$25000 to sponsor me

Old Jun 4th 2013, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

liverpoolfc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default $25000 to sponsor me

Hello everyone,

I'm sorry if something similar to what I'm about to post has already been posted. I scrolled through a few threads that i thought were similar but they weren't.

I've met an American girl who I am deeply in love with, she also loves me. We've been dating each other for just over a year now, but we are confident we are "the one". I'm from the UK, so we have been in long distant relationship. We have both discussed marriage and are ready to get married.

I have to move there, she cannot move here since she has children. The problem is, for me to move there she needs to sponsor me. She needs to show that she earns $25000 per annum. She doesn't earn this much, not even close.

I've done some research and found that someone could co-sponsor, she doesn't know anyone that has this amount of money. Another option is i could show that i earn $25000 worth of income per annum. Again, i don't earn this kind of money either.

We are very in love and have been the happiest we have ever been. At the beginning we had no idea it would be hard for a UK citizen to move to the USA. We thought it would be hard for those living in third world countries, where sham marriages are more likely to occur for the sake of a green card.

What options do we have?

Last edited by liverpoolfc; Jun 4th 2013 at 7:22 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $25000 to sponsor me

At the moment it is much easier for a UK citizen to emigrate to the US to join a US spouse than the other way round, so consider yourself lucky.

Any US citizen or permanent resident living in the US can be the joint sponsor. (for spouses moving to the UK, that is not the case.) Some forms of government benefits can be used towards the income requirements for the sponsor.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by henryh
At the moment it is much easier for a UK citizen to emigrate to the US to join a US spouse than the other way round, so consider yourself lucky.

Any US citizen or permanent resident living in the US can be the joint sponsor. (for spouses moving to the UK, that is not the case.) Some forms of government benefits can be used towards the income requirements for the sponsor.
Ok first of all, ignore my ignorance or naiveness, but what's the difference between a US cirizen or a permanent resident? She's a US citizen, but i'm asking that because i've seen the two being used a lot in the research that i have done.

She has a disabled child, most of her income is from the benefits she gets because of him. She doesn't make much apart from that. No where near $25000
Old Jun 4th 2013, 6:10 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liverpoolfc
I've done some research and found that someone could co-sponsor, she doesn't know anyone that has this amount of money.
The joint sponsor (not co-sponsor) needs to earn the right amount of money to cover their own household size plus the immigrant. The level of income can be found at www.uscis.gov, Form I-864P (125% column).

Assets can also be used (cash in the bank works best). For the sponsor, assets need to value 3x the amount lacking in income. For the joint sponsor, assets need to value 5x the amount lacking in income.

Another option is i could show that i earn $25000 worth of income per annum. Again, i don't earn this kind of money either.
Then it's not really an option for you, if you don't currently earn that amount, and can prove that the income will continue from the same source once inside the USA.

What options do we have?
1. Your fiancee/wife finds employment or a second job to bring her level of income up to where it needs to be;
2. You and/or your fiancee/wife save up until you have enough cash in the bank to use as an asset;
3. Find a joint sponsor who qualifies.

These are your only options.

That said....keep in mind that the Affidavit of Support for a K-1 visa is different than the one for an Immigrant Visa. It's a bit easier to meet the requirements for the I-134 (K-1 visa), but you're still stuck with the problem when it comes time to AOS in the USA (which uses the I-864 which is more strict).

Which visa were you planning on going for?

Rene
Old Jun 4th 2013, 6:13 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok first of all, ignore my ignorance or naiveness, but what's the difference between a US cirizen or a permanent resident? She's a US citizen, but i'm asking that because i've seen the two being used a lot in the research that i have done.
One is a US Citizen, one is a Permenent Resident (green card holder). A PR does not have all the rights that a USC does.

She has a disabled child, most of her income is from the benefits she gets because of him. She doesn't make much apart from that. No where near $25000
Besides the issue of the Affidavit of Support, are you sure you guys will have enough money to live on in the USA? What about health insurance, is she covered by an employer and can add you to the policy?

Rene
Old Jun 4th 2013, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The joint sponsor (not co-sponsor) needs to earn the right amount of money to cover their own household size plus the immigrant. The level of income can be found at www.uscis.gov, Form I-864P (125% column).

Assets can also be used (cash in the bank works best). For the sponsor, assets need to value 3x the amount lacking in income. For the joint sponsor, assets need to value 5x the amount lacking in income.

Then it's not really an option for you, if you don't currently earn that amount, and can prove that the income will continue from the same source once inside the USA.

1. Your fiancee/wife finds employment or a second job to bring her level of income up to where it needs to be;
2. You and/or your fiancee/wife save up until you have enough cash in the bank to use as an asset;
3. Find a joint sponsor who qualifies.

These are your only options.

