Apply for green card I-130 for father

Apply for green card I-130 for father

Old May 2nd 2011, 11:39 pm
Just Joined

realexpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Apply for green card I-130 for father

Hi All,

I am US citizen and
I am applying for my father's green card , he lives in India .
can please some one tell me or share there experience ..what forms i need to send ..

in my knowledge I am sending .

form I-130 ..

need to know .

1. should i send G325 also or just a I-130
2. do i need to send any picture also.
3. and any one knows how long it takes to get approved ..approx.
4. i have my birth certificate in Indian language ..so should I get translated or my school documents from India will work too.
5.I dont have my parents marriage certificate.
6 . and when I need to send I 864 and g325 ..?

Thanks in advance for help.

Regards
San
Old May 2nd 2011, 11:46 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Apply for green card I-130 for father

San, please start with this page: http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/Resources/A1en.pdf

You will see the I-130 is the starting point; find the 'forms' section on uscis.gov and go to the I-130 page; read the instructions very carefully.

Your birth certificate (which you should have presented in other immigration cases you've had?) must be translated by a certified translator & both documents turned in.

Your father should expect about a year from filing I-130 to receiving his visa. Males in India will have a short period of 'administrative review/processing' after the interview.
this page explains what happens after the petition is approved: Consular Processing
This is when you will turn in your affidavit of support I-864 (among other documents).

btw, the correct name for what you are doing is "petitioning your father for an immigrant visa" (not applying for a green card, even if the result is the same).
Old May 3rd 2011, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
San, please start with this page: http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/Resources/A1en.pdf

You will see the I-130 is the starting point; find the 'forms' section on uscis.gov and go to the I-130 page; read the instructions very carefully.

Your birth certificate (which you should have presented in other immigration cases you've had?) must be translated by a certified translator & both documents turned in.

Your father should expect about a year from filing I-130 to receiving his visa. Males in India will have a short period of 'administrative review/processing' after the interview.
this page explains what happens after the petition is approved: Consular Processing
This is when you will turn in your affidavit of support I-864 (among other documents).

btw, the correct name for what you are doing is "petitioning your father for an immigrant visa" (not applying for a green card, even if the result is the same).
Thanks ..meauxna
Old May 4th 2011, 2:28 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by realexpat
Hi All,

I am US citizen and
I am applying for my father's green card , he lives in India .
can please some one tell me or share there experience ..what forms i need to send ..

in my knowledge I am sending .

form I-130 ..

need to know .

1. should i send G325 also or just a I-130
2. do i need to send any picture also.
3. and any one knows how long it takes to get approved ..approx.
4. i have my birth certificate in Indian language ..so should I get translated or my school documents from India will work too.
5.I dont have my parents marriage certificate.
6 . and when I need to send I 864 and g325 ..?

Thanks in advance for help.

Regards
San
Just as an aside, he is your father, not your wife. The reason that I say this is that the pics and the G-325 are requirements for spousal I-130's only [not that it would harm if you provided them].

Take a look at the reciprocity table at http://travel.state.gov for the birth certificate requirements. They want that birth certificate along with translation [that said, I've seen many Indian documents in both Hindi & English]. The school records are "secondary" evidence when that birth certificate is not available.

On the marriage certificate, a strong argument can be made that you don't need it since you would be allowed to apply California law -- but it will be easier if you don't make the adjudicators at CIS think.

On the length of time, you need two items of information to make that determination: the date you file and the date he arrives. As a general rule, anything else will be a matter of speculation. [BTW, everyone wants to know how long and that is one of those indeterminable mysteries of the Universe].
Old May 23rd 2011, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Just as an aside, he is your father, not your wife. The reason that I say this is that the pics and the G-325 are requirements for spousal I-130's only [not that it would harm if you provided them].

Take a look at the reciprocity table at http://travel.state.gov for the birth certificate requirements. They want that birth certificate along with translation [that said, I've seen many Indian documents in both Hindi & English]. The school records are "secondary" evidence when that birth certificate is not available.

On the marriage certificate, a strong argument can be made that you don't need it since you would be allowed to apply California law -- but it will be easier if you don't make the adjudicators at CIS think.

On the length of time, you need two items of information to make that determination: the date you file and the date he arrives. As a general rule, anything else will be a matter of speculation. [BTW, everyone wants to know how long and that is one of those indeterminable mysteries of the Universe].
Thanks a lot..