Old Sep 4th 2016, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

M901 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice needed

wrongforum sorry

Last edited by M901; Sep 4th 2016 at 11:56 pm. Reason: wrong forum sorry
Old Sep 5th 2016, 12:33 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed

No. This is the right forum and the one you posted in is the wrong forum.

The fiancée visa is only good if you plan on marrying within 90 days of entering the US with an approved fiancée visa.

If you don't want to get married (she has the sweet life still living at home at age 25), then continue to visit one another under the VWP.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 12:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
No. This is the right forum and the one you posted in is the wrong forum.

The fiancée visa is only good if you plan on marrying within 90 days of entering the US with an approved fiancée visa.

If you don't want to get married (she has the sweet life still living at home at age 25), then continue to visit one another under the VWP.
Hi. Visiting under the VWP is not something we want to do as we have been doing it for 3 years and want something more permanent. I felt my questions was more broad with college/job/marriage and thought the other forum would be a better place. I apologise.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 12:57 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by M901
Hi all, browsing the forum and reading posts but i thought i would create my own to ask a few questions and explain my situation.

Currently in a long distance relationship for the last 3 years. She is a US citizen and i am from the UK. We now plan on me moving over here to the states. I'm currently here visiting for a few months on an ESTA, have been here multiple times over the years and she has also visited me.

I have no degree but a strong IT background with programming skills. No A levels but i do have my GCSE's. Are GCSE's recognised out here? I would not mind going to college out here if that is possible, are A levels required? Or can i do a year or two at a community college before going to a major school? How long could i stay out here on a student visa? Could i apply for financial help from the UK?(student loans)

What would be the easiest way for me to be out here with her? I read several posts on fiancé based visa's. Is that the easiest/fastest way? How long would this take? Would i be able to come here on the fiance visa and then apply for college/jobs? She still lives with her parents but we are both over 25, would this matter?

Sorry for all the questions, i appreciate any help i get. Thank you
A K-1 fiance visa would work, .... but you won't, for about five months after you arrive because of the necessary adjustment from K-1 fiancé to CR-1 status. A CR-1 after marrying would be easier IMO. .... So get married now, while you're here, then go home and you should be back in the US about 8-10 months from now with a shiny new CR-1 visa in your passport, and full authorization to work from the moment you clear immigration, even though you won't have an SSN yet.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 1:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
A K-1 fiance visa would work, .... but you won't, for about five months after you arrive because of the necessary adjustment from K-1 fiancé to CR-1 status. A CR-1 after marrying would be easier IMO. .... So get married now, while you're here, then go home and you should be back in the US about 8-10 months from now with a shiny CR-1 visa in your passport, and full authorization to work from the moment you clear immigration, even though you won't have an SSN yet.
Hi thank you for your advice i really appreciate it. The marriage route seems the best option. I also read up on sponsoring, would this only work if i got a job sponsorship? Or can one of her family members sponsor me and would i be able to work with the family sponsorship. Just trying to way out my options and i do really appreciate your advice. Thank you
Old Sep 5th 2016, 1:03 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. Visiting under the VWP is not something we want to do as we have been doing it for 3 years and want something more permanent. I felt my questions was more broad with college/job/marriage and thought the other forum would be a better place. I apologise.
There'll be lot of färtinğ around with an F-1 student visa, and you'll be stuck paying out of state fees, AND you can't, for all practical purposes, work on an F-1 visa (rights to work are very limited, "on campus" only).

Your GCSE's might get you some credits towards an associates degree (you'll need to get them evaluated) from your local community college, which you should look at a stepping stone to a bachelor's degree, and eventually a masters degree if you are in an IT career.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 5th 2016 at 1:43 am.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 1:07 am

Hi thank you for your advice i really appreciate it. The marriage route seems the best option. I also read up on sponsoring, would this only work if i got a job sponsorship? Or can one of her family members sponsor me and would i be able to work with the family sponsorship. Just trying to way out my options and i do really appreciate your advice. Thank you
Your wife must sponsor you, if she doesn't have sufficient income (currently $20,025 pa, IIRC, being 25% over federal poverty - but more if she lives in Hawaii or Alaska), then she'd need a joint sponsor, which could be a family member, but doesn't have to be - can be any US citizen or permanent resident, who is living in the USA.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 5th 2016 at 1:42 am.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 2:14 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

The marriage route seems the best option.
With respect, given your lack of skills and education, it's likely the only viable option. Everything else will be a waste of time.

I also read up on sponsoring, would this only work if i got a job sponsorship?
Yes... unless you want to get married - in which case your wife will be your sponsor.

... can one of her family members sponsor me and would i be able to work with the family sponsorship.
No.

Just trying to way out my options and i do really appreciate your advice.
Many hundreds of people come to this forum and post the same dilemma as you. Most of them run through endless permutations on a theme only to realize, at the end of things, that the only way they'll ever come to the US to live and work is if they get married. So... let's cut to the chase. Get married.

Ian