive mail at the same address, attend family or business functions together. You get the drift.

The interview, itself, is anti-climatic. Some examiners are personable, some are not. Don't take away a negative thought if yours is business only.
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

MetaRidley is an unknown quantity at this point

We filed in November 2016 and had our interview in September 2017, so about 10 months total. My I485 status never changed from 'Fingerprint fee was received' until after the interview.

Don't stress out about the interview, it will likely be very straightforward. You'll want to obviously treat it with the respect it deserves but the officer won't be trying to catch you out, they will likely just ask a few questions and ask to see a few pieces of evidence that your marriage is legit (bank statements, mortgage/lease, insurance, wedding photos, trips taken together etc)
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Wow Meta...! 10 months? That's a shocker.

And yes, it goes without saying we will be respectful. We have the joint banking account, wedding photos, trip photos all that. I'm not on the mortgage though...he bought the home in 2007 long before we met in 2014. But that shouldn't be a problem I would imagine.