Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Action Required: Review of new I-130 Guides for FAQ.

Action Required: Review of new I-130 Guides for FAQ.

Old Aug 27th 2004, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Action Request: Review of new I-130 Guides for FAQ.

By popular request I made a huge guide for people who have or need to file an I-130. This covers the traditional I-130 process for people with a spouse in OR out of the US. It also covers people who filed an I-130 and an I-129f (i.e. for a K3) and had their I-130 approved before the I-129f. This does not cover filing for a K3, as that guide has already been written and is online now.

There are three sections to review. None of these sections should be used by anyone for anything but review. There may be errors and it would be unwise to use them as a general guide until they are fully peer reviewed.

Filing for a Spouse outside the US:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/in...?pg=i130guide1

Filing for a Spouse inside the US:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/in...?pg=i130guide2

FAQ's on the I-130 process:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?pg=i130faq

Please review the above links and let me know anything you find. This is a big addition to the overall "K" FAQ's and is long past due.

Thanks everyone!
-Steve

Last edited by Steve2003; Aug 27th 2004 at 6:21 am.
Old Aug 30th 2004, 10:18 am
Big Jim

Default Re: Action Required: Review of new I-130 Guides for FAQ.

You might want to mention what the poverty levels used in the
I-864 are. I found them mentioned here. Not sure of the best
original source. I suppose they change annually?

http://www.murthy.com/news/ukpovert.html

48 Contiguous States plus D.C.
Size of Family Unit Guideline
1 $8,980
2 12,120
3 15,260
4 18,400
5 21,540
6 24,680
7 27,820
8 30,960

-----

President Bush says he has just one question for the
American voters: Is the rich person you're working for
better off now than they were four years ago?

Old Aug 30th 2004, 11:26 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Action Request: Review of new I-130 Guides for FAQ.

Originally Posted by Steve2003

FAQ's on the I-130 process:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?pg=i130faq

-Steve
Hi:

On the I-130 filed with a Service Center. I would NOT use a money order, but rather a personal check drawn on a US bank -- they are much easier to track than a money order.

The benefciary's birth certificate or passport is NOT needed with the I-130, but will be needed later in the visa application process.

For pre-interview, I would recommend assembling the original documents. They are not to be sent in before the interview. I would recommend taking the original and two copies of each documents.

The "visa reciprocity tables" from the FAM found in http://travel.state.gov should be consulted for document availablity and descriptions.

On police clearances, as per the FAM, they may be unavailable. Or with some countries [Korea comes to mind], they will be sent directly to the consulate from the involved government.

On birth certificates, as per the FAM, they may be unavailable. Or certain countries don't have individual birth certificates as understood in the US, but the FAM will describe the suitable document.

On the "long form" birth certificate, again, look at the Visa Reciprocity Table. The term "long form" usually makes sense only in the context of countries of the British Commonwealth.

On the "ten foot pole" issues. I can't fault your posting all that much except that its a little too strong. I would point out that it should not be used as a planning tool and can lead to the consequences you describe. On top of misrepresentation problems, it can also be "smuggling" which is treated even worse. It can also have criminal consequences for the petitioner. This ian an area suitable for attorney consulation. I would recommend that when it comes to illegal conduct, recitence or silence is often an advisable strategy -- e.g. discussion on public newsgroups.

Last edited by Folinskyinla; Aug 30th 2004 at 11:47 am. Reason: Putting additional information
Old Aug 30th 2004, 11:40 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve2003

Filing for a Spouse inside the US:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/in...?pg=i130guide2

Please review the above links and let me know anything you find. This is a big addition to the overall "K" FAQ's and is long past due.

Thanks everyone!
-Steve
Hi:

Fees -- if permitted, use a personal check on a US bank to pay fees, they are easier to track.

Fees -- do NOT rely on fees printed on CIS instruction sheets -- they are often out of date. Look to fees quoted on www.uscis.gov web site.

Fees -- extra fingerprint fee is required. Currently $70. Not needed for applicants under 14, who also have a lower I-485 fee.

Fees -- an I-601 is NO FEE, if, and ONLY if filed WITH an I-485. Later filing DOES require a fee. Whether to file an I-601 is an important decision -- like the J-1, consulation with an attorney is recommended. [BTW, many J-1's are NOT subject to the 2 year foreign resident requirement. Also, the documentation on this is not to be trusted].

Processing order -- a fingerprint appointment will be set. Some districts sent out an actual appointment on a G-56, others instruct you to contact the 800 line to set up an appointment. Once good fingerprints are taken, any clearance will be good for 15 months [this can give you an indication that the local CIS believes your case will be done in that time -- if a second set of FP's is required, it is CIS which pays extra money, NOT the applicant.]

Last edited by Folinskyinla; Aug 31st 2004 at 4:29 am.
Old Aug 30th 2004, 12:14 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Big Jim ..you are a little out of date

2004 Poverty Guidelines*
Minimum Income Requirement For Use in Completing Form I-864
Sponsor household size
2 $15,612
3 $19,587
4 $23,562
5 $27,537
6 $31,512
7 $35,487
8 $39,462

Add $3,975 for each additional person.
Old Aug 31st 2004, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks everyone! I will incorporate them asap!

Last edited by Steve2003; Aug 31st 2004 at 7:11 am.
Old Aug 31st 2004, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ray
Big Jim ..you are a little out of date

2004 Poverty Guidelines*
Minimum Income Requirement For Use in Completing Form I-864
Sponsor household size
2 $15,612
3 $19,587
4 $23,562
5 $27,537
6 $31,512
7 $35,487
8 $39,462

Add $3,975 for each additional person.
Poverty limits are always available at this link http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/f...les/I-864p.pdf or at the USCIS.gov forms page.

BTW, all comments should be incorporated.

Thanks for all the inputs!!

Last edited by Steve2003; Aug 31st 2004 at 8:19 am.