Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS Interview Questions

AOS Interview Questions

Old Jun 4th 2006, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

samir1010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AOS Interview Questions

We are just prepping for our AOS Interview next week and I was wondering if someone has some type of list of questions that are usually asked. Does anyone know where I could find a list? Thanks in advance.

Samir
Old Jun 4th 2006, 2:21 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS Interview Questions

There is no such list. The questions are random and are geared to the couple involved, the circumstances of your meeting and marriage, your financial situation, and the examiner's hair day and/or style of interviewing.

Be honest in answering; stick to the truth, it is easier to remember; answer only the question asked, don't elaborate; if you don't know the answer say you don't know; and be yourselves.

Originally Posted by samir1010
We are just prepping for our AOS Interview next week and I was wondering if someone has some type of list of questions that are usually asked. Does anyone know where I could find a list? Thanks in advance.

Samir
Old Jun 4th 2006, 2:37 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
... and be yourselves.
Absolutely right! Whatever you do, don't be someone else!

Ian
Old Jun 4th 2006, 4:42 am
Kat

Tell the truth ALWAYS.....I have heard of some people having some
personal ?'s asked where I went in for my interview they didnt ask
anything except why we didnt have a babysitter for our 2 young
daugters....ummm...NO FAMILY here...lol All my husbands family is in PA
an my family is back home in Australia but they do have the descretion
that if they feel to ask you anything....every officer is different
from the next....good luck
ian-mstm wrote:
    > > There is no such list. The questions are random and are geared to the
    > > couple involved, the circumstances of your meeting and marriage, your
    > > financial situation, and the examiner's hair day and/or style of
    > > interviewing.
    > >
    > > Be honest in answering; stick to the truth, it is easier to remember;
    > > answer only the question asked, don't elaborate; if you don't know the
    > > answer say you don't know; and be yourselves.
    > Absolutely right! Whatever you do, don't be someone else!
    >
    > Ian
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jun 4th 2006, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

samir1010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just want to thank everyone for the advice...
Old Jun 4th 2006, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

cjcherri is an unknown quantity at this point

We didn't prep for the interview as we received the interview noticed while we were on vacation. Everything went smoothly, the officer checked my petition and making sure all the info was correct and decided to use my chinese name (on my passport) even though all my other US ids/we also filed all the papers with English name. Anyway, after 15 minutes, the officer asked for a copy of I-94 and student I-20 (was here on student visa) that i didn't have (it was lost with orgional passport, didn't feel a need to replace it because i was then working for a company that was undergoing H1b)and he wanted to see my degree verification (didn't know where it is as well). I wrote to school that i have attended and asked for copies for immigration papers that i have a record with that school. They send me everything with a letter to INS telling them that i did earn my degree there and that i couldn't locate my diploma. We had 90 days to gather all these documents. We also had to prep for moving during that 90 days and seaching for house to buy (ended up renting because we always got outbid by other people who can pay more). We also wrote a letter to INS when we submit additional documents requested.

There wasn't so much questioning on Authenticity on our marriage, althought most of the bills comes into wife's name, but we were newly wed then and we had plan to move so it really didn't make sense to change everything and again when we move. We have much more stuff now that we couldn't believe. Boxes and boxes of papers(both personal and our company) and we might need to keep for a few years just for immigration. When this is all over, we are going to scan everything and put it on a disc for our record and destory the orgionals. Our place is just too small to keep all that.

Good luck on your interview and just be HONEST with the questions you know and questions you don't know. We were very nervous while there, but who wouldn't. The officer did ask which one of us prepared for the doucments that we brought in that day. and we told them, I did. Then, he turned to my wife and asked her to pull out a certain document in that pile. Luckly everthing was in order and wife had time going through it with me before we went on the interview ( am the bookkeeper for the family and i'd like to have everything in the order that is easy to understand and find, wife just doesn't have that skill). We are not sure why he asked wife to pull a paper out. Anyway, we are at I-751 stage now.
Old Jun 4th 2006, 6:17 pm

RussianGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

We weren't asked many questions at all...
Let's see:
*Where did you meet?
*When was it?
*Do you have any kids?
*Have you ever been arrested?
*Deported?
*Any immigration troubles?
*Have you ever used any welfare, food stamps or other government money?
*What did you study in college?

