Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

You Can't Roller Skate In A Buffalo Herd...

You Can't Roller Skate In A Buffalo Herd...

Old Jul 23rd 2006, 11:48 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default You Can't Roller Skate In A Buffalo Herd...

My nephew and a friend are now visiting with us from the UK. So we took them up to west of Airdrie to a bison ranch that we know. We also purchase bison meat from these folks. They are a fantastic couple and they took out into the field with the bison (buffalo is not the correct term we have been told).

Here are a few of the shots I got this afternoon.

Cheers
Steve
Attached Thumbnails You Can't Roller Skate In A Buffalo Herd...-img_6328w.jpg   You Can't Roller Skate In A Buffalo Herd...-img_6325w.jpg   You Can't Roller Skate In A Buffalo Herd...-img_6321w.jpg   You Can't Roller Skate In A Buffalo Herd...-img_6302w.jpg  
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 11:58 pm
Whatacomplete Member

koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You Can't Roller Skate In A Buffalo Herd...

Originally Posted by Hangman
My nephew and a friend are now visiting with us from the UK. So we took them up to west of Airdrie to a bison ranch that we know. We also purchase bison meat from these folks. They are a fantastic couple and they took out into the field with the bison (buffalo is not the correct term we have been told).

Here are a few of the shots I got this afternoon.

Cheers
Steve
What really is the difference between a buffalo and a bison steve?
I'll get in before butch with the old "you can't wash your face in a buffalo' line, but what really is the difference, or isn't there one?
Old Jul 24th 2006, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by koogar
What really is the difference between a buffalo and a bison steve?
I'll get in before butch with the old "you can't wash your face in a buffalo' line, but what really is the difference, or isn't there one?
They don't get all upset when you call them buffalo because its been done for so many years.

Apparently buffalo is a misnomer, these animals are Plains Bison. There is no such thing as a North American buffalo. You learn something everyday.

Buffalo are like Water Buffalo and the like over in the orient and the Indian sub-continent.

Cheers
Steve
Old Jul 24th 2006, 12:29 am
Whatacomplete Member

koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute

They don't get all upset when you call them buffalo because its been done for so many years.

Apparently buffalo is a misnomer, these animals are Plains Bison. There is no such thing as a North American buffalo. You learn something everyday.

Buffalo are like Water Buffalo and the like over in the orient and the Indian sub-continent.

Cheers
Steve
thanks steve.
I feel a little more educted now
Old Jul 24th 2006, 12:31 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by koogar
thanks steve.
I feel a little more educted now
I thought Ro had gone back to UK and taken her beaver with her?
Old Jul 24th 2006, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
I thought Ro had gone back to UK and taken her beaver with her?
Has Ro gone back then?
Old Jul 24th 2006, 12:35 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Has Ro gone back then?
So she told me and The cheeky 'ampshire lass on friday.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 12:38 am

So she told me and The cheeky 'ampshire lass on friday.
Any idea as to a time line for her return to Calgary?

Once I get this week over with I think things might be settling down into the normal dull roar.

Perhap a meet for coffee or lunch could be arranged.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 12:40 am
Banned

Any idea as to a time line for her return to Calgary?

Once I get this week over with I think things might be settling down into the normal dull roar.

Perhap a meet for coffee or lunch could be arranged.
Well Me and Calgal were gutted we didnt get to meet ya so that sounds good yeah.

I believe she could be back around end of august\beginning sept BUT I'm making assumptions.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 12:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Well Me and Calgal were gutted we didnt get to meet ya so that sounds good yeah.

I believe she could be back around end of august\beginning sept BUT I'm making assumptions.
Gosh I didnt realize she was leaving. Hope she had a safe trip back!
Old Jul 24th 2006, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Hope HWP's has a good trip back to the UK. She kept that quiet So Butch who ya gonna hang with now?

Getting back to the original topic, I love bison meat and had it serveral times when we were over there.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee

Getting back to the original topic, I love bison meat and had it serveral times when we were over there.
Yes, it's very low fat compared to beef, and no hormones, antibiotics or grain feed.

These guys either graze or eat the hay grown on the same ranch.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it's very low fat compared to beef, and no hormones, antibiotics or grain feed.

These guys either graze or eat the hay grown on the same ranch.
Steve, I have enough hormones of my own thanks
Old Jul 25th 2006, 2:36 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Trying hard to ignore me being associated with bison here!

Yeah, back in England - very hot and humid!!! From the air, when young, studious man beside me would allow me to look out his window, the UK looked parched! Lots of goldy brown fields... not very green! And the stepping off the aircraft into smelly, crowdy, chaotic Heathrow confirmed the weather!