Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS from L-1B to Green Card – My experience

AOS from L-1B to Green Card – My experience

Old Aug 18th 2017, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

mmenarry is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AOS from L-1B to Green Card – My experience

Thought I’d relay my experience to help others.

Originally came to the US on an L-1B, with the company I work for. Prior to the L-1B, was with them for just over a year as a perm, 6 months as a contractor before that.
L1B process was pretty straightforward, as I hold qualifications in multiple fields.

Coming to the end of my first L-1B stint (18 months as my passport had 18 months left on it), I suggested to my company to go for a green card (as my wife is a USC). Obviously this was an easy enough decision for them, as it was easier/cheaper than multiple L-1B renewals or a GC through labor certification or whatever that route is called.

I-94 from the L-1B had a date of late April on it.

Timeline:

Dec 2016 – review with company attorney on requirements
Jan 2017 – started gathering documents, filling in forms, etc.
Jan 18th 2017 – paperwork sent to attorney
Jan 20th 2017 – Medical review & vaccinations. Extra tests done to confirm lack of TB etc.
Jan 30th 2017 – Medical docs etc. received by attorney
Feb 17th 2017 – Application for GC, EAD & AP filed by attorney
Mar 6th 2017 – Notices of receipt received in mail for all 3 applications
Mar 10th 2017 – Receive appointment notice for biometrics
Mar 24th 2017 – Biometrics. Simple & Straightforward process
Apr 4th 2017 – Attorney files for L-1B extension (as I-94 date was 21st April) The company wanted to make sure all bases were covered and to prevent any complications with employment
Apr 19th 2017 – Receipt of notice of L-1B extension application
May 2nd 2017 – Receive notice that EAD card being printed (no similar notice for AP)
May 5th 2017 – Card received in mail, is a combined EAD/AP card
May 23rd 2017 – L-1B approval notice received
Jul 13th 2017 – Notice of interview
Aug 17th 2017 – Interview at 2pm
Aug 17th 2017 – 6pm Email saying card in production

Now just waiting on the physical card. My wife and I are married for over 7 years, so this made it very easy to show evidence of a bona fide marriage. UCIS officer was friendly & courteous, and still went through all the required documentation & steps. At the end of the interview (approx. 20 minutes or so), she said she needed to review & make sure the documentation etc. was all correct, and we should hear soon. Then got the automated email three hours later.

The various notification systems (text, email & paper mail) aren’t perfect. Got some notifications but not others. All the mailed ones seemed to come through ok though. I’d suggest signing up to all to make sure you get your notifications. Waiting is the hardest part of it all (after paperwork). Was useful having a company attorney looking through all of it as a second check, but there was nothing too complicated in the actual application paperwork.

Hope that helps others see what the process is.

M.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS from L-1B to Green Card – My experience

Congratulations!