He also asked my USC husband about his job:
*What do you do?

That's about it... Good luck!
Old Jun 4th 2006, 6:34 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by samir1010

Samir
Hi:

Rete's advice is excellent. I give the same advice, albeit in a slightly different order. [BTW, I shamelessy have plagarized in settling on my "three rules" advice -- I took the "its easier to remember" from my old friend Ron Tasoff.] A corollary of "tell the truth" is that DON'T GUESS -- "I don't know" or "I don't remember" are just fine, if its the truth.

Also, if you don't understand a question, then say so! The officer will either repeat it or rephrase it.

I attended an interview last week where the AmCit husband could remember only the month and year of their marriage and could not, for the life of him, remmeber the DAY. The DAO made it into a joke "for the benefit of your marriage" to keep asking him about the day until he remembered it. In fact, AFTER granting the case, he asked with a smile "Now what is your anniversery date?"

BTW, this story is an example of another thing I advise my clients -- don't try to get into the head of the examiner and figure out where they are going. Just follow Rete's advice. In the case I just mentioned, we had a good natured DAO who liked to joke a little bit. In contrast, the lady in the adjoining cubicle is Hell On Wheels. But my clients would have been fine with her too.

About the only thing I can say that WILL be discussed is that the DAO will go down the I-485 to make sure the information is all true and correct. If information needs to be changed -- then, by all means, do so! The DAO will have a red pen to make the corrections. The system knows that mistakes are made on the forms and the interview is the time to correct them!

You WILL be nervous in the interview. There is no way I can say "relax, it will be no problem." However, it is perfectly normal to be nervous -- the interview is important.

One last point, it is not at all uncommon for an interview to be concluded with no decision having been made. Although this is a pain in the rear, it is nothing to get upset about. Most cases are ultimately approved.

Good luck.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

claudia13839 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Rete's advice is excellent. I give the same advice, albeit in a slightly different order. [BTW, I shamelessy have plagarized in settling on my "three rules" advice -- I took the "its easier to remember" from my old friend Ron Tasoff.] A corollary of "tell the truth" is that DON'T GUESS -- "I don't know" or "I don't remember" are just fine, if its the truth.

Also, if you don't understand a question, then say so! The officer will either repeat it or rephrase it.

I attended an interview last week where the AmCit husband could remember only the month and year of their marriage and could not, for the life of him, remmeber the DAY. The DAO made it into a joke "for the benefit of your marriage" to keep asking him about the day until he remembered it. In fact, AFTER granting the case, he asked with a smile "Now what is your anniversery date?"

BTW, this story is an example of another thing I advise my clients -- don't try to get into the head of the examiner and figure out where they are going. Just follow Rete's advice. In the case I just mentioned, we had a good natured DAO who liked to joke a little bit. In contrast, the lady in the adjoining cubicle is Hell On Wheels. But my clients would have been fine with her too.

About the only thing I can say that WILL be discussed is that the DAO will go down the I-485 to make sure the information is all true and correct. If information needs to be changed -- then, by all means, do so! The DAO will have a red pen to make the corrections. The system knows that mistakes are made on the forms and the interview is the time to correct them!

You WILL be nervous in the interview. There is no way I can say "relax, it will be no problem." However, it is perfectly normal to be nervous -- the interview is important.

One last point, it is not at all uncommon for an interview to be concluded with no decision having been made. Although this is a pain in the rear, it is nothing to get upset about. Most cases are ultimately approved.

Good luck.

Hi,

We weren't asked much.
Where did we meet?
Who went to the wedding?
What does my husband do for a living?
She asked to keep a photo of us together.

That's it. To the point and simple. Be honest.

~Claudia
Old Jun 5th 2006, 3:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

We would have been there all day if he had waited until I remembered our Anniversary date.

I assume they give males some slack.

I have it down now, same date that my team won the FA Cup, no idea why the corrolation never occurred to me before.