Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Am I missing anything for AOS?

Am I missing anything for AOS?

Old Nov 29th 2017, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Am I missing anything for AOS?

Evening all!

Apologies as I know this is covered a bunch, but I wanted to double check if I'm missing anything for my AOS from L1.

I/We have completed the following:

i-130
i-130A
i-765
G-325A
i-485
i-864

I will also be including:
- A copy of my birth certificate
- A copy of every page of my wife's passport
- A copy of our marriage certificate
- A copy of our lease, joint insurances, joint credit card statements
- Passport Photos
- Wifes two most recent tax returns
- Proof of my continued income in the US (as she would not meet the 2x poverty requirement)

And I have scheduled my medical. One question I also have on my medical is I'm missing only the hep-b vaccine. I note it is a requirement for USCIS, yet I read somewhere being over the age of 18 they are likely to just sign off that you don't require it during the medical, does anyone have any experience of this? Or ought I get the vaccine before the medical to save time (and $)

Edit: Answered my own medical question above with section D, here: https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/H...-Chapter9.html , I believe.

Thanks!

Last edited by TheKingOfHearts; Nov 29th 2017 at 10:46 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 10:42 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I missing anything for AOS?

You didn't list the I-131 for Advance Parole.

Why do you need every page of your wife's US Passport? Normally, it is only the cover page to prove she is a USC or her birth certificate.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
You didn't list the I-131 for Advance Parole.

Why do you need every page of your wife's US Passport? Normally, it is only the cover page to prove she is a USC or her birth certificate.
Unsure, I seem to recall that being mentioned somewhere, but I could be wrong.

Also I don't believe I need AP as my L1 will remain valid, negating the need for AP (based on previous threads)
Old Nov 29th 2017, 10:51 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

But what if you lose your job before the adjustment is adjudicated or you change employment? In either case, your petitions will be forfeited if you leave the US without AP. Since the fee for the I-131 is part of the filing fee for the AOS (I-485) it does you no harm in filing for advance parole.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheKingOfHearts
Also I don't believe I need AP as my L1 will remain valid, negating the need for AP (based on previous threads)
Quote from the i131 form instructions:

NOTE: Generally, if you are in the United States and have applied for adjustment of status to that of a lawful
permanent resident, your application will be deemed abandoned if you leave the United States without first obtaining
an Advance Parole Document. Your application for adjustment of status generally will not be deemed abandoned,
even if you do not apply for an Advance Parole Document before traveling abroad while an adjustment application is
pending, if you currently are in one of the following nonimmigrant classifications, and remain eligible for and would
be admissible in one of the following categories upon applying for admission at a port-of-entry:
a. An H-1 temporary worker, or H-4 spouse or child of an H-1;
b. An L-1 intracompany transferee, or L-2 spouse or child of an L-1;
c. A K-3 spouse, or K-4 child of a U.S. citizen; or
d. A V-1 spouse, or V-2/V-3 child of a lawful permanent resident.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

But what if you lose your job before the adjustment is adjudicated or you change employment? In either case, your petitions will be forfeited if you leave the US without AP. Since the fee for the I-131 is part of the filing fee for the AOS (I-485) it does you no harm in filing for advance parole.
Fair, I may aswell include it as an insurance, albeit unlikely I'd need it.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 10:55 pm
Concierge

Yes, but as I posted, if you are made redundant or get an offer for another job and take it (after all you are applying for an employment authorization document), then you won't have the protection of the L visa. The I-131 is already paid for, why not just complete the paperwork. It comes as part of your employment authorization document.

PS Never ever count on anything remaining status quo. You can go to work tomorrow and find you are being handed your pink slip. You are being offered protection and are paying for it whether you ever have to use it or not.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, but as I posted, if you are made redundant or get an offer for another job and take it (after all you are applying for an employment authorization document), then you won't have the protection of the L visa. The I-131 is already paid for, why not just complete the paperwork. It comes as part of your employment authorization document.

PS Never ever count on anything remaining status quo. You can go to work tomorrow and find you are being handed your pink slip. You are being offered protection and are paying for it whether you ever have to use it or not.
Agreed.

Question around part 2(1) and part 3(1,2).

For 2(1), I'm applying for 1(d), correct?

For 3(1,2) I don't have any intended dates (well, I do actually for the UK at christmas, but unsure if I'll even get this stuff in by then)
Old Nov 29th 2017, 11:11 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need a G-325A. The I-130A replaced it.

Rene
Old Nov 30th 2017, 2:57 am
Concierge

No date needed - put "to be determined'