Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

woman-who-stopped-car-to-help-ducks-faces-life-in-jail-after-causing-fatal-crash

woman-who-stopped-car-to-help-ducks-faces-life-in-jail-after-causing-fatal-crash

Old Jun 21st 2014, 7:19 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: woman-who-stopped-car-to-help-ducks-faces-life-in-jail-after-causing-fatal-crash

‘What is she doing there? She’s going to get killed’: Trial witness recalls ducks and deadly highway crash | National Post

From reading this article, it would appear that the sun was setting and visibility was not ideal. The witness reported she was driving a truck towing a camper, she saw the parked car very late and had to swerve past it. I suspect the motorcycle rider's view was obstructed by the camper, then, when the truck/camper swerved, the rider was probably a little dazzled by the change in light. Hence not being able to react quickly enough.

So he's either riding too close to the back of the camper or is flying along in the right hand lane and has to swerve left to avoid the camper that is swerving to the right in front of him.

Following this, is a bad accident that blocks the road. Everyone else who came upon it was able to stop in time.

In terms of cause of collision, surely this is a case of going too fast for the conditions?
Old Jun 21st 2014, 7:30 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: woman-who-stopped-car-to-help-ducks-faces-life-in-jail-after-causing-fatal-crash

Originally Posted by Greenhill

In terms of cause of collision, surely this is a case of going too fast for the conditions?
This. A jail sentence would be punishing her for the mistakes of others, even if it was her mistake that set the chain of events in motion. What she actually did merits a fine or something like that.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 7:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I suppose the jury simply found her guilty of dangerous driving. Certainly a tragedy given the circumstances.
She was charged with dangerous driving causing death (2 charges) and criminal negligence causing death (2 charges).

The jury had the option to not convict her on the criminal negligence charge if they felt it was just dangerous driving.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose the jury simply found her guilty of dangerous driving. Certainly a tragedy given the circumstances.
Originally Posted by bats
Yep, a stupid thing to do, but that's the risk when driving, making a stupid mistake. Stopping on a highway without a good reason, pretty daft.
I hope there's more to the story than I can find in media reports.

IME, merely slowing down to check signs for the next exit in this area is fraught with danger.

I do think that a life sentence is harsh in the circumstances I've read about in this case. However, I'm also thinking WTF about stopping on a major highway to "rescue" ducks .

Maybe I'm being too harsh. I've survived a motorbike crash when the car driver in front "made a stupid mistake". We aimed for the ditch, & I was lucky to land/stop rolling, alive, in a field 150 yards from the point of impact. If it had been on the road in question, I probably wouldn't be here to post my conflicted opinions.

S

Last edited by Shirtback; Jun 21st 2014 at 7:45 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 7:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder how many episodes of Orange is the new black she has seen.

Lesson to be learnt from this **** the ducks thats why its called road kill.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 7:51 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Accidents do not usually happen because of one mistake, they are the aggregate of mistakes. Either several by the same person, or by individuals whose mistakes interact. Although it sounds like speeding might have been a culminating factor, someone stopping for no good reason on a major road, has to share a major slice of responsibility for whatever happens. If not we should all be able to stop for picnics wherever we like.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 7:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Accidents do not usually happen because of one mistake, they are the aggregate of mistakes. Either several by the same person, or by individuals whose mistakes interact. Although it sounds like speeding might have been a culminating factor, someone stopping for no good reason on a major road, has to share a major slice of responsibility for whatever happens. If not we should all be able to stop for picnics wherever we like.
Plenty do on the M25 at rush hour
Old Jun 21st 2014, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Lesson to be learnt from this **** the ducks thats why its called road kill.
+1.

Originally Posted by kimilseung
+1

S

Last edited by Shirtback; Jun 21st 2014 at 8:13 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 10:05 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting that this local Quebec news item has become the most read Telegraph article today. It must be about the ducks in the headline, which is somewhat discomforting as two humans lost their lives in the incident.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Interesting that this local Quebec news item has become the most read Telegraph article today. It must be about the ducks in the headline, which is somewhat discomforting as two humans lost their lives in the incident.
Yes

I'm still trying to understand the media reports of stopping one's car on the highway, getting out, & trying to shepherd ducks

Daft doesn't come close to my thoughts on the matter

IMO, & in the circumstances, she's lucky to have survived. And lucky she didn't cause a multiple vehicle pile-up with more casualties.

S
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 7:14 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Er, shouldn't you be able to stop without crashing if another vehicle stops in front if you?
Was thinking that myself. Although, getting yourself killed apparently absolves you of all blame or responsibility for what happens. At least that's the impression I've got from reading comments on a number of different websites.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 7:28 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
Was thinking that myself. Although, getting yourself killed apparently absolves you of all blame or responsibility for what happens. At least that's the impression I've got from reading comments on a number of different websites.
Have there been any articles which have a diagram of the accident?
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 7:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
However, I'm also thinking WTF about stopping on a major highway to "rescue" ducks .
So am I. A lot of women seem to have completely lost their minds lately over cute animals.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 7:39 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Have there been any articles which have a diagram of the accident?
Dunno. The pics would be interesting from a purely technical viewpoint.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 7:50 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Did the ducks survive???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.