Winter 2016-17

Old Dec 12th 2016, 1:23 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter 2016-17

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
dbd33 has explained shearbolts. There will likely be two, one in either rotating combine havester type bit at the front. They are special bolts designed to shear when you hit something you didn't see under the snow. Regular bolts would not shear and you'd f up the blower big time. Replacing them is invariably a bugger as the blower will be cold and covered in snow, you'll be in the garage in -whatever C and you'll have to drift out (punch out with a hammer, screwdriver, punch etc) the body of the bolt that will be left in the axle that the blades spin around. Then you'll have to get them lined up to put in the new bolt. A faff, but I'm not terribly mechanically capable but manage so I'm sure you will.

The place you bought the snowblower from should be able to supply shearbolts. Failing that Canadian Tire if you dont have a Tractor Supply Centre (TSC) handy.

What make of snowblower are you buying? It should come with Oil i think.
Ta. The blower is Craftsman. We went for that because Sears is good at spare parts.

I can see endless possibilities for self-harm with my new toy.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 1:25 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Is "dual phase" marketing speak for two stroke? If so, the oil is mixed with the petrol, it comes in bottles of about half a pint, one of which you tip into a five gallon can of petrol.

TSC is the name of a shop, it used to be Tractor Supply Company but the Canadian wing split off from the US one and doesn't use the full name. It's the place for country stuff like snowblower parts. Princess Auto or Bolts Plus would also have the shear pins.
I guess I'll find out on Wednesday.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 1:27 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Ta. The blower is Craftsman. We went for that because Sears is good at spare parts.

Can probably replace your wife?
Old Dec 12th 2016, 1:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I'll find out on Wednesday.
So, how big is this machine?

Today will be my first snowblowing of the season. Good timing really as the blower got greased and hooked up yesterday.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 1:51 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, So then likely 2 stage, not 2 stroke! (Can't think that a 2 stroke snowthower exists) . 2 stage means that you have the rotating combine harvester bits (auger) at the front the break up the snow and then a faster rotating bit behind it that spits the snow up the shoot and into your face when you try to blow snow upwind. Another top tip, you can't blow snow upwind no matter how hard you try.

There are all kinds of interlocks to prevent you from putting a limb in the snowblower while it's running but knowing your reputation....
Old Dec 12th 2016, 1:51 pm
Slob

So, how big is this machine?

Today will be my first snowblowing of the season. Good timing really as the blower got greased and hooked up yesterday.
24"

We looked at wider ones but we are limited on width in places.

I like the fact that it has forward and reverse gears and all the controls are on the main console, so you don't have to bend over to reach the crank etc.

I didn't know about any of this stuff. The missus told me. She has a tad more experience than me!

My main task now is persuading her to park her car as far to one side of the car shelter as she can. I won't be able to get the blower out of the garage otherwise.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 1:52 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by Oink
Can probably replace your wife?
You have a diseased mind.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 1:57 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Ok, So then likely 2 stage, not 2 stroke! (Can't think that a 2 stroke snowthower exists) . 2 stage means that you have the rotating combine harvester bits (auger) at the front the break up the snow and then a faster rotating bit behind it that spits the snow up the shoot and into your face when you try to blow snow upwind. Another top tip, you can't blow snow upwind no matter how hard you try.

There are all kinds of interlocks to prevent you from putting a limb in the snowblower while it's running but knowing your reputation....
Thank you for the vote of confidence.

Wind direction will not be a problem. The prevailing wind here (always) is favourable to where I will be blowing the snow.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 2:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

My main task now is persuading her to park her car as far to one side of the car shelter as she can. I won't be able to get the blower out of the garage otherwise.
Same problem here, the truck has to be in the right spot to avoid risk of clonking it. No building ever seems big enough.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 2:18 pm
Slob

Same problem here, the truck has to be in the right spot to avoid risk of clonking it. No building ever seems big enough.
Quite.

I can see the conversation coming.

"Blow the driveway so I can get my car out."

"Move the bloody car so I can get the blower out of the garage."
Old Dec 13th 2016, 2:54 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody cold this morning here in Kamloops.
Attached Thumbnails Winter 2016-17-img_3389.png  
Old Dec 13th 2016, 5:11 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

That isn't bad for this time of year, it's the wind makes it feel chilly.
Old Dec 13th 2016, 5:46 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

There's a polar plunge coming through Ontario in the next few days with temperatures going down to -10c to -35c windchill.

https://www.facebook.com/OntarioBliz...type=3&theater
Attached Thumbnails Winter 2016-17-polar-plunge.jpg  

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 13th 2016 at 5:48 pm.
Old Dec 13th 2016, 5:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

- 4 right now. Was -7 overnight. Without windchill.

Seems we have at least a week of minus temps.
Old Dec 13th 2016, 6:30 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
- 4 right now. Was -7 overnight. Without windchill.

Seems we have at least a week of minus temps.
You poor little darling.

I've already had about a month of that and I have several more to come (and they will be colder).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.