That said....keep in mind that the Affidavit of Support for a K-1 visa is different than the one for an Immigrant Visa. It's a bit easier to meet the requirements for the I-134 (K-1 visa), but you're still stuck with the problem when it comes time to AOS in the USA (which uses the I-864 which is more strict).

Which visa were you planning on going for?

Rene
Thanks for the reply noorah, We only started our research now, we stumbled on the sponsor's requirements and haven't looked further. So we don't know what visa i should go for. I haven't travelled much and this is pretty much all new to me. i had a look at the USCIS website for more information but everything just seems very complicated.

Her disabled child constantly requires care, its pretty much a full time job for her. Her only source of income is stuff she makes and sells. I'm a graduate and looking for a job. My only job right now is working in retail (which doesn't pay much)
Old Jun 4th 2013, 6:30 pm

Thanks for the reply noorah, We only started our research now, we stumbled on the sponsor's requirements and haven't looked further. So we don't know what visa i should go for. I haven't travelled much and this is pretty much all new to me. i had a look at the USCIS website for more information but everything just seems very complicated.

Her disabled child constantly requires care, its pretty much a full time job for her. Her only source of income is stuff she makes and sells. I'm a graduate and looking for a job. My only job right now is working in retail (which doesn't pay much)
There are two visas you can get by marriage to a USC:

1. K-1 fiance(e) Visa, in which you apply as a fiance, and must marry in the USA within 90 days of entry on the K-1, then apply for Adjustment of Status (AOS) to get your green card; or

2. Immigrant Visa, in which you marry first (you can marry in the USA on a VWP trip) and then do the visa process. You become a US PR (get your green card) as soon as you enter the USA using the Immigrant Visa.

Both processes take about 8 - 10 months to complete, and both require Affidavits of Support.

See this comparison chart and then come on back with any questions:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Compar...ge-based_visas

Rene
Old Jun 4th 2013, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

There are two visas you can get by marriage to a USC:

1. K-1 fiance(e) Visa, in which you apply as a fiance, and must marry in the USA within 90 days of entry on the K-1, then apply for Adjustment of Status (AOS) to get your green card; or

2. Immigrant Visa, in which you marry first (you can marry in the USA on a VWP trip) and then do the visa process. You become a US PR (get your green card) as soon as you enter the USA using the Immigrant Visa.

Both processes take about 8 - 10 months to complete, and both require Affidavits of Support.

See this comparison chart and then come on back with any questions:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Compar...ge-based_visas

Rene
Thanks Rene, that last link breaks things down much better.

In relation to me being sponsored: if we manage to save $25000 together then we could use that to show our assets? We were under the impression that we needed to show one of us has $25000 coming in each year.

And this may sound a bit stupid but the i-129F would be filled out before the UKC enters USA right?
Old Jun 4th 2013, 8:06 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

You do need to show $25,000 "coming in each year." Alterntively, you need 3x the difference between what is "comin in" and $25,000 in the form of lquidable assets. That would be $75,000 in assets if there is $0 coming in each year. (This is a firm requirement to adjust status and become a US Permanent Resident after entering the USA and getting married. The requirement to first get the K-1 visa is less well defined.)

Keep in mind, this is the legal requirement. What you need to live a tolerable life style could be something much different.
In relation to me being sponsored: if we manage to save $25000 together then we could use that to show our assets? We were under the impression that we needed to show one of us has $25000 coming in each year.
The I-129f must be filled out, submitted, and approved before the UKC can apply for their K-1 visa.
And this may sound a bit stupid but the i-129F would be filled out before the UKC enters USA right?
Regards, JEff
Old Jun 4th 2013, 8:08 pm

In relation to me being sponsored: if we manage to save $25000 together then we could use that to show our assets?
$25,000 would not be enough in assets. Look at the I-864P, here:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf

If your household size is 2 (your fiancee/wife plus yourself), her income needs to be at least $19,387 per year. If she wants to use assets, the asset value needs to be 3x what is lacking in income. I know you said she has a small income, but you didn't say how much...but as an example, someone with zero income needs to show 3x $19,387 in assets to qualify. That comes to $58,161.

As another example, let's say someone works part time 20 hours per week, earning $10.00 per hour. That yearly income is $10,400. $19,387 minus $10,400 equals $9,387. So for someone in a household of 2, earning $10,400 a year, who wants to use assets, they are lacking $9,387 of income. So, $9387 x 3 = $28,161 needed in asset value.

We were under the impression that we needed to show one of us has $25000 coming in each year.
Your impression is incorrect.

Oh yes, long before. The I-129F is only the petition, which is filed by the USC to establish the relationship between the USC and the visa applicant. Once the I-129F gets approved by USCIS, then the intending immigrant applies for the K-1 visa. Only when he has the K-1 visa in hand can he then enter the USA with the intent to remain, marry, and adjust status to permanent resident.

