Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AoS Interview @ Louisville INS (long)

AoS Interview @ Louisville INS (long)

Old Feb 22nd 2001, 8:13 pm
Ian Levstein

Hi folks,

As you may know, Sheila and I went for my AoS interview at the Louisville INS office on
Tuesday. Here's the story...

We drove to Louisville the night before because we didn't want to have any problems with
traffic prior to our interview at 10:30 the next morning. We enjoyed a leisurely breakfast
in the hotel (only 4 blocks from the INS office), and we walked to the INS office and
arrived about 45 minutes prior to the interview time.

Let me say first say this about the Louisville INS office - it is now a real treat to go
there! They've moved from the 6th floor to the 3rd floor; it's larger; lots of room for
chairs; it's air conditioned - and they now have separate areas depending on your
business: fingerprints and green card renewals over here, EAD renewals over there,
citizenship and permanent residence applications over here, and general inquiries over
there! Very orderly and much improved!

I put my appointment letter in the appropriate box and a few minutes later my name was
called. I was asked to sign a form and give a print of my index finger. I assume this was
for the actual green card, although the woman behind the windows didn't actually say
anything specific about it! Still, I've been hanging around INS for so long now, I didn't
have much doubt as to its purpose. We then sat down and at 10:35 a.m. - only five minutes
after our scheduled appointment - Sheila and I were called into to the INS "inner
sanctum"! The officer asked Sheila to wait in one room while she interviewed me, and then
she'd interview Sheila while I waited.

She introduced herself and asked me for picture ID. I took out my driver's license and,
while standing, she asked me to swear that the information which I'd provide was the
truth! I told her it would be. She first asked for the updated I-864, which I gave her.
Then, she asked for evidence of our marriage and commingling of finances. I gave her a
copy of our marriage certificate, copies of the house deed, the car title, and a loan
which we took to pay off some of the bills I left in Canada when I moved. She seemed
pleased so far. She then asked for proof of our life together, and I provided her with
copies of our wills, life insurance policies, and the like. Finally, she asked for copies
of our tax returns, which I gave her. She asked, "Are there any other documents you'd like
to show me in support of your application?" I said there was, and gave her copies of our
employment letters, affidavits from some of our friends, and the stack of photos we
brought. She asked me for my original Advance Parole documents and she kept those. She
then commented on how nice it was that we were so organized, and that she now had all the
information she required.

She said I would need new fingerprints taken since the ones I had done when I applied were
more than 15 months old, and until I had new prints taken, she would not be able to say
definitely that my I-485 application was approved. She did say that I will receive a
letter from INS within two weeks to let me know the status of my application, but
generally everything seemed satisfactory. I was able to read between the lines enough to
understand that, but for the fingerprints, she'd like to say the application was approved
but can't! I wasn't too worried.

I asked her about a stamp in my passport and she indicated that unless I had current plans
to leave the country I wouldn't need it - and that the green card should come within 3 to
6 months. I asked about whether I would need to renew my work authorization and she
indicated that if the green card had not yet arrived, I could bring my approval letter
(which I'd get in the mail within two weeks) and my passport, and I could get a stamp at
that time to indicate that I was still eligible to work. She gave me a form to complete to
get new fingerprints, and, after that, she stood and the interview was over. She showed me
to the room where Sheila was, and we switched spots.

Sheila's interview was much shorter than mine, and basically the officer wanted to be sure
that she married married me of her own free will and without an eye to circumventing any
immigration laws.

When Sheila returned, we took the fingerprint form across the room and a few minutes later
we were done! Oh, for those who have been to the Louisville INS office, they have a new
digital fingerprint machine - very cool, very efficient!

To be honest, I didn't feel any sense of closure with this interview. I had hoped that I
would find out one way or the other about my application, and that I'd get a stamp in my
passport - but, it wasn't to be!

Anyway, there y'go! I'll let you know what happens if/when the letter comes! <sigh> I've
now updated our K-1 web page for those who want the complete story:
http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/9290/k-1.htm

Ian

Old Feb 22nd 2001, 8:41 pm
Rita

Ian

Thanks for the concise and informative update. Sorry you didn't get the approval and stamp
that day but from the sounds of it you will.

