Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

American born "British" baby

American born "British" baby

Old Oct 19th 2010, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American born "British" baby

So sorry about all this stress Samba. Your daughter and soon to be grandchild are well loved already, keep your chin up!

Let us know how the legal consultation goes.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by meauxna
Do you know that for a stone-cold fact? Something tells me that may not be enough protection.

Samba, please, please, pleeeease get a real family law consultation or even two.

About the boy 'stepping up'... have any of you tried telling him; 'Supply X$ weekly toward the baby fund.' or something else specific? You may be asking him to imagine what stepping up looks like to you, without giving him sufficient direction.
I know that to be true as of four years ago.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 4:25 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Point of clarification, for Washington state, at least. To be included on the birth certificate, it is an Affidavit of Parenthood, that an unmarried father signs.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Do you know that for a stone-cold fact? Something tells me that may not be enough protection.

Samba, please, please, pleeeease get a real family law consultation or even two.

About the boy 'stepping up'... have any of you tried telling him; 'Supply X$ weekly toward the baby fund.' or something else specific? You may be asking him to imagine what stepping up looks like to you, without giving him sufficient direction.
You make a really good point - and I had thought a lot about that. When we all had a conversation a few weeks back my Husband asked him what he earns and his outgoings and what he felt he could contribute - no matter how small. He talks in rhyme - I can't explain it in any other way. He skirts around it.

We advised our daughter to ask him for a specific dollar amount to be paid into her account - that hasn't as yet materialized. I do feel there is a sense of being overwhelmed on his behalf but I can not get past the fact that not once has he come to myself or my Husband and said look this is the situation, this is what I can afford at the moment. He seems unable to support himself, says he doesn't come over to our Daughter because he can't afford the gas and yet tells everyone they are getting an apartment in Newport Beach. Another reason he can't come over to see her as much is because he is working so hard and such long hours.. well which is it?

We literally told him months ago that we would open our home to him. Help them both on a path to financial independance. My Husband offered him advice about everything from starting a company to dealing with unions to budgeting - whatever they needed we would help them and support them. My Daughter has got up every single morning and gone to her course, worked very hard right up until last friday when she finished - she hasn't had a penny to call her own throughout the pregnancy, unable to go and buy her child a single item - she has sacrificed for the long term benefits. He hasn't - he hasn't had to change a single thing about his life.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sambapink
You make a really good point - and I had thought a lot about that. When we all had a conversation a few weeks back my Husband asked him what he earns and his outgoings and what he felt he could contribute - no matter how small. He talks in rhyme - I can't explain it in any other way. He skirts around it.

We advised our daughter to ask him for a specific dollar amount to be paid into her account - that hasn't as yet materialized. I do feel there is a sense of being overwhelmed on his behalf but I can not get past the fact that not once has he come to myself or my Husband and said look this is the situation, this is what I can afford at the moment. He seems unable to support himself, says he doesn't come over to our Daughter because he can't afford the gas and yet tells everyone they are getting an apartment in Newport Beach. Another reason he can't come over to see her as much is because he is working so hard and such long hours.. well which is it?

We literally told him months ago that we would open our home to him. Help them both on a path to financial independance. My Husband offered him advice about everything from starting a company to dealing with unions to budgeting - whatever they needed we would help them and support them. My Daughter has got up every single morning and gone to her course, worked very hard right up until last friday when she finished - she hasn't had a penny to call her own throughout the pregnancy, unable to go and buy her child a single item - she has sacrificed for the long term benefits. He hasn't - he hasn't had to change a single thing about his life.
You've given him every opportunity to man up an be responsible, he's 24 not 14. Maybe once the baby is here that will motivate him in the right way to be responsible, but I suspect your instincts are right about him sadly.

Where are his parents in all this?
Old Oct 19th 2010, 4:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Samba I'm sorry to say this but IMO you, your husband and your daughter should make plans for the future without this guy being in the picture. I think you know this deep down.

As a mum my heart goes out to you.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
You've given him every opportunity to man up an be responsible, he's 24 not 14. Maybe once the baby is here that will motivate him in the right way to be responsible, but I suspect your instincts are right about him sadly.

Where are his parents in all this?
I can't get started on his family. Well we've never met them. Mum left him and his 2 brothers when they were young teenagers I think. He has had a tough upbringing by what he says. One of the first things he told me was that he has never really had a family - I told him that he had a family in us as long as he did right by our Daughter.. His Brother has 3 Daughters - all of whom have been adopted.

I know this will sound harsh but we've all got our sob stories - but at some point you have to pull up your sleeves and crack on.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 4:57 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Samba, I have to join the queue and add my 2 cents. The young man is exhibiting all the classic symptoms of being bi-polar/manic-depressive. They are exactly the same signs that my first husband exhibited when we were first married. I can see no joy coming from this relationship for either your family, your daughter or your grandchild.

This young man has a medical and possibly an emotional problem that is going to cause problems with his attaining adult and becoming a contributing member of society, let alone a husband or father.

