american marrying brit

Old Mar 26th 2007, 9:21 am
-Cheekymonkey83

Default american marrying brit

Hello Everyone!
I'm new to this site and hoping you can help me. I'm an Americann currently
in the UK as a visitor with my Brit boyfriend. After doing some research,
we've decided to get married in NY (where I'm from) and then return to the UK
to live for a few years. That seems to be the only way for me to work here.
Our plan was to live and work in the UK for 2-3 years and then buy a home
together in the US. My questions are as follows: 1) Is there a specific
amount of time we would have to be married for him to buy a home with me in
the US?
2) Is it true he would not be allowed to work for one year and I would have
to prove I can financially support him once in the US?
3) Does his credit rating count in the US?
** I have received different kinds of info from various forums, websites, ect
and just trying to obtain as much info as possible. I have been unable to
reach American or British Embassies/Consulates on the phone, aside from a
recording. Any advice is most appreciated. Many Thanks

Old Mar 26th 2007, 11:19 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: american marrying brit

1) Is there a specific amount of time we would have to be married for him to buy a home with me in the US?

If you are planning on purchasing the home jointly, then I would say the answer is probably yes -- not because it has anything to do with how long you're married, but because the answer to Question #3 is "no" and he'll need time to build up his own credit individually in the US first.

2) Is it true he would not be allowed to work for one year...

Unlikely that he won't have work authorization for a full year, but it's always possible. Or, he could get work authorization but have a hard time finding a job. Either way, plan on it being several months.

...and I would have to prove I can financially support him once in the US?

Yes.

No. Nor would your US credit rating count in the UK. Different countries, different systems.

~ Jenney
Old Mar 26th 2007, 4:25 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing to stop you buying a house in the US while living in the UK ...
thousands of Brits get mortgages and buy house while living in the UK ..
Florida is full of them ..
Old Mar 26th 2007, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

hcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond repute

1) Is there a specific amount of time we would have to be married for him to buy a home with me in the US?
No. Foreigners are allowed to own property in the US, period. But you may find yourselves qualifying for a mortgage based on your credit alone.

2) Is it true he would not be allowed to work for one year and I would have to prove I can financially support him once in the US?
He can work as soon as he gets authorization from DHS/USCIS to work. That means having a green card or an EAD. Since you will be married already, if I were you guys I would plan ahead and not move to the US until you've got his immigrant visa. That means filing I-130 about a year before you want to move back, or if you qualify for DCF, perhaps just a few months before you want to move back. Then wait till he gets his immigrant visa, settle your affairs in the UK and move. He will need to use his immigrant visa within 6 months of getting it. When he enters the US with it he will get stamped in as an LPR, with the right to live and work in the US. So he should be able to work from day 1.

You do have to prove you can support him in the petitioning process. Download form I-864 from www.uscis.gov and read it, the instruction section will give you a better idea of what you will need. Importantly, you will need a US income source or you will need to use assets. So you need assets (UK or US) or you need to move back to the US first and get a job or you need a joint sponsor (most people use their parents or a sibling).

No.