Surprised that she took your A/P through because if it takes any length of time to get the
approval letter and/or stamp you will most definitely need the A/P. Jim hadn't gotten the
stamp either at our interview but they let him keep the A/P but took the I-94 from
it.

BTW did she confirm that if approved your would be a PR and not a conditional one?
Also I would ask that in addition to updating your website that you also update the
AOS Experiences of the official NG site found under the Mysterious Brown Envelope on
the FAQ page.

Rita

----------
This message was composed at http://www.editnews.com

Old Feb 22nd 2001, 9:45 pm
Ian Levstein

Rita wrote:
>
> Surprised that she took your A/P through because if it takes any length of time to get
> the approval letter and/or stamp you will most definitely need the A/P.

True, and I thought about that for a moment at the time, but I guess I don't really have a
pressing need to be out of the US at this time.

> BTW did she confirm that if approved your would be a PR and not a conditional one?

She didn't mention anything about it, and until you mentioned it just now, I'd completely
forgotten to ask! Oy! Mea culpa!

> Also I would ask that in addition to updating your website that you also update the AOS
> Experiences of the official NG site.

I can do that!

Ian

Old Feb 22nd 2001, 10:21 pm
Alvena Ferreira

Nice to hear that you didn't get the cranky old buzzard for your interview that we
got...and glad it all went so well. It evidently is the norm at Louisville to interview
the two spouses separately, they did ours that way also. alvena

Ian Levstein wrote:
>
> Hi folks,
>
> As you may know, Sheila and I went for my AoS interview at the Louisville INS office on
> Tuesday. Here's the story...
>
> We drove to Louisville the night before because we didn't want to have any problems with
> traffic prior to our interview at 10:30 the next morning. We enjoyed a leisurely
> breakfast in the hotel (only 4 blocks from the INS office), and we walked to the INS
> office and arrived about 45 minutes prior to the interview time.
>
> Let me say first say this about the Louisville INS office - it is now a real treat to go
> there! They've moved from the 6th floor to the 3rd floor; it's larger; lots of room for
> chairs; it's air conditioned - and they now have separate areas depending on your
> business: fingerprints and green card renewals over here, EAD renewals over there,
> citizenship and permanent residence applications over here, and general inquiries over
> there! Very orderly and much improved!
>
> I put my appointment letter in the appropriate box and a few minutes later my name was
> called. I was asked to sign a form and give a print of my index finger. I assume this
> was for the actual green card, although the woman behind the windows didn't actually say
> anything specific about it! Still, I've been hanging around INS for so long now, I
> didn't have much doubt as to its purpose. We then sat down and at 10:35 a.m. - only five
> minutes after our scheduled appointment - Sheila and I were called into to the INS
> "inner sanctum"! The officer asked Sheila to wait in one room while she interviewed me,
> and then she'd interview Sheila while I waited.
>
> She introduced herself and asked me for picture ID. I took out my driver's license and,
> while standing, she asked me to swear that the information which I'd provide was the
> truth! I told her it would be. She first asked for the updated I-864, which I gave her.
> Then, she asked for evidence of our marriage and commingling of finances. I gave her a
> copy of our marriage certificate, copies of the house deed, the car title, and a loan
> which we took to pay off some of the bills I left in Canada when I moved. She seemed
> pleased so far. She then asked for proof of our life together, and I provided her with
> copies of our wills, life insurance policies, and the like. Finally, she asked for
> copies of our tax returns, which I gave her. She asked, "Are there any other documents
> you'd like to show me in support of your application?" I said there was, and gave her
> copies of our employment letters, affidavits from some of our friends, and the stack of
> photos we brought. She asked me for my original Advance Parole documents and she kept
> those. She then commented on how nice it was that we were so organized, and that she now
> had all the information she required.
>
> She said I would need new fingerprints taken since the ones I had done when I applied
> were more than 15 months old, and until I had new prints taken, she would not be able to
> say definitely that my I-485 application was approved. She did say that I will receive a
> letter from INS within two weeks to let me know the status of my application, but
> generally everything seemed satisfactory. I was able to read between the lines enough to
> understand that, but for the fingerprints, she'd like to say the application was
> approved but can't! I wasn't too worried.
>
> I asked her about a stamp in my passport and she indicated that unless I had current
> plans to leave the country I wouldn't need it - and that the green card should come
> within 3 to 6 months. I asked about whether I would need to renew my work authorization
> and she indicated that if the green card had not yet arrived, I could bring my approval
> letter (which I'd get in the mail within two weeks) and my passport, and I could get a
> stamp at that time to indicate that I was still eligible to work. She gave me a form to
> complete to get new fingerprints, and, after that, she stood and the interview was over.
> She showed me to the room where Sheila was, and we switched spots.
>
> Sheila's interview was much shorter than mine, and basically the officer wanted to be
> sure that she married married me of her own free will and without an eye to
> circumventing any immigration laws.
>
> When Sheila returned, we took the fingerprint form across the room and a few minutes
> later we were done! Oh, for those who have been to the Louisville INS office, they have
> a new digital fingerprint machine - very cool, very efficient!
>
> To be honest, I didn't feel any sense of closure with this interview. I had hoped that I
> would find out one way or the other about my application, and that I'd get a stamp in my
> passport - but, it wasn't to be!
>
> Anyway, there y'go! I'll let you know what happens if/when the letter comes! <sigh> I've
> now updated our K-1 web page for those who want the complete story:
> http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/9290/k-1.htm
>
> Ian

