Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

ACRO certificate and moving house

ACRO certificate and moving house

Old Jan 25th 2018, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

MarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond repute
Default ACRO certificate and moving house

Hello everyone,

After a 9 month wait we've finally heard back from the NVC that my case has been received and we're through to the next stage of the process (woooo)

I want to get ahead with everything and be as organised and prepared as possible and was going to apply for my ACRO certificate so i have it to hand when needed. However, i'll be moving house (still in the UK) in the next couple of months, and i was wondering if that would render my ACRO invalid if i apply for it now at my old address?

When choosing my agent i chose myself at my mum's address since i'm unsure of where i'll be living if any correspondence does come through, so will i have to inform the NVC of my move at all if they will be contacting me there anyway?

thank you
Old Jan 25th 2018, 11:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ACRO certificate and moving house

The ACRO is not about where you live but about your criminal history or lack thereof. Moving will not affect it whatsoever.

You do not have to advise anyone of the move since you have put a stable address in the system for contacting you. You can update your resident address at the time of completing the forms in the UK for your Consulate interview.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

MarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond reputeMarieN has a reputation beyond repute

Ah thank you, that's a relief. I was worried it would mention the address i'm at now on the certificate. Saves me having to wait until i change everything over to get my proof of address too so that's good. thank you .
Old Jan 26th 2018, 1:39 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

I assume you also provided an email address to the NVC? If you did, you will only hear from them by email, with very few exceptions. We got everything by email except the official notice from them that my visa type had changed from CR-1 to IR-1 which arrived a few days after our second wedding anniversary. No idea why they felt the need to tell us of this or put it in writing but they did.
Old Jan 26th 2018, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Yes I gave them my email address I'm just working my way through the form and have a couple more questions if anyone knows the answers?

1: do i just need 1 certificate or should i order a copy too?
2: Where it asks for my Surname should i put my surname as per my passport (still in my old name) or put my new married name? I sent off my i-130 in my new married name but informed them of my old name. Does this matter?

thank you so much for your advice
Old Jan 26th 2018, 2:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarieN
Yes I gave them my email address I'm just working my way through the form and have a couple more questions if anyone knows the answers?

1: do i just need 1 certificate or should i order a copy too?
You will only need one copy and that is to be given to the Doctor's at Knightsbridge. But always good to have a backup.

2: Where it asks for my Surname should i put my surname as per my passport (still in my old name) or put my new married name? I sent off my i-130 in my new married name but informed them of my old name. Does this matter?

thank you so much for your advice
I would put my maiden name. They need to clear you from birth onward.

If you are able to, I would put it as Rete nee Smith Jones
Old Jan 26th 2018, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

I've had three names though. My passport is in my previous married name. There is a section that asks if i've ever been known by any other names so i was going to put my maiden name in there.
Old Jan 26th 2018, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

I've had three names though. My passport is in my previous married name. There is a section that asks if i've ever been known by any other names so i was going to put my maiden name in there.
Put the name you are currently using when you fill out the form in the Surname field, and any other names you've used in the other names section.
Old Jan 26th 2018, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

So I should put my current surname even if it isn't on my passport and then put my previous married name and my maiden name in the other field?
Old Jan 28th 2018, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

So I should put my current surname even if it isn't on my passport and then put my previous married name and my maiden name in the other field?
I am a UKC who recently went through the CR-1 process to join my USC husband in PA. I put my married name on all forms throughout the process, under the advice that this would mean my visa (and, subsequently, my green card) would be issued in my married name. My passport was (and still is) in my maiden name - I was incorrectly told that wouldn't determine/affect the name on my visa at all.

My visa was issued in my maiden name, as this is the name on my passport. When I went for my interview at the embassy, I was questioned about this and advised that this would be the case.

My advice, therefore, is to change your name on your passport if it is important to you to have your US documentation in your married name; alternatively, simply be prepared to carry your marriage certificate around with you when applying for bank accounts etc. when you get to the States. I wanted everything to be in my married name, but to be honest it has caused very little issue. I was able to have my SSN issued in my married name; I am employed under my married name; my bank accounts are under my married name; but my only (current) official identification (passport) is in my maiden name.

I imagine that, in the case of your ACRO, the name it is issued in will be of little importance, so long as it can be linked back to you through the name that is on it and through any documentation you have that proves that is you.
Old Jan 28th 2018, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

That's really helpful, thanks KK85
Old Jan 28th 2018, 9:54 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

FYI the address you put on your ACRO application form will appear on your certificate although I doubt that will render it invalid for the purposes of the US Embassy.

Old Feb 3rd 2018, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

Hi everyone, thanks for your help. I received a duplicate email from the NVC with the welcome letter attached today. I don't know why they've sent it again, but i was re-reading the checklist of documents to send over and it asks for a police certificate. Is that only if i state that i have any criminal convictions on the form or do they want me to send over a copy of the ACRO?
Old Feb 3rd 2018, 11:09 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone, thanks for your help. I received a duplicate email from the NVC with the welcome letter attached today. I don't know why they've sent it again, but i was re-reading the checklist of documents to send over and it asks for a police certificate. Is that only if i state that i have any criminal convictions on the form or do they want me to send over a copy of the ACRO?
To my knowledge, they want a copy of the ACRO.

Rene
Old Feb 6th 2018, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

That's really helpful, thanks KK85
You're welcome.

I agree with Rene - I believe they are asking for your ACRO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.