Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

woman-who-stopped-car-to-help-ducks-faces-life-in-jail-after-causing-fatal-crash

woman-who-stopped-car-to-help-ducks-faces-life-in-jail-after-causing-fatal-crash

Old Jun 21st 2014, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute
Default woman-who-stopped-car-to-help-ducks-faces-life-in-jail-after-causing-fatal-crash

Foolish thing to do but life in prison?

Canadian woman who stopped car to help ducks faces life in jail after causing fatal crash - Telegraph
Old Jun 21st 2014, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: woman-who-stopped-car-to-help-ducks-faces-life-in-jail-after-causing-fatal-crash

What the sentence says and what she will actually get are 2 different things.
Sort of like the 1st time burglar (break and enter) into your home.
Sentence can be life in prison but how often do you see that.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 3:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: woman-who-stopped-car-to-help-ducks-faces-life-in-jail-after-causing-fatal-crash

I will say its very doubtful the judge will give her anywhere close to life considering she has no criminal record and poses no real direct threat to society.

There are far more dangerous criminals purposely causing harm and not getting life or severe sentences, so I really don't see the judge throwing the book at this lady.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 3:40 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Er, shouldn't you be able to stop without crashing if another vehicle stops in front if you?
Old Jun 21st 2014, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Er, shouldn't you be able to stop without crashing if another vehicle stops in front if you?
Well yes but in this case the vehicle was parked. What I did find interesting was this bit from the story
Roy's motorcycle slammed into Czornobaj's car, which was stopped in the left lane of a provincial highway in Candiac, south of Montreal.
A provincial police officer testified at the trial that Roy, whose speed was estimated to be from 113 km/h to 129 km/h when he applied his brakes, collided with Czornobaj's car at between 105 km/h and 121 km/h.
The jury was told the speed was higher than the prescribed 90 km/h limit on the road.

Sometimes them brakes don't work as good as they should when you least expect it.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 3:52 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Well yes but in this case the vehicle was parked. What I did find interesting was this bit from the story
Roy's motorcycle slammed into Czornobaj's car, which was stopped in the left lane of a provincial highway in Candiac, south of Montreal.
A provincial police officer testified at the trial that Roy, whose speed was estimated to be from 113 km/h to 129 km/h when he applied his brakes, collided with Czornobaj's car at between 105 km/h and 121 km/h.
The jury was told the speed was higher than the prescribed 90 km/h limit on the road.

Sometimes them brakes don't work as good as they should when you least expect it.
Sure, and stopping in the highway is stupid, but what if she'd just broken down? It seems to me that if you drive into the back of something then it is mostly (if not entirely) your fault. This doesn't sound like something that should have even gone to court, let alone being faced with a life sentence.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Sure, and stopping in the highway is stupid, but what if she'd just broken down? It seems to me that if you drive into the back of something then it is mostly (if not entirely) your fault. This doesn't sound like something that should have even gone to court, let alone being faced with a life sentence.
Im not disagreeing but she had stopped not broken down and had not activated her hazard warning lights hence the negligence aspect.
Sure there was no intent but you can be reckless in a lot of things you do and thats why they got the conviction.
Basically they are saying she should have known better and taken more care in what she did.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 4:29 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

One report I read said she was stopped over the brow of a hill. But really both share blame, they should have been able to stop in time and she shouldn't have stopped for ducklings however cute.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 4:42 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I think the motorcyclist is to blame myself. She could have broken down, would she be at fault then? It doesn't really matter why she had stopped imo, she had flashers on and had pulled over, the biker was speeding and not paying attention.

Unfortunately she is likely to serve more time than this guy Red Deer Advocate - Defiant Arens vows to appeal conviction in fatal crash

I'm off to another funeral in a little bit for another teen that was mown down by another careless driver, I don't think she has been charged with causing a death either.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 5:36 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I got the impression when I saw this on another forum I frequent that not only had she stopped her car on a highway but she was actually in the middle of the road trying to direct traffic around the ducks, thus causing a distraction that could have been a factor.

They crashed into the car rather than her.

TBH though I haven't read through all the details myself
Old Jun 21st 2014, 5:43 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
I got the impression when I saw this on another forum I frequent that not only had she stopped her car on a highway but she was actually in the middle of the road trying to direct traffic around the ducks, thus causing a distraction that could have been a factor.

They crashed into the car rather than her.

TBH though I haven't read through all the details myself
Woman convicted for triggering deadly crash by helping ducks | Canada | News | T
.....stopped her car, got out and crouched over the ducks, gesturing for them to move, when the motorcyclists slammed into her car.

Czornobaj told the court that she was trying to rescue the 8 ducks.

Another motorist swerved and just missed Czornobaj's car.

Last edited by kimilseung; Jun 21st 2014 at 5:46 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 6:03 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

She was parked by the median on a shoulder not wide enough for a car, on a two lane highway. She was on the road, it sounds like the motorcyclist was trying to avoid hitting her.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 6:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I am gonna say there was probably more presented to the jury as evidence from both sides then the media will provide.

While I agree speed was likely a factor, I can see where the driver of the car was negligent by parking in the left lane of a highway with no shoulder to safely do so which is what started the accident chain.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 6:37 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose the jury simply found her guilty of dangerous driving. Certainly a tragedy given the circumstances.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 6:53 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by Shard
I suppose the jury simply found her guilty of dangerous driving. Certainly a tragedy given the circumstances.
Yep, a stupid thing to do, but that's the risk when driving, making a stupid mistake. Stopping on a highway without a good reason, pretty daft.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.