Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Affidavit of Support Question

Affidavit of Support Question

Old Nov 6th 2017, 8:19 am
Just Joined

ItsHappening is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Affidavit of Support Question

Hello, I have a question about the required affidavit of support I need.

- We are doing London DCF.
- My husband is USC who filed I-130 as my petitioner
- We will move in with his sister (also USC)
- She has filled out the affidavit of support I-864 with all the paperwork, as her income covers the required poverty line
- Neither I or my husband have worked or have had an income in the USA

Now the question, does my husband also have to fill in a I-864 or is the sister's one enough?
Old Nov 6th 2017, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

Embrta is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Affidavit of Support Question

Originally Posted by ItsHappening

- She has filled out the affidavit of support I-864 with all the paperwork, as her income covers the required poverty line

Now the question, does my husband also have to fill in a I-864 or is the sister's one enough?

We have recently done this. Although I am the USC and my husband is the immigrant (or will be)

Your husband needs to fill in a form as well as his sister.

We used my sister in law as the joint sponsor and I filled in the affidavit of support as the petitioner even though my income was zero. I just answered all the questions and attached all of the supporting evidence and written explanations.

Make sure you read the instructions carefully (I read more times than I can remember) to make sure you have everything you need.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 11:54 am
Just Joined

Thank you Embrta, I'm glad I checked as my interview is next week. More forms to fill out.

My medical is tomorrow.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Embrta is on a distinguished road

Thank you Embrta, I'm glad I checked as my interview is next week. More forms to fill out.

My medical is tomorrow.
It will all be over soon. My thoughts were, as long as there are no red flags and we have everything they need the worst that should happen is they need more info and the visa is delayed a little.

Good luck with these last few steps along the way. I'd love to know how it goes for you.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

Sean81 is an unknown quantity at this point

The USC spouse must fill out an I-864
The joint sponsor (your sister-in-law) fills out an I-864a
Old Nov 6th 2017, 2:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sean81
The USC spouse must fill out an I-864
The joint sponsor (your sister-in-law) fills out an I-864a
They are not living in the sister-in-law's home, thus the sil is not a household member, so she needs to do an I-864 as well.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 2:14 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Even if your husband has no US income, he still needs to file US income taxes on the foreign earned income if he worked in the UK. A USC must declare all earned income regardless of where in the world it is earned. It is rare that he will owe taxes on that income if he has paid taxes on it in the UK.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Sean81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
They are not living in the sister-in-law's home, thus the sil is not a household member, so she needs to do an I-864 as well.
I misread the part about living with the sil. Sorry. Thanks for the correction Rete.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 2:54 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Sean81
I misread the part about living with the sil. Sorry. Thanks for the correction Rete.
NP, Sean. I've misread posts in the past and will again, I'm sure
Old Nov 6th 2017, 3:00 pm
JJ123

Jamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond repute

My medical is tomorrow.
Good luck with your medical tomorrow! Let us know how it was. You're a few weeks ahead of me in the process so I've been keeping an eye on your posts for some form of guidance!
Old Nov 6th 2017, 3:29 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Jamackabi
Good luck with your medical tomorrow! Let us know how it was. You're a few weeks ahead of me in the process so I've been keeping an eye on your posts for some form of guidance!
Is it safe to assume that you have read KK85's excellent write up of her recent medical at Knightsbridge or any of the other members who have written detailed accounts. If not, here is KK85's report:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/marri...bridge-904191/
Old Nov 7th 2017, 7:22 am
JJ123

Jamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Is it safe to assume that you have read KK85's excellent write up of her recent medical at Knightsbridge or any of the other members who have written detailed accounts. If not, here is KK85's report:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/marri...bridge-904191/
You would be right to assume!

I'm a regular stalker of these forums.
Old Nov 9th 2017, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone, husband has filed tax forms in the USA while living here so we're good on that front. He'll also fill in an I-864.

Medical went fine, I was really nervous but in the end there wasn't really a need to. Glad to know my vision is still 20/20 and I've actually grown a bit (1.5 cm)!

Had to send in translations for a couple of summary reports of brain surgery I had as a child plus my GP had given me the wrong documents to take with me. Have submitted all of those today.