Winter 2017-18

Old Dec 28th 2017, 4:36 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter 2017-18

Originally Posted by BristolUK
A salt question: When you hear/read that salt is ineffective below -15 or -20, whatever, is that the base temperature or the wind chill/feels like temp?
I'll guess the answer.

Salt works because when in solution it depresses the freezing point allowing the solution to remain liquid at a temperature lower than the pure solvent's freezing point.

Windchill generates a colder 'feel' for at least two reasons.

The passage of air over a moist surface forces evaporation and evaporation requires energy that it takes from its surroundings, ie skin, and hence it 'feels' as though the actual surroundings are cooler than they actually are because energy is being removed from them.

The second reason is that passing a fluid quickly over a surface increases the heat transfer coefficient associated with convective heat transfer and the faster the fluid flows then the higher the coefficient and the more heat will be lost. Thus you can feel warm on a cold day with no wind.

I'm making a reasoned guess that that the salt will be ineffective below the base temperature of -15 because both the above are effective only when there is energy to be lost, ie where a warm surface is available to supply it. In the case of salt in solution on a cold surface this isn't the case.
Old Dec 28th 2017, 5:13 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Is this normal?
Yes, moisture in the system freezes the couplers.
Old Dec 28th 2017, 5:27 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Yes, moisture in the system freezes the couplers.
Thank you
Old Dec 28th 2017, 6:00 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Fa la la la la, la la la la. It supposed to go to -22 this afternoon, people will be festive.
Attached Thumbnails Winter 2017-18-20171228_110713.jpg  
Old Dec 28th 2017, 6:35 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
I'll guess the answer.
The passage of air over a moist surface forces evaporation and evaporation requires energy that it takes from its surroundings, ie skin, and hence it 'feels' as though the actual surroundings are cooler than they actually are because energy is being removed from them.
That's what I was thinking - tho in a less intellectual way.
Although I remember stuff like that from my Physics classes at school, my reasoning went as far as thinking there's heat loss from our bodies because of the moisture and there's either no or a lot less moisture in grits of salt, so a "feels like" becomes meaningless. Therefore, if -15 was the point at which it became ineffective it would be fine with a -13 that feels like -22.

With little or no moisture in the gritty salt I wouldn't have thought the rest mattered.

None of which explains why the salt (supposedly good to -15 according to the bag) has worked fine on the steps at minus 22, feels like minus 32 but not at the bottom of the steps nor the bit of driveway next to it.
Old Dec 28th 2017, 10:15 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

This is the summit of the Kootenay Skyway, and from the number of vehicles parked it looks like every single plow operator is at work and there are some people who just don't want to drive down the mountain right now. It's never a certainty that there will be no blizzard up there until June. I saw a caribou within a mile or 2 of there. It is the extreme southern point of the range of the Mountain Caribou, and there is a sign saying Watch for Caribou Next 10 Km or something like that
Attached Thumbnails Winter 2017-18-kootenaypass.jpg  
Old Dec 29th 2017, 12:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't want to drive in that either. I don't even attempt to drive BC mountain highways in winter.

Originally Posted by caretaker
This is the summit of the Kootenay Skyway, and from the number of vehicles parked it looks like every single plow operator is at work and there are some people who just don't want to drive down the mountain right now. It's never a certainty that there will be no blizzard up there until June. I saw a caribou within a mile or 2 of there. It is the extreme southern point of the range of the Mountain Caribou, and there is a sign saying Watch for Caribou Next 10 Km or something like that
Old Dec 29th 2017, 12:24 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Congratulations on the improvement with the horses.
Thank you but we started from low base points so it's not like George Morris taking an unpromising horse, discard by others, to the Olympics. It's not a competitive thing at all, just about achieving something personally and saving a horse from the meat man. A trained horse has value while an untrained one has only price by the pound. I also like the fitness gained along the way, legs like Harry Kane I tell ya.

We have never been rich enough to really be able to compete on the competitive horse jumping circuit
Leading riders are called Georgina Bloomberg and Jessica Springsteen. You have to have parents who are very rich indeed, be a stellar talent paid to ride someone else's horse, or be Nick Skelton. Like yacht racing, that's not a game for ordinary affluent people.

When we moved out of town and she started at a rural school, she learned from other students of the money that may be made to take a relatively unbroken horse and train it to such an extent that wealthy people will pay a premium for it. She has kept this up notwithstanding the fact that she now attends uni and this was a large part of her wanting to attend the local uni.
Commendable but likely to lead to a life spent with horses. A foolish fixation, today we brought in two dozen other peoples' horses in -20 temperatures just because, well, horses. My hands are still cold.

