Reload this Page >

Advice Sought: From Greencard to Citizenship

Advice Sought: From Greencard to Citizenship

Old Jan 26th 2010, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

bueno is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice Sought: From Greencard to Citizenship

Hi Guys

I have a greencard and have relocated to the U.S recently from the UK. GC issued in July 09 and moved to U.S Jan 2010. GC was issued as I am the spouse and father of USC (by birth). The GC was initially activated in Aug 09

I just wanted to know of a typical time frame from LPR to USC. What are the key steps I will need to insure I adhere to to make this journey as smooth and as successful as possible.

Regards
Bueno
Old Jan 26th 2010, 1:48 pm
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Advice Sought: From Greencard to Citizenship

Originally Posted by bueno
Hi Guys

I have a greencard and have relocated to the U.S recently from the UK. GC issued in July 09 and moved to U.S Jan 2010. GC was issued as I am the spouse and father of USC (by birth). The GC was initially activated in Aug 09

I just wanted to know of a typical time frame from LPR to USC. What are the key steps I will need to insure I adhere to to make this journey as smooth and as successful as possible.

Regards
Bueno
Lots of info here on this. Commonly it is 5 years from the time you become an LPR until you can apply for citizenship. 3 years if your GC is based on marriage to a US citizen.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Natura...ship_Resources
Old Jan 26th 2010, 2:08 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

The GC was initially activated in Aug 09
If you remain married to and living with your USC spouse, you can apply for naturalization in May 2012... and it usually takes about 6-8 months from the time you apply until the Oath Ceremony.

What are the key steps I will need to insure I adhere to to make this journey as smooth and as successful as possible.
1) Remain married to and living with your USC spouse
2) Continue to file US tax returns - showing "married" (either filing jointly or filing separately)
3) Stay below the radar with respect to law enforcement, except for something minor like a speeding ticket (which is not a problem)
4a) Continue to demonstrate "good moral character"
4b) If you are between 18-26 years old, you must register for Selective Service
4c) If you were required to register but did not, you can't apply for naturalization until after you're 31 (since you must have 5 years worth of "good moral character"... although that may be 3 years if you're married to a USC - can anyone clarify?)

Ian
Old Jan 26th 2010, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

In addition to Ian's suggestions, keep track of your time outside the US while you're a permanent resident. You'll be required to list all trips abroad when applying for naturalization.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 2:49 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
In addition to Ian's suggestions, keep track of your time outside the US while you're a permanent resident. You'll be required to list all trips abroad when applying for naturalization.
Isn't there some requirement where you have to be here in the US, uninterrupted, for a certain period of time, like 18 months if going for a marriage based sponsorship? Continuous residency or something?
Old Jan 26th 2010, 2:53 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Isn't there some requirement where you have to be here in the US, uninterrupted, for a certain period of time, like 18 months if going for a marriage based sponsorship? Continuous residency or something?
I think it just has to be 18 months out of the three years in country.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Yes, there is both a "physical presence" and a "continuous residence" requirement. They are described in the USCIS Guide to Naturalization. If the applicant is skating close to the edge of either of these, it's very important to have all trips thoroughly documented.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much guys.

When do I need to file taxes. If i was working in the UK until last month but was initially given my greencard back in July 09. Would these need to be declared - Even though I paid income tax in the U.K.

Dont wanna open a can of worms but wanna do things the right way

Thanks
Old Jan 26th 2010, 7:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much guys.

When do I need to file taxes. If i was working in the UK until last month but was initially given my greencard back in July 09. Would these need to be declared - Even though I paid income tax in the U.K.

Dont wanna open a can of worms but wanna do things the right way

Thanks
No can of worms to open. If you had your green card in July 2009, then yes...you need to file a US tax return for 2009. Deadline for filing is April 15, 2010, unless you ask for an extension.

You probably won't have to pay any tax in the USA, but you need to file the return and declare all worldwide income. You'll need to do this every year now that you're a US PR.

Rene
Old Jan 27th 2010, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Noorah

But my working in the UK whilst having a GC - will this affect my GC status? Though it was still within the 6month period.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 1:32 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

But my working in the UK whilst having a GC - will this affect my GC status?
No... the US doesn't care where you work - especially for so short a time.

Ian
Old Jan 27th 2010, 2:33 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

But my working in the UK whilst having a GC - will this affect my GC status?
No.

Rene
Old Jan 28th 2010, 4:10 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You probably won't have to pay any tax in the USA, but you need to file the return and declare all worldwide income. You'll need to do this every year now that you're a US PR.
If you already paid UK income taxes, be sure to check out Form 2555-Foreign Earned Income Exclusion.

~ Jenney