Old Feb 22nd 2001, 10:27 pm
Onigiri

> Hi folks,
Thanks for the details. <<snip>>
> I asked her about a stamp in my passport and she indicated that unless I had current
> plans to leave the country I wouldn't need it -

Took away the AP ( you paid $100 bucks for it ) and then screwed you with this as well.
What if there is an emergency with your family/friends abroad before you get the card in
the mail. INS finds a way to leave a bad taste in your system whenever you come in contact
with them - don't they ?

> To be honest, I didn't feel any sense of closure with this interview. I had hoped that I
> would find out one way or the other about my application, and that I'd get a stamp in my
> passport - but, it wasn't to be!

No matter how nice you had the papers and information to make their job easy, they had a
last chance to mount you, and they did !! That is what happened.

> Anyway, there y'go! I'll let you know what happens if/when the letter comes! <sigh>
I really feel very sorry for you - and all the aliens.

Old Feb 24th 2001, 7:43 am
Evan and Sheila

Must have been Janet(?).. I think that was her name. Every time we've gone there she's
been really nice and helpful.

> Nice to hear that you didn't get the cranky old buzzard for your interview that we
> got...and glad it all went so well. It evidently is the norm at Louisville to interview
> the two spouses separately, they did ours that way also. alvena
>
> Ian Levstein wrote:
> >
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > As you may know, Sheila and I went for my AoS interview at the Louisville INS office
> > on Tuesday. Here's the story...
> >
> > We drove to Louisville the night before because we didn't want to have any problems
> > with traffic prior to our interview at 10:30 the next morning. We enjoyed a leisurely
> > breakfast in the hotel (only 4 blocks from the INS office), and we walked to the INS
> > office and arrived about 45 minutes prior to the interview time.
> >
> > Let me say first say this about the Louisville INS office - it is now a real treat to
> > go there! They've moved from the 6th floor to the 3rd floor; it's larger; lots of room
> > for chairs; it's air conditioned - and they now have separate areas depending on your
> > business: fingerprints and green card renewals over here, EAD renewals over there,
> > citizenship and permanent residence applications over here, and general inquiries over
> > there! Very orderly and much improved!
> >
> > I put my appointment letter in the appropriate box and a few minutes later my name was
> > called. I was asked to sign a form and give a print of my index finger. I assume this
> > was for the actual green card, although the woman behind the windows didn't actually
> > say anything specific about it! Still, I've been hanging around INS for so long now, I
> > didn't have much doubt as to its purpose. We then sat down and at 10:35 a.m. - only
> > five minutes after our scheduled appointment - Sheila and I were called

