Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Affidavit of Support question

Affidavit of Support question

Old Feb 25th 2001, 9:39 pm
Jeremy

I've read conflicting things about this but here's our situation.

My US fiancee has been collecting food stamps for about 5 months now (and actually she
won't have to collect for March and we hope ever again) because she's not getting child
support from her ex (due to no fault of his own).

We're now in a situation where we'll be allright, at least until June where her hours at
work may be cut until August. I'm planning on being there with her and married in
April/May. Now does the affidavit of support make it so that she won't be able to collect
food stamps for those two months if we need it? I've read conflicting answers about this.
Obviously we're going to be doing all we can to avoid the situation, but for peace of mind
I'd like to know if that option will be there.

thanks Jeremy

Old Feb 27th 2001, 5:32 pm
Cecilia Villa

Hello Jeremy, Food stamps don't effect the ability of a person sponsor anyone. This was
copied from : http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/pu...public_cqa.htm

Q15: Why does the new INS affidavit of support form ask about whether a sponsor or
member of his or her household has received "means-tested public benefits" in the
past 3 years?

Q16: The purpose of this question is to ensure that the INS or State official making the
decision has access to all facts that may be relevant in determining whether the 125
percent test, described above, is met. Any cash benefits received by the sponsor,
such as SSI or cash TANF, cannot be counted toward meeting the 125 percent income
threshold, but they are not held against the sponsor if he or she can meet the 125
percent test through other resources. The receipt of other means-tested public
benefits - such as Food Stamps, Medicaid, or CHIP - have no effect on sponsorship.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >