Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Beans...what's your fill?

Beans...what's your fill?

Old Oct 27th 2009, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beans...what's your fill?

Originally Posted by tonrob
Heinz Vegetarian Baked Beans (not available everywhere) are the U.S. version of British baked beans, given that American-style baked beans (a) have meat in them and (b) are minging. I'm not a Heinz lover (prefer Branston Baked Beans myself) but I believe that those who are find them acceptable.

In actual fact it's more common round our way to find imported (British) Heinz Baked Beans on the shelf (albeit at up to $2 a pop) than it is to find Heinz Vegetarian Baked Beans.

If, however, your objective is simply to fart more then can I respectfully suggest home-made sprout and cauliflower curry. Works a charm on Mrs tonrob.
If it was just cauliflower curry then fine but not sure I could handle any sprouts. Off to watch my Blazing Saddles dvd before I finish packing.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 2:32 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You're home these days, Bob.

Why not MAKE your own beans. It isn't hard really and you can experiment until you hit on the right ingredients for you.

I love Bush Brand beans (most all varities) and don't like BM or Campell's at all.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Hove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bob
Well it's getting a bit chilly down here, so trying out some new beans, seems to be loads of them these days.

Heinz are great on toast but to pricey, the US veg version ain't to bad a substitute.

B&M beans are generally quite nice, especially the maple/brown sugar and pork and the onion one.

Bush, not to keen on except the chillie ones which make a great base for stuff....anyone tried the grill jobbies?

Anything else worth trying?

And yes, I'm a tad bored
Walmarts PORK and BEANS not baked beans
Old Oct 27th 2009, 7:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
My father ALWAYS wanted his bread buttered for sandwiches my mother not. However my father's grandparents, both sides came over from the UK, my mother's not. Methinks it is a bit of a cultural thing also.

Mu husband and his family as well but then they are Canadian of English and Irish parentage. I don't like the taste of butter on a sandwich. I use a condiment such as mayo or spicy mustard (not that stinky yellow stuff DH likes).

Man he eats his hamburger with pickle relish, yellow mustard, ketchup, onion and cheese. Gross. And in Canada you get your hot dog the same way but with an addition of lettuce and tomato. Yucky.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 8:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre

When I lived in UK, I stopped buying & Heinz & got hooked on the Crosse & Blackwell.
Those and Branston baked beans I've seen a lot around my way, in Hannafords and Shaws.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 8:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
You're home these days, Bob.

Why not MAKE your own beans. It isn't hard really and you can experiment until you hit on the right ingredients for you.

I love Bush Brand beans (most all varities) and don't like BM or Campell's at all.
To lazy, plus would make way to much and it's only me and the little 'un who likes beans and our freezer is the tiny fridge freezer bit so no room to store.

That and it's not something I'd eat every day, just every now and again the comfort factor takes hold and I fancy some...it's like the missus really fancying kraft mac and cheese and hotdogs when she was in England, Sainsburys had it but it weren't half pricey
Old Oct 27th 2009, 8:08 pm
Concierge

Hmmm, I understand

My comfort foods are homemade Mac and Cheese with or without Ham; Stuffed broiled hot dogs (stuff with cheesy mashed potatoes and wrapped with a slice of bacon and then broiled); chunky potato soup.

Originally Posted by Bob
To lazy, plus would make way to much and it's only me and the little 'un who likes beans and our freezer is the tiny fridge freezer bit so no room to store.

That and it's not something I'd eat every day, just every now and again the comfort factor takes hold and I fancy some...it's like the missus really fancying kraft mac and cheese and hotdogs when she was in England, Sainsburys had it but it weren't half pricey
Old Oct 27th 2009, 8:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Hmmm, I understand

My comfort foods are homemade Mac and Cheese with or without Ham; Stuffed broiled hot dogs (stuff with cheesy mashed potatoes and wrapped with a slice of bacon and then broiled); chunky potato soup.
Oooh....that stuffed hotdog sounds pretty good....
Old Oct 27th 2009, 8:12 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Bob
Oooh....that stuffed hotdog sounds pretty good....

Ohhh believe me, it is. Put a little of your beans on the side and you will toasty warm and comforted.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 8:17 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm, I understand

My Starch-atarian dream come true!!!!

Hot dog bun, or no? Toasted, steamed or cold?
I'm dribbling... nom.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 8:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Ohhh believe me, it is. Put a little of your beans on the side and you will toasty warm and comforted.
daft question though, but how dya stuff a hotdog?
Old Oct 27th 2009, 8:25 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Don't you think that what we think of as comfort foods, are stick to the ribs stuff? I've never known anyone to say that a chef's salad or watercress sandwiches are what makes them feel all warm.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 12:51 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Bob
daft question though, but how dya stuff a hotdog?

You split it down the length (but leave the two sides attached)

Hint when mashing the potatoes, don't add milk. Just butter and cheddar cheese and a little sour CREAM if you like.

PS No bun

Last edited by Rete; Oct 28th 2009 at 12:22 pm. Reason: Corrected my very bad typo
Old Oct 28th 2009, 6:39 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Those and Branston baked beans I've seen a lot around my way, in Hannafords and Shaws.
Yeah same here. I will buy any beans as long as it doesn't have brown sugar or molasses in it.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

Jo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant futureJo1973 has a brilliant future

If you have a Kroger nearby, check out their (Own Brand) Vegetarian Beans in Tomato Sauce, very cheaply priced and actually taste pretty good (Just like Sainsburys or Tesco's cheap beans lol).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.