I will muck around on our horses on our property but my wife wants me to be able to go on trail rides with her through the Rockies. While I accept that that sounds great, I am sure the reality will be somewhat different, particularly as she wants to stay out for an overnight or two.
I did that, years ago in Colorado. We fettered the horses overnight and camped. I wasn't a good rider and didn't need to be as the rented horses, mustangs claimed from the BLM, knew the drill. I think you would be ill advised to pass up such a chance, that really is a "Canadian Dream" opportunity. It's going to be a long time in the saddle though, you might want to try post trotting without stirrups a few times before you go, get used to the pain.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I did that, years ago in Colorado. We fettered the horses overnight and camped. I wasn't a good rider and didn't need to be as the rented horses, mustangs claimed from the BLM, knew the drill. I think you would be ill advised to pass up such a chance, that really is a "Canadian Dream" opportunity. It's going to be a long time in the saddle though, you might want to try post trotting without stirrups a few times before you go, get used to the pain.
The females in my house ride long hours each and every week, more so when there isn't snow on the ground. About a year after we moved out of town, they decided to go on a "tour" with one of the local "ranches" here (Bar U Ranch).

It was advertised as a way to get to know your local community, spend a day travelling like they did before cars were invented and to eat food like they did when herding livestock, back in the day. They even offered a seat on a wagon for those that were not too sure about spending the time on horseback.

Luckily, my wife and my daughter both had English and Western saddles so they elected for the "comfy" Western ones. They had an enjoyable time mixing with all manner of local cowboys/cowgirls and eating bacon and beans in spectacular surroundings, albeit prairies rather than mountains.

They said that learning to jump across small streams and getting their horses to travel up and down ravines, gallop across open plains, etc. was very good. However, 3 months after going on the trip, they were still moaning about how much their arses and legs hurt. These are those that can 2 point for 5 minutes or so straight with no issues at all. I tried it once for about 20 seconds all in vain. I am not too sure I am not setting myself up to fail!
Old Dec 29th 2017, 1:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

They said that learning to jump across small streams and getting their horses to travel up and down ravines, gallop across open plains, etc. was very good. However, 3 months after going on the trip, they were still moaning about how much their arses and legs hurt. These are those that can 2 point for 5 minutes or so straight with no issues at all. I tried it once for about 20 seconds all in vain. I am not too sure I am not setting myself up to fail!
We once considered a multi-day ride across some of the more scenic parts of Ontario. The pitch included the advice that "all accommodations include hot tubs, some have massage facilities". That seems slightly ominous in retrospect.
Old Dec 30th 2017, 1:00 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

The females in my house ride long hours each and every week, more so when there isn't snow on the ground. About a year after we moved out of town, they decided to go on a "tour" with one of the local "ranches" here (Bar U Ranch).

It was advertised as a way to get to know your local community, spend a day travelling like they did before cars were invented and to eat food like they did when herding livestock, back in the day. They even offered a seat on a wagon for those that were not too sure about spending the time on horseback.

Luckily, my wife and my daughter both had English and Western saddles so they elected for the "comfy" Western ones. They had an enjoyable time mixing with all manner of local cowboys/cowgirls and eating bacon and beans in spectacular surroundings, albeit prairies rather than mountains.

Originally Posted by dbd33
We once considered a multi-day ride across some of the more scenic parts of Ontario. The pitch included the advice that "all accommodations include hot tubs, some have massage facilities". That seems slightly ominous in retrospect.
Our friends used to run a 'dude ranch' in the UK, they brought several of the horses with them when they moved out here. All I can say is you horsey people are nuts to want to be out there in this weather brrr

Old Dec 30th 2017, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

2 and a half hours to get home from the ROM in the snow. Son had to get emergency cover for his shift in case he didn't make it on time. Saw no working ploughs/grifters in all that time.
Old Dec 30th 2017, 1:32 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
2 and a half hours to get home from the ROM in the snow. Son had to get emergency cover for his shift in case he didn't make it on time. Saw no working ploughs/grifters in all that time.
There's snow?
Old Dec 30th 2017, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
There's snow?
Yep. I can't work the interweb well enough to tell if you are being sarcastic because you've had yards more snow than the city but I can tell you that driving in TO in the snow is almost like being back in the UK. Everyone goes beserk, and there isn't a grit lorry in sight. Thank god I'm back in the country, and all roads will be clear by the time I get up in the morning, and no idiots will have parked on the side of the road, let alone on some approximation of somewhere vaguely adjacent to the side of the road. I won't even mention the u-turns, beeping and general complete and utter arsedness.
Old Dec 30th 2017, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Son’s truck which has always started without trouble however cold it gets, didn’t.
There's a reason I now have a battery heater as well as a block heater. Made starting easy today at 30 below zero.

What did surprise me today is how much the engine rpms drop (and fuel economy improves) when I turn the car heater off while driving. Obviously it's taking heat out of the engine, but I never realized the impact was so severe.

Unfortunately, with the heater off, the windshield ices up on the inside!

Last edited by MarkG; Dec 30th 2017 at 2:06 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.