Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / USA / Marriage Based Visas

Old Oct 4th 2017, 9:46 am   #1
Forum Regular

AndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Accompanying wife on her IR-1 interview London.

I would like to accompany my wife on her IR-1 interview at the London Embassy but not sure what I need to do. Is there a form or something I need to fill in beforehand? It’s a good bet I will need my US passport but is there anything else.

Many Thanks
AndyMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th 2017, 10:51 am   #2
tom169 Male
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accompanying wife on her IR-1 interview London.

I believe she will need to contact the embassy after she has her interview date and ask for you to be added to the list.

If you aren't on the list you won't be allowed in.

That said, the whole process will likely take not that long. There are enough coffee shops and a park nearby to put your feet up for an hour or two.
tom169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th 2017, 1:12 pm   #3
Chins 
Forum Regular

Chins is an unknown quantity at this point

Recomendations for good coffee shops nearby appreciated. My wife will be waiting outside tomorrow. She is still miffed they dont want to see her
Chins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th 2017, 9:20 am   #4
Forum Regular

AndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond repute

If you go into the London embassy is there a place to leave big bags and such?

Thanks.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 11:06 am   #5
tom169 Male
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMan74 View Post

Thanks.
Not really. It will be a pain getting big bags through security scanners. It's like an airport style security to get in.
tom169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th 2017, 11:58 am   #6
az2014 
Forum Regular

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Thanks.
Why would you take big bags with you
az2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th 2017, 12:06 pm   #7
KK85 Female
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by az2014 View Post
I imagine lots of people have to stay in London overnight in order to attend their interview, so might be carrying a bit of extra luggage. I am very fortunate to have a sister who has offered to come with me to mine, for precisely this reason!

Glad to hear there are plenty of coffee shops nearby for her to lounge in.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 1:11 pm   #8
tom169 Male
BE Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK85 View Post
I imagine lots of people have to stay in London overnight in order to attend their interview, so might be carrying a bit of extra luggage. I am very fortunate to have a sister who has offered to come with me to mine, for precisely this reason!

Glad to hear there are plenty of coffee shops nearby for her to lounge in.
I managed a change of clothes in a rucksack and used hotel toiletries etc. Easy
Old Oct 10th 2017, 4:33 pm   #9
BenK91 Male
BE Enthusiast

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

As Tom said, it's pretty much airport-style security.

I believe some of the corner shops nearby offer a lockbox service, but I think this is mostly for phones or laptops and that sort of thing.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 5:35 pm   #10
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by az2014 View Post
KK85 hit the nail on the head - I might have to step carefully answering your question but its my wife who is having the interview

Yea we have to stay in a hotel so I will have some stuff with me. I imagine I will be a pack mule in the park and wait and grab a coffee
Old Oct 10th 2017, 5:46 pm   #11
Rete Female
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
KK85 hit the nail on the head - I might have to step carefully answering your question but its my wife who is having the interview

Yea we have to stay in a hotel so I will have some stuff with me. I imagine I will be a pack mule in the park and wait and grab a coffee

If you are staying at a hotel, why not leave the bags with them until after the interview and then go and pick them up. Works whether you attend the interview with her or not.
Rete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th 2017, 6:09 pm   #12
az2014 
Forum Regular

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Every time ive stayed at a hotel in my life it has never been a problem to leave luggage there after checking out and picking it up later.
az2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th 2017, 11:05 pm   #13
Just Joined

LandOfLincoln is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Thanks.
When I went for my IR-1 interview last week there was a sign outside the visa applicant security hut detailing local businesses which offered photocopy, passport photo and luggage/laptop storage services. One was a pharmacy, one was a newsagent and I think there was one other, all local to the embassy. Obviously the US Embassy London cannot and does not endorse these external services (as their disclaimer makes clear!) but they clearly see enough people coming for interviews without having read the guidelines on what to bring / what not to bring that they now put these suggestions on a sign.
LandOfLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / USA / Marriage Based Visas