Winter 2016-17

Old Dec 6th 2016, 6:02 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter 2016-17

Originally Posted by Tootlepootle
It was crazy and beautiful up here today!
Eek- I hope you are all ok

Originally Posted by Snowy560
But couldn't get up get up the hill on the way home today. It took 3 tries to leave one bus stop. Several cars got stuck I assume without winter tyres. Daughter works on one of the mountains so husband retrieved her as we do have winter tyres. Then we had a power cut for several hours. It's just come back on. Luckily we managed to heat up dinner just before we lost power.

S
Given your name, you should be well equipped for the conditions
Old Dec 6th 2016, 6:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tootlepootle
It was crazy and beautiful up here today!
Originally Posted by Snowy560
But couldn't get up get up the hill on the way home today. It took 3 tries to leave one bus stop. Several cars got stuck I assume without winter tyres. Daughter works on one of the mountains so husband retrieved her as we do have winter tyres. Then we had a power cut for several hours. It's just come back on. Luckily we managed to heat up dinner just before we lost power.

S
I was surprised to see all the snow at that way on the evening news. It was chilly out this way, but no significant snow, a light dust later in the day but didn't stick to roads.

Seems all the snow got dumped to the west.
Old Dec 6th 2016, 11:29 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Montreal "First Snow" of the year creates back to back accidents

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfDZixZFzms
Wimps.

We had double their snowfall yesterday and there were only 95 reported collisions by teatime.

<prays for Sears to get a move on and deliver the snow blower>
Old Dec 6th 2016, 11:53 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
From the guardian comments

The driver of the car at the front must just keep saying "FFS!"

More like 'criss de calice de tabarnak d'ostie de sacrament'...it's Quebec after all.

He's Canadian, so he immediately got out and apologised to everyone.

Old Dec 6th 2016, 12:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Excuse my ignorance, but what is the purpose of that snow fence?
The fence is in a gap in a line of trees, 100' downwind of the fence/line of trees is the driveway. The idea of the fence is to cause a lift in the flow of air such that the snow is carried over the driveway and drops on the other side. It did work well in previous years, until the fence took flight or, one year, the snow piled up higher than the fence. It's common to see such fences set back from roads here, on the windward side. There's also a subsidy to plant lines of trees but you have to live a long time to see the benefit of planting.
Old Dec 6th 2016, 1:19 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
The fence is in a gap in a line of trees, 100' downwind of the fence/line of trees is the driveway. The idea of the fence is to cause a lift in the flow of air such that the snow is carried over the driveway and drops on the other side. It did work well in previous years, until the fence took flight or, one year, the snow piled up higher than the fence. It's common to see such fences set back from roads here, on the windward side. There's also a subsidy to plant lines of trees but you have to live a long time to see the benefit of planting.
It took me a while to understand the physics of snow fences. I attempted to use one alongside the drive and at the back of the house where the furnace flue gets buried but they were way to close to the places I was trying to avoid having snow build up so in effect I made the problem worse!

We had our first snow over the weekend. With temps hovering around zero elevation was everything to how much snow you got. Half a mile down the road and 100ft lower and there was nothing, while we had several inches. Having only got back from a business trip to Europe a day or so earlier I was ill prepared - no snowtires on, plow for the quad lying under a pile of snow n the garden, snowblower needing a new shearbolt. My excuse was that it was +17C when I left 10 days earlier! I'm a bit better prepared now.
Old Dec 6th 2016, 2:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
It took me a while to understand the physics of snow fences. I attempted to use one alongside the drive and at the back of the house where the furnace flue gets buried but they were way to close to the places I was trying to avoid having snow build up so in effect I made the problem worse!
Horsekeeping on a Small Acerage by Cherry Hill has a clear explanation of how to place them and, of course, everyone has a copy of that to hand.

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
We had our first snow over the weekend. With temps hovering around zero elevation was everything to how much snow you got. Half a mile down the road and 100ft lower and there was nothing, while we had several inches. Having only got back from a business trip to Europe a day or so earlier I was ill prepared - no snowtires on, plow for the quad lying under a pile of snow n the garden, snowblower needing a new shearbolt. My excuse was that it was +17C when I left 10 days earlier! I'm a bit better prepared now.
I'd be smug but it's minus a few C here, we have a couple of inches of snow and the blower is still far from the tractor. I should have connected them on the weekend when it was plus several. Inshallah, it can wait for the weekend so I can hook up in daylight.
Old Dec 6th 2016, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

leith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond repute

Aaarh! Had about half an inch of snow on mid Vancouver island last night. It is quite crisp and crunchy this morning with blue skies and bright sunshine - seems a lot more like Alberta than coastal BC.
Old Dec 6th 2016, 6:00 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

OK that makes sense, thanks for the explanation. I had no idea such a thing existed.
Old Dec 6th 2016, 6:28 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Can't you just sling some 45-degree braces at the back?
Old Dec 9th 2016, 12:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Souvy
Can't you just sling some 45-degree braces at the back?
Now that we've put up the wooden posts, and concreted them in, I hope that won't be necessary. Braces are hard to attach to T posts, maybe you can buy ones with braces attached but I haven't seen them.

First proper winter day yesterday. We came out of the riding barn to five or six inches of new snow. It was still falling hard so it was one of those drives when you can't see anything forward and depend on distance from the telephone poles at the side to know where the road is. Luckily, in the country, it's not likely that anyone will be coming the other way so there's no need for the level of precision involved in picking one side of the road or the other. Any "not ditch" path will do.

Forgot to tilt the wipers forward when parking so it was a blind and wriggly drive this morning, peering out of the few spots the wipers did clear. Lots of clonking and juddering above 60mph too, like having wheels out of balance. Just ice, of course, but irksome.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 12:43 pm
Slob

Now that we've put up the wooden posts, and concreted them in, I hope that won't be necessary. Braces are hard to attach to T posts, maybe you can buy ones with braces attached but I haven't seen them.

First proper winter day yesterday. We came out of the riding barn to five or six inches of new snow. It was still falling hard so it was one of those drives when you can't see anything forward and depend on distance from the telephone poles at the side to know where the road is. Luckily, in the country, it's not likely that anyone will be coming the other way so there's no need for the level of precision involved in picking one side of the road or the other. Any "not ditch" path will do.

Forgot to tilt the wipers forward when parking so it was a blind and wriggly drive this morning, peering out of the few spots the wipers did clear. Lots of clonking and juddering above 60mph too, like having wheels out of balance. Just ice, of course, but irksome.
Same here. We had a squall (ie whiteout) yesterday and it's damn cold this morning (not as cold as the flat bits but who cares).

Very icy this morning. I have to go to the corner store later. It will be a good opportunity to see if my new boots work. If you don't hear from me this afternoon, they don't work.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 3:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Finally getting snow... Up to 15cm they say. Warms up tomorrow, so the rain will be returning.

Downside doctor called in sick due to the snow, so appointment was cancelled.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Dec 9th 2016 at 3:48 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

It's "only" -7C & sunny here today, although there's a fearful wind coming off the lake.

We only have ~10 cm of snow, but that's our 2nd ~10cm...

A couple of the ski hills are open.

Last edited by Shirtback; Dec 9th 2016 at 4:04 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 4:16 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Shirtback
It's "only" -7C & sunny here today, although there's a fearful wind coming off the lake.

We only have ~10 cm of snow, but that's our 2nd ~10cm...

A couple of the ski hills are open.
Minus 4 here at the moment, supposed to warm through the day though and be + 1 by evening.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.