You ARE allowed to visit each other while the visa process is going on.

Rene
Old Jun 4th 2013, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

$25,000 would not be enough in assets. Look at the I-864P, here:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf

If your household size is 2 (your fiancee/wife plus yourself), her income needs to be at least $19,387 per year. If she wants to use assets, the asset value needs to be 3x what is lacking in income. I know you said she has a small income, but you didn't say how much...but as an example, someone with zero income needs to show 3x $19,387 in assets to qualify. That comes to $58,161.

She has 3 children, one of them is disabled for which she gets benefits. 2 she only has over the weekend.
This $25000 sponsorship thing is a real downer. I'm looking at jobs myself, hopefully i can find something. We are both new to this and immigration lawyers charge for advice, we can't afford that

As another example, let's say someone works part time 20 hours per week, earning $10.00 per hour. That yearly income is $10,400. $19,387 minus $10,400 equals $9,387. So for someone in a household of 2, earning $10,400 a year, who wants to use assets, they are lacking $9,387 of income. So, $9387 x 3 = $28,161 needed in asset value.

Your impression is incorrect.

Oh yes, long before. The I-129F is only the petition, which is filed by the USC to establish the relationship between the USC and the visa applicant. Once the I-129F gets approved by USCIS, then the intending immigrant applies for the K-1 visa. Only when he has the K-1 visa in hand can he then enter the USA with the intent to remain, marry, and adjust status to permanent resident.

ok this bit is making more sense (just slightly).

You ARE allowed to visit each other while the visa process is going on.

Rene
We aren't materialistic people and we aren't driven by money. We are two simple people who fell in love that live an ocean apart. I don't get it, we thought me living in the UK wouldn't be that much of a problem when it comes to moving. Its not like I want to move there for monetary gains because i already have all that here!

I don't know why my replies don't get submitted. I end up trying to submit it several times and that's why there's several duplicates
Old Jun 4th 2013, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

She has 3 children, one of them is disabled for which she gets benefits. 2 she only has over the weekend.
This $25000 sponsorship thing is a real downer. I'm looking at jobs myself, hopefully i can find something. We are both new to this and immigration lawyers charge for advice, we can't afford that
ok your explanation about the I-129F form, makes more sense (just slightly).

We aren't materialistic people and we aren't driven by money. We are two simple people who fell in love that live an ocean apart. I don't get it, we thought me living in the UK wouldn't be that much of a problem when it comes to moving. Its not like I want to move there for monetary gains because i already have all that here!
Old Jun 4th 2013, 9:52 pm

I don't know why my replies don't get submitted. I end up trying to submit it several times and that's why there's several duplicates
It's because, as a new member, when you include a hyperlink in your post, it goes into a Mod queue to be reviewed. That feature will go away after you've got more posts under your belt. For now, try not including a hyperlink in your reply.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jun 4th 2013 at 10:06 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 9:57 pm

We aren't materialistic people and we aren't driven by money.
I understand that. Unfortunately, immigration to the USA requires the USC (or a joint sponsor) has income and/or assets to assure the US government that you won't become a public charge in the USA, and USCIS has put a dollar figure on that.

I don't get it, we thought me living in the UK wouldn't be that much of a problem when it comes to moving.
It doesn't matter where you're from. US immigration law applies to everyone from everywhere in the world equally. In general, you living in the UK is not much of a problem when it comes to moving to the USA. It's just that there is a financial aspect that needs to be met in order for that to happen. Most people in your fiancee's situation use a joint sponsor...I suggest she look into that a bit further.

Its not like I want to move there for monetary gains because i already have all that here!
USCIS isn't saying that's the reason for you wanting to move, for monetary gains. What they are saying is that they want a USC or US PR to take responsibility for you, financially, and to prove they can do so on paper, by showing income and/or assets.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jun 4th 2013 at 10:07 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 10:06 pm

This $25000 sponsorship thing is a real downer.
Instead of putting the dollar figure of $25,000 (not sure where you got that from to begin with), it's best to use actual figures as they apply to you. I am not sure if her 2 kids who spend weekends with her need to be counted, but on the surface of it, it's at least a family of 3 (her, her live-in child, and you). The yearly dollar amount she'd need to earn in income would be $24,412. (It would be $34,462 if she has to count the other two kids).

I'm looking at jobs myself, hopefully i can find something.
You're looking at jobs in the USA? If you could get a work visa to the USA, you can then marry her and apply for AOS (Adjustment of Status), and your legal income from your sponsoring employer would count on her I-864. So perhaps that is a way for you to go. I don't know what you do for a living, but it might be something to look into.

We are both new to this and immigration lawyers charge for advice, we can't afford that
Understandable. We'll try to help you here as much as possible.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.