Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Adjustment of Status checklist

Adjustment of Status checklist

Old Jun 27th 2017, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

BigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Adjustment of Status checklist

Hey all

So we're pretty close to sending off the AOS package, just wanna run it by you wonderful people. I'll break it down into the three sections, AOS, EAD and AP.

Adjustment of Status:

1) Filing fee ($1225)
2) Form I-485
3) G-325A
4) Copy of Birth Certificate
5) Copy of Police Certificate
6) Copy of Marriage Certificate
7) Copy of I-797 from I-129F
8) Most recent I-94 Print Out
9) Passport Biographical Page Copy
10) K-1 Visa Copy
11) K-1 Entry Stamp Copy
12) I-693* (Sealed)
13) I-864 for petitioner, with tax transcripts as evidence
14) I-864 for joint sponsor, with three years of tax transcripts and a letter of employment
15) 2x passport photos with Alien number and name written on the back

*I got this done because my DS-3025 was not marked as complete because I did not have a flu shot. The Civil Surgeon marked it as not in flu season. Do I need to include the DS-3025 or is it redundant now that I have the I-693?

EAD:

1) Form I-765
2) Most recent I-94 Print Out
3) Passport Biographical Page Copy
4) K-1 Visa Copy
5) K-1 Entry Stamp Copy
6) 2x passport photos with Alien number and name written on the back

AP:

1) Form I-131
2) Most recent I-94 Print Out
3) Passport Biographical Page Copy
4) K-1 Visa Copy
5) K-1 Entry Stamp Copy
6) 2x passport photos with Alien number and name written on the back

Can anyone spot any glaring omissions?
Old Jun 27th 2017, 9:15 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adjustment of Status checklist

14) also make the joint sponsor includes proof of US citizenship or PR status.

No, you don't need to include the DS-3025.

Nothing else missing that I can see offhand.

Rene
Old Jun 27th 2017, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

BigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBoss1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
14) also make the joint sponsor includes proof of US citizenship or PR status.

No, you don't need to include the DS-3025.

Nothing else missing that I can see offhand.

Rene
Thanks Rene. Does the initial petitioner, my wife now, need to put proof of US citizenship or just the joint sponsor?
Old Jun 27th 2017, 9:24 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Why are you including a police certificate and where is the police certificate from? Unless you have a criminal history, those adjusting from within the US do not have to submit police clearance certificates.

Also where is the evidence of your marriage, other than the certificate? Do you have few photos to include? Perhaps a copy of a lease, utility bill, telephone bill, etc. with both your names on it?

Sign all documents in blue ink. Why? Because blue ink will indicate that it is an original signature as opposed to black which is the color on a photocopy.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rete
Why are you including a police certificate and where is the police certificate from? Unless you have a criminal history, those adjusting from within the US do not have submit police clearance certificates.

Also where is the evidence of your marriage, other than the certificate? Do you have few photos to include? Perhaps a copy of a lease, utility bill, telephone bill, etc. with both your names on it?

Sign all documents in blue ink. Why? Because blue ink will indicate that it is an original signature as opposed to black which is the color on a photocopy.
Police certificate is from ACRO, the one we took to the interview. Don't have a criminal history so will take out.

We have tonnes of photos and in the process of setting up joint bank accounts - but I thought for AOS the only thing they required was a marriage certificate? I thought all of the evidence of a bonafide marriage was during ROC?
Old Jun 27th 2017, 9:30 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigBoss1984
Police certificate is from ACRO, the one we took to the interview. Don't have a criminal history so will take out.

We have tonnes of photos and in the process of setting up joint bank accounts - but I thought for AOS the only thing they required was a marriage certificate? I thought all of the evidence of a bonafide marriage was during ROC?

No, because sometimes the AOS is approved without an interview. Personally, I would include solid proof. What does the R stand for in ROC???
Old Jun 27th 2017, 10:50 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

AOS cases from K-1 visa do not ask for proof of joint life together until the interview. If the interview is waived, so be it.

Rene
Old Jun 27th 2017, 10:52 pm

ROC means Removal of Conditions, I assume.

Yes, keep collecting that proof even after the AOS interview, for the Removal of Conditions.

Rene
Old Jun 27th 2017, 11:51 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Noorah101
AOS cases from K-1 visa do not ask for proof of joint life together until the interview. If the interview is waived, so be it.

Rene
When we applied for AOS from a K-1, we had to include evidence of our commingled lives and were asked to produce it at the interview as well.

When did they change the requirement?
Old Jun 28th 2017, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Rete
When we applied for AOS from a K-1, we had to include evidence of our commingled lives and were asked to produce it at the interview as well.

When did they change the requirement?
Hi Rete,

In 2004, we did not send any evidence of our commingled lives along with the AOS package. We brought originals and copies to the AOS interview. The AOS Officer kept a few photocopies at that time and gave the rest back to us.

The I-485 instructions don't mention sending evidence of joint life together at all.

https://www.uscis.gov/i-485

Rene