Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AOS interview/a big thank you!

AOS interview/a big thank you!

Old Jan 9th 2016, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

cheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond repute
Default AOS interview/a big thank you!

I had my AOS interview yesterday and was approved.Would like to say a big thank you to the people here that helped me with all the in's and out's of the K1 visa confusion.Reene and Iain in particular, you both deserve a mention.Thanks guys!
Anyhow.....Arrived at the USCIS building yesterday at 7:15 am for our 7:30am appointment. My wife and I had raided the hotels breakfast buffet prior to heading out and whilst going through the airport style security, they founda butter knife in my wifes handbag that she had borrowed from the hotel, to butter some toast. Fortunately there was little drama and we were allowed inside once we had returned the lethal object to our car.

Once through security, our I.D.'s and appointment letter were checked before we went to a room and had a brief wait for our interview.

Soon the man conducting our interview called my name and we were led to a small room where we swore an oath and the interview began.

The man was very friendly and I felt at ease with him. the whole episode was a far cry from the hilarious FBI style interrogation videos I had seen on youtube from immigration lawyers. He asked for our passports, my birth certificate, marriage certificate, the wife's naturalisation certificate and divorce papers. He checked over my wife's income and asked what I did for a living back home.

Then he checked over my medical papers and the only issue we faced came up. Apparently the medical form has been updated since my application was submitted and that could be a problem. I haven't seen the new form but I wonder if the update was just a change of the year date?

'you may have to retake your medical' I was informed, however the interviewer said he would check if it could be waived and agreed with me that it was rather silly to have to retake a medical over it.

Next he asked me all the 'have you ever been an isis, drug dealing prostitute, that steals sweets from a baby, all round bad guy' type questions.
I had to answer 'yes' to being arrested after I was stitched up by the police a couple months ago at a concert.I handed over my court paper saying the charges hadn't been filed and explained what happened. The man then checked his computer for any records and found nothing in the system.
After that the interview was concluded with the man emphasising on his point about having to retake a medical but otherwise there didn't seem to be anything amiss and we would be notified within 120 days in the post if our interview was successful.

Couple hours later I received a text message from uscis that my case had been updated. I check the website and am happy to see that 'my card is being produced'. I assume by card they mean green card, unless uscis are being thoughtful with my birthday coming up.

Also I got all suited and booted for the interview. Not sure how much it mattered but the guy did say 'Thanks' for making the effort'.

So, all that stuff is over with for a bit now. I've applied to a number of jobs and hopefully something pops up and I can get on with my life. Hope this helps with others going through this.

Last edited by cheradenine; Jan 9th 2016 at 8:07 pm. Reason: format is being weird
Old Jan 9th 2016, 8:26 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AOS interview/a big thank you!

Great news! You're welcome.

Rene
Old Jan 9th 2016, 9:43 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheradenine
I had my AOS interview yesterday and was approved.
Outstanding!

Ian
Old Jan 11th 2016, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, good luck for the future and thanks for sharing experience. It's good for future AOSers (myself included) to read and hear some experiences.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and I had raided the hotels breakfast buffet prior to heading out and whilst going through the airport style security, they founda butter knife in my wifes handbag that she had borrowed from the hotel, to butter some toast.

Don't you just love women and their handbags

I would have had a heart failure!!

Congrats BTW
Old Jan 11th 2016, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Also I got all suited and booted for the interview. Not sure how much it mattered but the guy did say 'Thanks' for making the effort'.
I'm always surprised how many people don't take these occasions seriously enough to smarten up at least a little bit.

I believe there is a story oft repeated on here of a goth couple who were almost refused entry to their oath ceremony by the judge for inappropriate clothes.