Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Affidavit of Bona Fide Marriage - Examples?

Affidavit of Bona Fide Marriage - Examples?

Old Nov 29th 2010, 2:54 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Affidavit of Bona Fide Marriage - Examples?

Originally Posted by Guiri
Hi thanks for all you replies about this.

Another quick question - should the affidavits be hand-written or typed?? I realise it doesn't specify on the i-130 instructions but does anyone have any idea about this? Does it matter?
I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter, as long as it has an original signature on it.

Rene
Old Nov 29th 2010, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Deeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud ofDeeks has much to be proud of

And I think it has to have this "official" bit before their signature.
I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the foregoing is true and correct. Executed on this date...
Old Nov 29th 2010, 9:41 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's important that the affidavits be legible. Some people's hand writing isn't.

Regards, JEff

Another quick question - should the affidavits be hand-written or typed?? I realise it doesn't specify on the i-130 instructions but does anyone have any idea about this? Does it matter?
Old Dec 4th 2010, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

lovemyUKSA is an unknown quantity at this point

If I need signatures than I am screwed. Since we met online and alot of the letters are from people out of state they simply emailed it to us and we printed it out. We didnt put the "official" ending or anything. We hope it doesnt mess us up a bit but since its not a MUST we didnt think it had to be notorized or anything.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 1:12 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lovemyUKSA
If I need signatures than I am screwed. Since we met online and alot of the letters are from people out of state they simply emailed it to us and we printed it out. We didnt put the "official" ending or anything. We hope it doesnt mess us up a bit but since its not a MUST we didnt think it had to be notorized or anything.
Since it's not a MUST, and you don't have the affidavits done the way they should be, I probably just wouldn't include them at all.

Rene
Old Dec 4th 2010, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

Hey, this is Rose's husband. I just loaded up the I-130 instructional PDF, in which it states...

"Affidavits sworn to affirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of the bona fides of the marital relationship. (Each affidavit must contain the full name and address, date and place of birth of the person making the affidavit, his or her relationship to the petitioner of the beneficiary, if any, and complete information explaining how the person acquired his or her knowledge of the marriage)"

Excluding VisaJourney we've never seen evidence of the supporting letters needing to be notarized or signed. The form was revised as of 11/23/2010, so we'd assume if it needed to be notarized it would have been added?

Thanks for all your help, it's greatly appreciated!

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Since it's not a MUST, and you don't have the affidavits done the way they should be, I probably just wouldn't include them at all.

Rene
Old Dec 4th 2010, 1:31 am
Forum Regular

I'm thinking that if the letters are included with all information as instructed, then it's better than not having them in there... more is better in this case, overkill... Rose and I have letters AND envelopes saved, Skype call logs, Emails, anything we've been able to save to show evidence of our relationship. We have a joint bank account with statement print outs, matching tattoos, anything and everything we can think of...

We currently have 13 supporting letters... all containing all the information requested within the I-130 instructions.

Last edited by lovemyUKSA; Dec 4th 2010 at 1:37 am.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 5:39 am

We currently have 13 supporting letters... all containing all the information requested within the I-130 instructions.
Definitely overkill. If you really want to include affidavits, just choose 3, and have them include the "magic language" in the letter. They should sign with original signatures and include contact their contact information (full name, address, phone number).

Do a search for the "magic language" on this site, you'll see that it takes the place of getting the letter notarized. It must be a "sworn affidavit", so that magic language is what makes it "sworn to".

Rene
Old Dec 4th 2010, 2:09 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, this is Rose's husband. I just loaded up the I-130 instructional PDF, in which it states...

"Affidavits sworn to affirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of the bona fides of the marital relationship. (Each affidavit must contain the full name and address, date and place of birth of the person making the affidavit, his or her relationship to the petitioner of the beneficiary, if any, and complete information explaining how the person acquired his or her knowledge of the marriage)"
You probably missed the word "OR" sprinkled liberally around that set of instructions! In a nutshell, affidavits are NOT required.

Ian
Old Dec 4th 2010, 9:22 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Makes me wonder how these affiants have "personal knowledge of the bona fides of the marital relationship"

... we met online and alot of the letters are from people out of state ...
Old Dec 5th 2010, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Makes me wonder how these affiants have "personal knowledge of the bona fides of the marital relationship"
didnt say we never met them, just said they live out of state...
Old Dec 5th 2010, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

Guiri is an unknown quantity at this point

You probably missed the word "OR" sprinkled liberally around that set of instructions!
This comment has got me thinking... We have some friends writing affidavits, but I'm wondering what else we really need to send? I've read people send photos, phone bills, flight tickets etc etc. to back up the 'case', but in light of the above comment does sending extra info make any difference if it's not on the list in the instructions?
Old Dec 5th 2010, 9:08 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

This comment has got me thinking... We have some friends writing affidavits, but I'm wondering what else we really need to send? I've read people send photos, phone bills, flight tickets etc etc. to back up the 'case', but in light of the above comment does sending extra info make any difference if it's not on the list in the instructions?
Are you reading K-1 Fiance visa application experiences, or Immigrant Visa experiences? The applications are different.

The required evidence ("what we really need to send") are detailed in the I-130 instructions.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

Guiri is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. This is for an I-130 with the beneficiary still residing outside the US.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 10:04 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. This is for an I-130 with the beneficiary still residing outside the US.
This could kick off a very esoteric and hypothetical discussion.

If you have some of the common 'red flags', you may have a good reason to 'front load' your petition with different kinds of evidence.

If you are a vanilla US/UK couple from the more or less same age group, the vast bulk of experiences shared by individuals and legal practitioners suggests that you simply follow the form instructions and not overthink it.
There are unintended consequences to many 'creative' actions. The more you give them, the more they have to go through and the more opportunity there is to create questions that require further answers.

This is your third thread on the topic of affidavits about the bona fide nature of your marriage. If you have a specific concern, you should articulate it here so that people can say 'oh, that's nothing, we faced the same' or 'wow, that IS unusual, you should do X'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.