Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Affidavit of Bona Fide Marriage - Examples?

Affidavit of Bona Fide Marriage - Examples?

Old Dec 5th 2010, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

Guiri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Affidavit of Bona Fide Marriage - Examples?

If you have some of the common 'red flags'
Can you specify what these are?
If you are a vanilla US/UK couple
What IS that exactly?

We don't have any specific concern except the obvious one that we don't want USCIS to come back saying we don't have enough evidence! We are the typical(?) couple who've met online and maintained a relationship, mainly through long-ish stays of UKC on VWP in the US. No shared property, accounts or anything. Recently married in the US.

I'm very appreciative of all the help we get here. I just want to be sure we're doing things right, like everyone else!
Old Dec 5th 2010, 11:08 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guiri
We don't have any specific concern except the obvious one that we don't want USCIS to come back saying we don't have enough evidence!
With respect, and from your various threads, you seem - forgive me - almost obsessive with your focus on how not to screw up. For every horror story you read about, there are, literally, thousands of couple who submit the forms and don't have any issues whatsoever.

Bottom line - it makes no difference what we think about how much evidence you have. We're not the ones who will be making the decision to approve your visa. Asking the same sort of question over and over in different ways isn't going to get you a different response.

If you don't have any specific concerns, then send off the forms and be done with it. If you have a specific concern, then say so. If fear of screwing up has paralyzed you into a state of inaction, then you need to seek professional help.

Ian
Old Dec 5th 2010, 11:41 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm very appreciative of all the help we get here. I just want to be sure we're doing things right, like everyone else!
Most recently married couples do not have the type of evidence showing a joint life together yet. That's normal.

Read over what the I-130 requires as documentation and evidence of a bona fide marriage, include whatever you have, if you want to include a couple of affidavits, that's fine too.

If USCIS has any questions or needs further information from you, they will send an RFE. An RFE is not the end of the world, many people get them. USCIS will not outright deny the I-130 simply because some kind of evidence is missing. Just put the best packet together you can, following the I-130 instructions, and submit it. If you get an RFE, deal with it then.

Rene
Old Dec 5th 2010, 11:54 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Can you specify what these are?
What IS that exactly?

We don't have any specific concern except the obvious one that we don't want USCIS to come back saying we don't have enough evidence! We are the typical(?) couple who've met online and maintained a relationship, mainly through long-ish stays of UKC on VWP in the US. No shared property, accounts or anything. Recently married in the US.

For future use, when I put a phrase in quotes like that it often means that will be a valid search term for you. Skimming the results of such a search, I'd say what I read in the summaries agrees with what I intended when I wrote it for you.
red flags include “unusual cultural differences,”

At the risk of offending someone here, if the petitioner is a 68 y/o thrice divorced man marrying an 18 y/o from a Catholic, developing nation, for example, that's a significant 'cultural difference'.

Don't overthink it.
US/UK relationships generally fall under 'cultural similarities'. They don't get the sort of scrutiny you seem to be concerned about. If it's a legal marriage and your story arc follows that of the majority, that's generally sufficient.
They're looking for people who may have naturalized, dumping a US spouse for a previous non-US spouse, may examine family relationships if it's a long, complex chain migration.. you just aren't thinking of all the *other* kinds of immigration cases there are.

Look, my husband is 13 years older than me, we me and married almost immediately, while I was on vacation.. I thought *that* looked iffy. Now that I know what 'iffy' looks like, I laugh at myself. Just trying to save you some pain.

Last edited by meauxna; Dec 6th 2010 at 12:00 am.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 1:14 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Look, my husband is 13 years older than me, we me and married almost immediately, while I was on vacation.. I thought *that* looked iffy. Now that I know what 'iffy' looks like, I laugh at myself. Just trying to save you some pain.
I second that. My scenario also looked "iffy" to me. I'm American, my fiance was Iranian, and 13 years younger than me. An Iranian man marrying a much older woman is a definite cultural red flag. Plus the fact that it's rare to find an American (with no Iranian heritage) who can speak fluent Farsi. I thought we'd have a more difficult time convincing USCIS and DHS that we're for real, but it was not a problem.

I did happen to notice, when my fiance came through the POE at JFK (I was with him), I peeked over the counter and saw in big red letters someone had written on the first page of his immigration documents "13 year age difference". But that's all I ever heard about it...no one ever verbally said anything about our age to either of us, and he became a USC last year. So it was all fine.

Rene
Old Dec 6th 2010, 7:08 am
Just Joined

Guiri is an unknown quantity at this point

Rene and Meauxna, thank you for your replies and your patience. I realise I might be over-thinking things slightly but I also think it's easy to get paranoid after reading so many other threads here and elsewhere with people's different circumstances and the advice they get. It's hard to know what might be considered a 'normal' relationship in USCIS's eyes.
Bottom line - it makes no difference what we think about how much evidence you have. We're not the ones who will be making the decision to approve your visa.
Yes I think I know that thank you Ian.
Asking the same sort of question over and over in different ways isn't going to get you a different response.
I don't think I've asked the same sort of question over and over (please list my repeated questions if you disagree).
If fear of screwing up has paralyzed you into a state of inaction, then you need to seek professional help.
We are actively putting together our I-130 packet now and when a doubt comes up I post something. Even if it's simply reassurance that what we're doing is the right thing I don't see what's wrong with that and I hope others will benefit from reading this thread. I've asked questions before during the time we were reading the documents and generally getting our heads around the whole process. In case you hadn't noticed applying for a visa is a big deal for many people. You may be reading the same thing day in day out but that's not my problem.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 5:41 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Different circumstances require different advice. Don't get concerned about things that have happened under circumstances different from your own.

There is no "'normal' relationship". Every relationship is unique in one way or another. Examine your relationship and document it with things that describes your relationship.

And have a little self-confidence.

Regards, JEff

I realise I might be over-thinking things slightly but I also think it's easy to get paranoid after reading so many other threads here and elsewhere with people's different circumstances and the advice they get. It's hard to know what might be considered a 'normal' relationship in USCIS's eyes.