> > into to the INS "inner sanctum"! The officer asked Sheila to wait in one room while
> > she interviewed me, and then she'd interview Sheila while I waited.
> >
> > She introduced herself and asked me for picture ID. I took out my driver's license
> > and, while standing, she asked me to swear that the information which I'd provide was
> > the truth! I told her it would be. She first asked for the updated I-864, which I gave
> > her. Then, she asked for evidence of our marriage and commingling of finances. I gave
> > her a copy of our marriage certificate, copies of the house deed, the car title, and a
> > loan which we took to pay off some of the bills I left in Canada when I moved. She
> > seemed pleased so far. She then asked for proof of our life together, and I provided
> > her with copies of our wills, life insurance policies, and the like. Finally, she
> > asked for copies of our tax returns, which I gave her. She asked, "Are there any other
> > documents you'd like to show me in support of your application?" I said there was, and
> > gave her copies of our employment letters, affidavits from some of our friends, and
> > the stack of photos we brought. She asked me for my original Advance Parole documents
> > and she kept those. She then commented on how nice it was that we were so organized,
> > and that she now had all the information she required.
> >
> > She said I would need new fingerprints taken since the ones I had done when I applied
> > were more than 15 months old, and until I had new prints taken, she would not be able
> > to say definitely that my I-485 application was approved. She did say that I will
> > receive a letter from INS within two weeks to let me know the status of my
> > application, but generally everything seemed satisfactory. I was able to read between
> > the lines enough to understand that, but for the fingerprints, she'd like to say the
> > application was approved but can't! I wasn't too worried.
> >
> > I asked her about a stamp in my passport and she indicated that unless I had current
> > plans to leave the country I wouldn't need it - and that the green card should come
> > within 3 to 6 months. I asked about whether I would need to renew my work
> > authorization and she indicated that if the green card had not yet arrived, I could
> > bring my approval letter (which I'd get in the mail within two weeks) and my passport,
> > and I could get a stamp at that time to indicate that I was still eligible to work.
> > She gave me a form to complete to get new fingerprints, and, after that, she stood and
> > the interview was over. She showed me to the room where Sheila was, and we switched
> > spots.
> >
> > Sheila's interview was much shorter than mine, and basically the officer wanted to be
> > sure that she married married me of her own free will and without an eye to
> > circumventing any immigration laws.
> >
> > When Sheila returned, we took the fingerprint form across the room and a few minutes
> > later we were done! Oh, for those who have been to the Louisville INS office, they
> > have a new digital fingerprint machine - very cool, very efficient!
> >
> > To be honest, I didn't feel any sense of closure with this interview. I had hoped that
> > I would find out one way or the other about my application, and that I'd get a stamp
> > in my passport - but, it wasn't to be!
> >
> > Anyway, there y'go! I'll let you know what happens if/when the letter comes! <sigh>
> > I've now updated our K-1 web page for those who want the complete story:
> > http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/9290/k-1.htm
> >
> > Ian

Old Feb 24th 2001, 2:58 pm
Ian Levstein

Could have been... she said her name was Officer Teal. She was 40ish, and had short,
curly, salt and pepper hair.

For those who are following this thread, I'll add here that she did *not* look at any of
the photos we brought with us. Officer Teal told Sheila that, "with today's software,
those photos could have been anybody"! Despite that however, I still think it's important
to bring photos to the AoS interview. I'm sure if we didn't have any, she would have
wanted to see them!

Ian

Evan and Sheila wrote:
>
> Must have been Janet(?).. I think that was her name. Every time we've gone there she's
> been really nice and helpful.

Old Feb 26th 2001, 3:09 am
Evan and Sheila

Hmm.. nope, the one I'm thinking of has short dark hair that is somewhat straight... cut
very short in the back from what I remember.. wears glasses. She almost looks really mean,
but is really helpful or at least has been for us so far.

But anyhoo, Congratulations!

Cheers, Evan

> Could have been... she said her name was Officer Teal. She was 40ish, and had short,
> curly, salt and pepper hair.
>
> For those who are following this thread, I'll add here that she did *not* look at any of
> the photos we brought with us. Officer Teal told Sheila that, "with today's software,
> those photos could have been anybody"! Despite that however, I still think it's
> important to bring photos to the AoS interview. I'm sure if we didn't have any, she
> would have wanted to see them!
>
> Ian
>
> Evan and Sheila wrote:
> >
> > Must have been Janet(?).. I think that was her name. Every time we've gone there she's
> > been really nice and helpful.