Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS from K1 - Medical Required? Confused...

AOS from K1 - Medical Required? Confused...

Old Oct 17th 2003, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karen D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud of
Default AOS from K1 - Medical Required? Confused...

Hi

I entered the US on a K1 visa on Sept 1st, having undergone my medical and interview in London on Aug 29th.

I am now completing the AOS forms package and am trying to establish whether I need to complete, either now or later, I-693 for the medical examination.

I have read various experiences and posts on this forum and have also just spoken to a BCIS officer to clarify whether I need to undergo another medical and complete I-693, but I am more confused than ever!

The BCIS officer said that the medical form IS required, I questioned this and mentioned my recent K1 medical. He said that even if I have just had a medical as a K1, I still need to do another one for AOS.

I have read on this forum that adjusting status from K1, I simply need to provide a vaccination supplement.

HELP! Do I need to undergo another medical, or will the one I had recently in London suffice? Do I need to complete I-693 at all or just a vaccination supplement?

Which is the correct advice, pleeeeaaaassseee

If I only need a vaccination supplement, how do I obtain an up to date form? I found this link on a previous post, can I use it, is it up to date?
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/pdf/cs_va_1.pdf

One further question, we were married in CT and I live in RI. Can we file in person in Boston (before Oct 30th)?

Thanks!
Old Oct 17th 2003, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritishInOhio will become famous soon enough
Default Re: AOS from K1 - Medical Required? Confused...

Originally posted by Karen D
Hi

I entered the US on a K1 visa on Sept 1st, having undergone my medical and interview in London on Aug 29th.

I am now completing the AOS forms package and am trying to establish whether I need to complete, either now or later, I-693 for the medical examination.

I have read various experiences and posts on this forum and have also just spoken to a BCIS officer to clarify whether I need to undergo another medical and complete I-693, but I am more confused than ever!

The BCIS officer said that the medical form IS required, I questioned this and mentioned my recent K1 medical. He said that even if I have just had a medical as a K1, I still need to do another one for AOS.

I have read on this forum that adjusting status from K1, I simply need to provide a vaccination supplement.

HELP! Do I need to undergo another medical, or will the one I had recently in London suffice? Do I need to complete I-693 at all or just a vaccination supplement?

Which is the correct advice, pleeeeaaaassseee

If I only need a vaccination supplement, how do I obtain an up to date form? I found this link on a previous post, can I use it, is it up to date?
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/pdf/cs_va_1.pdf

One further question, we were married in CT and I live in RI. Can we file in person in Boston (before Oct 30th)?

Thanks!
I did'nt need another medical for my AOS interview here in Columbus OH and it was over 18 months after I had the medical for my K-1 in London. The medical I read somewhere is good for 1 year but I had no problem with mine being 18 months old. Just take your vaccination papers and there should be no problem.
Good luck.
Old Oct 17th 2003, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

Sols is an unknown quantity at this point

Same here. I applied for AOS in person at the Denver office and all they asked for was the vaccination supplement given to me by the Doc at my K1 medical examination. All they wanted was a photocopy for their files.
Old Oct 17th 2003, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Sols
Same here. I applied for AOS in person at the Denver office and all they asked for was the vaccination supplement given to me by the Doc at my K1 medical examination. All they wanted was a photocopy for their files.
They did'nt even want the photocopy's of mine as I sent them in the AOS application.
Old Oct 17th 2003, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karen D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud ofKaren D has much to be proud of

Originally posted by BritishInOhio
I did'nt need another medical for my AOS interview here in Columbus OH and it was over 18 months after I had the medical for my K-1 in London. The medical I read somewhere is good for 1 year but I had no problem with mine being 18 months old. Just take your vaccination papers and there should be no problem.
Good luck.
Thanks!

The only paperwork I have regarding vaccinations is a list of all my vaccines on headed paper from my doctor in England and a vaccination booklet. I guess I need to take these to one of the approved civil surgeons to get the info transferred to the I-693 supplement, right?

Does the I-693 supplement need to be done and sent with my AOS application or can it wait until the AOS interview? If the I-693 supplement is not needed for AOS application, do I just send copies of the vaccination records that I do have?

Thanks again
Old Oct 17th 2003, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Karen D
Thanks!

The only paperwork I have regarding vaccinations is a list of all my vaccines on headed paper from my doctor in England and a vaccination booklet. I guess I need to take these to one of the approved civil surgeons to get the info transferred to the I-693 supplement, right?

Does the I-693 supplement need to be done and sent with my AOS application or can it wait until the AOS interview? If the I-693 supplement is not needed for AOS application, do I just send copies of the vaccination records that I do have?

Thanks again
I just sent a photocopy of the sheet of paper given to me at the medical in the embassy in London for my K-1 visa.
Old Oct 17th 2003, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Sols is an unknown quantity at this point

yep, me too. I handed in my vaccination certificate from my own Doc in the UK and the guy said he didn't need it. In fact I took a bunch of stuff down there with me and brought most of it back lol.

I didn't have any problems at all, apart from the fact that the guy dealing with us was a complete moron and kept screwing up my application with spelling mistakes!

Goodluck to you
Old Oct 17th 2003, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura about

We brought my husband's vaccination record and had to go get it certified by a sanctioned physician in the middle of the interview. Once we came back with the sealed envelope, they stamped his passport. His medical was over a year old, and they hadn't even gotten it from POE by the time of the interview. I think the interviewing officer cut us some slack on that.
Old Oct 17th 2003, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Default Thanks everyone

Originally posted by Pallyn
We brought my husband's vaccination record and had to go get it certified by a sanctioned physician in the middle of the interview. Once we came back with the sealed envelope, they stamped his passport. His medical was over a year old, and they hadn't even gotten it from POE by the time of the interview. I think the interviewing officer cut us some slack on that.
I have located a local BCIS approved Civil Surgeon who will transfer my vaccine info for $15 and I'll just send a copy of the vaccinations from my doctor in England with my AOS application.

Thanks for your help
Old Oct 17th 2003, 9:15 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by BritishInOhio
I just sent a photocopy of the sheet of paper given to me at the medical in the embassy in London for my K-1 visa.
Weird, they only gave me my chest x-ray...no papers or anything else (and that was London too).
Old Oct 17th 2003, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Steffi
Weird, they only gave me my chest x-ray...no papers or anything else (and that was London too).
Me too and apparently, we certainly are not alone.

If only I had known to ask... !!