There is another grandparent(s) involved here and they should also have contacted you to see what role they can play in their future grandchild's life. If it were your son who inpregnanted a young girl, you would already be buying clothes, baby furniture, offering to assist in any way possible to make this time in their lives easier. I can't see that his family has done anything to ease the burden from yours or your daughter's shoulders.

Your daughter is about to become a mother. She needs to be firm in demanding respect from the baby's father, monetary and emotional support. If they are not forthcoming, then she needs to close the door to this relationship. It will be hurtful for her but her future decisions have to center around the child.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mallory
That's not quite true. If he doesn't pay child support, he still has the right to see the child. You cannot deprive the child from seeing their parent, even if he is a loser.

If he doesn't pay child support, then she can apply to be supported by the state, i.e. welfare check, WIC, subsidised housing, tuitition money for college, free books, Medicaid/MediCal, food stamps, free formula, etc. In order to get all of this help she would have to be unmarried, and he would have to undergo a paternity test (so that the state can know who to go after for repayment of CS - or jail). I believe the mother can still live at home and receive most of that help (not housing help of course). It has nothing to do with how much her parents make (it's not their child). It's all about what assets the mother has. Your daughter would have the choice of having the baby paid for by Medicaid/MediCal, or on your husband's insurance.

I have a friend whose daughter was in same position. Friend and her hubby have well paid jobs, and the girl lived at home. I can't remember all the details, and this is in a different state, but just relaying a little info that I heard her rant on about.

To leave California, he would have to agree to it, and sign his rights away.

Where would we even go to find out about these things - Social Security office?
Old Oct 19th 2010, 5:05 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Samba, I have to join the queue and add my 2 cents. The young man is exhibiting all the classic symptoms of being bi-polar/manic-depressive. They are exactly the same signs that my first husband exhibited when we were first married. I can see no joy coming from this relationship for either your family, your daughter or your grandchild.
That's quite a diagnosis, Rete. Couldn't he just be in denial, not very organized?
Old Oct 19th 2010, 5:11 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't get started on his family. Well we've never met them. Mum left him and his 2 brothers when they were young teenagers I think. He has had a tough upbringing by what he says. One of the first things he told me was that he has never really had a family - I told him that he had a family in us as long as he did right by our Daughter.. His Brother has 3 Daughters - all of whom have been adopted.

I know this will sound harsh but we've all got our sob stories - but at some point you have to pull up your sleeves and crack on.
I can't really offer any advise on what you can and cannot do, but I just wanted to say, this baby already has a fantastic start in its life just being surrounded by your family..

and tell the winging plonker to "suck it up and pay up"..
Old Oct 19th 2010, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

This young man has a medical and possibly an emotional problem that is going to cause problems with his attaining adult and becoming a contributing member of society, let alone a husband or father.

There is another grandparent(s) involved here and they should also have contacted you to see what role they can play in their future grandchild's life. If it were your son who inpregnanted a young girl, you would already be buying clothes, baby furniture, offering to assist in any way possible to make this time in their lives easier. I can't see that his family has done anything to ease the burden from yours or your daughter's shoulders.

Your daughter is about to become a mother. She needs to be firm in demanding respect from the baby's father, monetary and emotional support. If they are not forthcoming, then she needs to close the door to this relationship. It will be hurtful for her but her future decisions have to center around the child.

Thanks Rete. My Daughter did end her relationship with him last night and told him he now has to show that he can step up in every sense of the word or there would be no chance of reconcilling. Of course they would communicate about the baby. Seeing her doing something that was so against what was in her heart was devastating, but I am incredibly proud of her.

They had dinner with his Dad and step mom this past weekend and my Daughter explained our position. They very kindly said they understood where we were coming from. Thanks . This is the same Father that apperantely has caused my Daughters boyfriend nothing but stress in the past few months because he kept letting him down on work and wages etc.

On the point if it were my son - we would have kicked him up and down the street until he realised his responsibilties. My Husband said to the boyfriend, if you were my son I would give you a swift kick up the ar$e!
Old Oct 19th 2010, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Couldn't agree more, at some point you need to stop blaming others and just get on with it.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

On a slightly different front - I have just called our health insurance company and found out the baby will not even be covered for the first 30 days after being born. My Daughter is going down to find out about Medical now. I spoke briefly on the phone to someone who said that she had to be earning to qualify for this. They said even if we gave her a 'gift letter' stating that we paid her a certain amount per week/fortnight/month then they would consider that an income. I have no idea whether it's beneficial to say a big amount or small? We completely support her anyway, but I guess this is something different. If she doesn't qualify then I guess we just take out an individual plan. Lovely.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 5:40 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

That is easy for us to say on a public forum, however when you are 21 pregnant and you are in love that is probably the one thing that you won't be able to get her to do.

I also don't think that you can diagnose a mental illness from the information we have been given, maybe he is just young and stupid and isn't really facing reality - JMO!

Samba - I think what you and your husband are doing is wonderful, your daughter and future Grandchild are so lucky to have you as a family

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.