Reload this Page >

Affidavit of support advice

Affidavit of support advice

Old Mar 2nd 2018, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

Rosie28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Affidavit of support advice

Hello all,

Appologies if this topic has already been covered- can't find anything!

I'm I'm hoping you can advise me on the following but first I will give you a brief background, my husband is a US citizen, we live in the UK and we have applied for a visa for me through the London field office. We have received our case number and we are in the process of working out how to meet the requirements of the affidavit of support as we both live and work here in the UK and have no family in the US.

So the question is- my husbands London based company have offered to keep him on to work remotely from the states once he moves over. They will supply him with a letter stating that he will continue to work for them and what his annual salary is. Will this be sufficient at the interview to prove he can support me? Also, are the people at the uscis likely to contact his office to clarify? Not a problem, we just need to brief them if that is the case.

any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 11:58 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Affidavit of support advice

It may or may not be sufficient. It will be up to the interviewing officer. All you can do is try.

They are not likely to contact the employer.

Rene
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 12:02 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Assets would be easier, and a lot more likely to be approved if you have savings, investments, and/ or equity in your home.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 6:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Assets would be easier, and a lot more likely to be approved if you have savings, investments, and/ or equity in your home.
Hi Pulaski,

Unfortunately we dont have enough assets or savings to meet the x3 requirements so this is our only option at the moment. We were hoping this would work as his income will continue. Have you heard of this method being rejected in the past?

Thanks for you help
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 6:27 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Another option is to have your USC spouse come to the USA ahead of you and begin working. That way, the income would be current.

Also, a joint sponsor doesn't have to be a family member. It can be anyone in the USA.

Rene
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 8:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Another option is to have your USC spouse come to the USA ahead of you and begin working. That way, the income would be current.

Also, a joint sponsor doesn't have to be a family member. It can be anyone in the USA.

Rene
Hi Rene,

Thanks for your response!

Just to clarify- do you mean move to the US and carry on working for his current employer? If that would make them more likely to accept his income at the interview then we could certainly try it.

With regards to a friend joint sponsoring, we don't really have anyone we know well enough to ask as it seems like a big commitment on their part.

Just one other question about interview- if I was to go ahead with the letter as proof that he will have an income, plus his tax returns to prove what that income would be and they didn't accept it, would they let me re-interview/add new evidence at a later date or do they make you start the process again?

Thanks for your advice!
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 11:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
It may or may not be sufficient. It will be up to the interviewing officer. All you can do is try.

They are not likely to contact the employer.

Rene
I have just re-read the I-864 instructions and it states that my own income could be used to meet the financial requirements if we could provide 'Proof that the intending immigrant’s current employment will continue from the same source if his or her income is being used.'

This makes me feel a little more confident, hopefully if my own income from a current uk source would be adequate then my husbands will be!?

What do you think?
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 11:49 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosie28
Hi Pulaski,

Unfortunately we dont have enough assets or savings to meet the x3 requirements so this is our only option at the moment. We were hoping this would work as his income will continue. Have you heard of this method being rejected in the past? .....
Unfortunately yes, there was someone who posted on BE trying what you are proposing amd whose application was rejected. I can't remember enough to find the post again, but it was relatively recently, within the last year or so.

I agree with Noorah - have your husband go to the US immediately after starting the process (so he can file as a UK resident, which will be quicker), but by the time of your interview he will have current US income and you won't need to persuade the consulate that his income will continue, because he already has income and is working in the US.

.... This makes me feel a little more confident, hopefully if my own income from a current uk source would be adequate then my husbands will be!?

What do you think?
In theory, maybe, but in practice persuading the consulate is not a certainty.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 3rd 2018 at 11:52 am.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Unfortunately yes, there was someone who posted on BE trying what you are proposing amd whose application was rejected. I can't remember enough to find the post again, but it was relatively recently, within the last year or so.

I agree with Noorah - have your husband go to the US immediately after starting the process (so he can file as a UK resident, which will be quicker), but by the time of your interview he will have current US income and you won't need to persuade the consulate that his income will continue, because he already has income and is working in the US.

In theory, maybe, but in practice persuading the consulate is not a certainty.

Thanks for your advice Pulaski!

Disappointing to hear that someone else has been knocked back doing it this way, but good to know now so we know that's it may not work.

My husband will leave for the US asap, probably before I scheduled my interview (we already have our case number etc). If they have a problem with it and need more from us then hopefully they will let us submit more evidence at a later date once he has been there a few months.

Fingers crossed I suppose
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 3:00 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

How was husband's current income reported on his US income tax return? I would submit that OP's situation would show continuation of current income. I don't know how the Gov't people would look at this. But this is an approach to documenting continuation.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
How was husband's current income reported on his US income tax return? I would submit that OP's situation would show continuation of current income. I don't know how the Gov't people would look at this. But this is an approach to documenting continuation.
Hi S Folinsky,

His most recent tax return shows his current income which will continue unbroken once he moves to the US. The annual salery shown is almost double the current required amount.

What's your thoughts in the likelihood of this being accepted?
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi S Folinsky,

His most recent tax return shows his current income which will continue unbroken once he moves to the US. The annual salery shown is almost double the current required amount.

What's your thoughts in the likelihood of this being accepted?
Irrelevant to visas, but please make sure your husband isn't underpaid by American standards for that role.