Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Yep, winter tyres and rims!

Yep, winter tyres and rims!

Old Jul 29th 2016, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute
Default Yep, winter tyres and rims!

I have bought a highlander with 18inch all seasons fitted. When I took the insurance out with Allstate, I got a premium reduction if I fitted winter tyres ( in the winter I presume). On kijiji, there is a set for a highlander but are only 17 inch, would these be acceptable and would the warranty on the car be valid?

As always, your views are all welcome. Thank you.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yep, winter tyres and rims!

OH handles everything to do with our car ........ but I do wonder if a 17" winter TIRES will do when 18" are specified

Do however make sure you buy winter tires not all-season tires ............ winter tires are much better than all-seasons when it comes to traction in snow and ice. There should be an "S" marked on the tire.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Won't the manual list the officially acceptable wheel sizes? Our Forester's manual lists 17" or 18" wheels, for example.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 4:18 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
I have bought a highlander with 18inch all seasons fitted. When I took the insurance out with Allstate, I got a premium reduction if I fitted winter tyres ( in the winter I presume). On kijiji, there is a set for a highlander but are only 17 inch, would these be acceptable and would the warranty on the car be valid?

As always, your views are all welcome. Thank you.
Go on to https://www.tirerack.com/content/tir.../homepage.html and fill out the details of your car and it will give you the correct 17" winter tire size.

Most people downsize one inch for winter tires. Actually my old Mazda went from 18" summers to 16" winters.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Go on to https://www.tirerack.com/content/tir.../homepage.html and fill out the details of your car and it will give you the correct 17" winter tire size.

Most people downsize one inch for winter tires. Actually my old Mazda went from 18" summers to 16" winters.
Good site, it recommends staying with 18's, with wheels it is less than the price being asked on kijiji. Thank you.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 5:02 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
OH handles everything to do with our car ........ but I do wonder if a 17" winter TIRES will do when 18" are specified

Do however make sure you buy winter tires not all-season tires ............ winter tires are much better than all-seasons when it comes to traction in snow and ice. There should be an "S" marked on the tire.
All Season aren't good in the winter at all.

Remember there is a difference between "All Season" and "All Weather".

Believe it or not All Season are only actually any good for 3 seasons.

All-weather tires are not the same as all-season, and here's why - WHEELS.ca
Old Aug 1st 2016, 12:24 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

I have 17" summer rims with 45 profile tires an 16" winters with a 55 profile. Same rolling circumference but gives me 1/2" extra give in winter.
Old Aug 1st 2016, 12:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
OH handles everything to do with our car ........ but I do wonder if a 17" winter TIRES will do when 18" are specified. ....
The size of the tire specified in inches is the diameter of the inner edge of the tyre, i.e. the diameter of the metal wheel, and has little or nothing to do with the outer diameter of the tyre, which is what Pizzawheel said, post #7 above.

Manufacturers recommend certain sizes of wheel because that directly correlates to the "thickness" of the tire, usually known as "the profile" to provide some combination of comfortable ride and the "feel" from the road that a driver expects. So sporty cars come with larger wheels and lower profile tyres, whereas SUVs come with relatively small wheels and big fat tyres to help absorb bumps when driving on rough terrain.

A small wheel and a "fat" tyre will give a softer ride than a low profile tyre on a larger wheel (which BTW will have the same outer diameter as the tyre on the smaller wheel) because there is more wall on the fat tyre to flex and absorb unevenness in the road surface. Conversely a low profile tyre will give a firmer ride and more "road feel", which is why it is preferred by drivers of sports cars.

In short there is likely no reason not to fit any particular tyre (wheel) size, other than personal preference and an awareness that a lower profile tyre on a larger wheel will give a firmer ride, and a higher profile tyre on a smaller wheel will give a softer ride. That said I wouldn't deviate more than 1" from the manufacturers recommendations, not least because getting tyre for 19" or 20" wheels may be difficult.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 1st 2016 at 1:09 pm.
Old Aug 1st 2016, 12:54 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
I have 17" summer rims with 45 profile tires an 16" winters with a 55 profile. Same rolling circumference but gives me 1/2" extra give in winter.
An extra half inch can mean a lot. Even when it comes to tires.
Old Aug 1st 2016, 1:21 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
An extra half inch can mean a lot. Even when it comes to tires.
Things can shrink a bit when it's cold.
Old Aug 1st 2016, 11:46 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

That's why you need a bit more to start of with

Originally Posted by Souvy
Things can shrink a bit when it's cold.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 4:54 am
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

I run 20" rims in the summer, and 18" rims in the winter. The winter rims have "thicker" tyres on them, that makes them the same rolling distance as the 20" I have with low profiles. Both sets of rims and tires came from the dealer.

You do realize that manufacturers offer the same vehicle (say, a Toyota Highlander) with different rim options depending on trim? The base model will come with 17s, and the top line Limited trim will come with 19s or 20s. To ensure the speedometers work correctly in them all, they put thinner tires on the 20s and thicker tyres on the 17s. They both have the same rolling distance.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 8:24 am
Proudly Scarberian

On a serious note, there's no real savings on insurance with winter tires. The 5% discount is eaten up by the $60 I pay to get the rims swapped twice a year ($30 a time).
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 1:27 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
On a serious note, there's no real savings on insurance with winter tires. The 5% discount is eaten up by the $60 I pay to get the rims swapped twice a year ($30 a time).
...whereas in my case the discount is, IMO, worth the 40 minutes with a trolley jack and an air wrench that it takes me to swap the rims over in spring and fall. The compressor was bought for a different project so is a sunk cost; the cost of the impact wrench and the hydraulic jack have been paid back several times by now with two cars to deal with.

Another note about sizes of winter tyres. The rims on my minivan are the same size (16") winter and summer, but the winter rims are a bit narrower. From memory, in summer I run 235/65 R16; in winter 225/70. The rolling radius is about 1% different, the narrower cross-section and higher profile supposedly gives slightly better performance in snow. I don't have any direct evidence of that, but a convenient side-effect is that the winter boots are a slightly more widely available size than the summer ones so are a bit cheaper to replace.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 1:37 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
...whereas in my case the discount is, IMO, worth the 40 minutes with a trolley jack and an air wrench that it takes me to swap the rims over in spring and fall. The compressor was bought for a different project so is a sunk cost; the cost of the impact wrench and the hydraulic jack have been paid back several times by now with two cars to deal with.

Another note about sizes of winter tyres. The rims on my minivan are the same size (16") winter and summer, but the winter rims are a bit narrower. From memory, in summer I run 235/65 R16; in winter 225/70. The rolling radius is about 1% different, the narrower cross-section and higher profile supposedly gives slightly better performance in snow. I don't have any direct evidence of that, but a convenient side-effect is that the winter boots are a slightly more widely available size than the summer ones so are a bit cheaper to replace.
Quite. My son does our rim change, using a jack he borrows from his uncle and the impact wrench I got him from Crappy Tire when it was on big sale. It takes him about 20 minutes. Then he does the oil change.

The time he spent working in the Wallyworld car-servicing bit while a student has proved to be time well-spent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.