Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Any solid hope, now there's no 90-day-EAD?

Any solid hope, now there's no 90-day-EAD?

Old Apr 27th 2017, 3:30 am
Just Joined

lemonss is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any solid hope, now there's no 90-day-EAD?

So, crushingly, I just learned that the 90 day EAD rule is no longer in effect, as of January this year. Right as I'm next to my 90th day. I submitted a service request on day 75, although wasn't too fussed, because day 90 was right around the corner. Did some googling, then... sad face.

I was so excited to be able to book tickets to go see my family, and go on a honeymoon with my SO, and so excited to quit my job and try some new things. And now....

So, with zero requirement for an interim EAD to be given to me, do I basically have nothing to depend on, in terms of timing? Realistically, am I going to have to wait like 10 months or a year until I (hopefully) get my green card?
Old Apr 27th 2017, 3:41 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any solid hope, now there's no 90-day-EAD?

A little history for others...you are currently in the USA, married to a USC, and doing an AOS.

Originally Posted by lemonss
So, crushingly, I just learned that the 90 day EAD rule is no longer in effect, as of January this year.
What 90 day EAD rule is this? Do you have a link?

Right as I'm next to my 90th day.
90th day after submitting the AOS package which included the I-765 application for EAD?

I submitted a service request on day 75, although wasn't too fussed, because day 90 was right around the corner. Did some googling, then... sad face.
Can you share the link you found that gave you a sad face?

I was so excited to be able to book tickets to go see my family, and go on a honeymoon with my SO, and so excited to quit my job and try some new things. And now....
Now I'm confused. Quit your job? Are you here on a work visa? I know you're disappointed not to have your AP in hand yet, but you will in time, and then you can go see your family and go on your honeymoon. As for working, it sounds like you already are, so you're earning income, which is a good thing. Your EAD will arrive at some point and then you can quit this job and find another.

So, with zero requirement for an interim EAD to be given to me, do I basically have nothing to depend on, in terms of timing?
I don't understand your question. Timing of what? Why is the EAD so important? It sounds like you're already here on a work visa and are pretty stable, no?

Realistically, am I going to have to wait like 10 months or a year until I (hopefully) get my green card?
A typical AOS case can take about 6 to 8 months or so, maybe longer, so yes, you might have to wait 10 or 12 months (worst case scenario) to get your green card. But the EAD should come much sooner, within 90 days of filing the application. It sounds like you're not past the 90 days yet, so hang in there.

Rene
Old Apr 27th 2017, 11:13 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand why you need an EAD (employment authorization document) if you have a job already? You mentioned quitting your job. EADs allow people to work whilst the AOS is still pending. They don't allow you to travel outside the country - for that you need AP - Advance Parole. Did you apply for that also? It's a separate form to fill out and submit. It's usually done at the time of filing AOS but can be done later. The sooner you apply, the sooner you can travel.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 11:17 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

And there has been no change in the time scale for EADs (although I suspect an EAD is not what the OP is talking about):

https://my.uscis.gov/helpcenter/article/how-long-does-uscis-have-to-make-a-decision-on-my-form-i-765-application-for-employment-authorization
Old Apr 27th 2017, 11:56 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
What 90 day EAD rule is this? Do you have a link?
I think he's talking about this.

Ian
Old Apr 27th 2017, 11:58 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lemonss
So, with zero requirement for an interim EAD to be given to me, do I basically have nothing to depend on, in terms of timing?
You really need to work on your communication skills. I'm sure you've had an entire conversation with yourself in your head, but we can only go on what you write... and you're not really writing what you're thinking.

Ian
Old Apr 27th 2017, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW you're also looking at another 2 weeks (ish) from approval to actually getting the card in the mail.