Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Affidavit of support question for interview in London.

Affidavit of support question for interview in London.

Old Jan 5th 2018, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

JuniorJ194 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Affidavit of support question for interview in London.

Hello!

I need a solid answer to this question, as I’ve had a few answers and neither of them made a lot of sense.

My fiancée is in Med School and works part time, so she doesn’t hit the poverty line to be able to suppose me when I move.

Her dad however has said that he would fill out a form as his wages are way over the poverty line even with his dependents.

If her dad fills out an Affidavit of Support form, does my fiancée also have to fill one out too? We are at the stage where these need to be done. I don’t know whether they should both do one, just in case.

Also, do you think 3 years tax’s and a copy of 6 months wage packets be okay?

Thanks!

Joshua.
Old Jan 5th 2018, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Affidavit of support question for interview in London.

Yes both need to fill one out.

Exactly the same as me, I took 3 years of tax returns and 6 months of pay stubs which the interviewing officer was happy with.

Good luck
Old Jan 5th 2018, 3:03 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

For the Immediate Relative Visa obtained in London which would be an I-864, then yes, both she and her father need to complete one. Is she living at home or away from home?
Old Jan 5th 2018, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
For the Immediate Relative Visa obtained in London which would be an I-864, then yes, both she and her father need to complete one. Is she living at home or away from home?
She lives away from home in a house on her college campus. She put her primary address as her home address though.
Old Jan 5th 2018, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

You're interviewing for K-1, right?

If so there is no such thing as a joint sponsor. Your fiancée's dad will fill out an I-134, but your fiancée won't need to. We were in a similar boat, though my fiancée was in nursing school.

Take tax transcripts not returns. It's easier.
Old Jan 5th 2018, 3:32 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
You're interviewing for K-1, right?

If so there is no such thing as a joint sponsor. Your fiancée's dad will fill out an I-134, but your fiancée won't need to. We were in a similar boat, though my fiancée was in nursing school.

Take tax transcripts not returns. It's easier.

Old Jan 5th 2018, 4:34 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Junior,

Since you have a fiancee, I assume you are doing a K-1 visa? If so, then only one I-134 is required, from someone who qualifies financially... in this case, her dad. He should also include proof of his US citizenship, either a photocopy of his birth certificate or US passport.

When the time comes for you to do AOS in the USA, a different Affidavit of Support is required, an I-864. If, by that time, your wife still doesn't meet the financial requirements, she can use her dad as a joint sponsor...in which case they each need to complete an I-864.

Rene
Old Jan 5th 2018, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Junior,

Since you have a fiancee, I assume you are doing a K-1 visa? If so, then only one I-134 is required, from someone who qualifies financially... in this case, her dad. He should also include proof of his US citizenship, either a photocopy of his birth certificate or US passport.

When the time comes for you to do AOS in the USA, a different Affidavit of Support is required, an I-864. If, by that time, your wife still doesn't meet the financial requirements, she can use her dad as a joint sponsor...in which case they each need to complete an I-864.

Rene
Thanks a lot! That makes sense. I think I was just getting mixed up with the two. But that’s helped a lot!