Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

WILL our kingdom stay united?

View Poll Results: WILL the UK remain united after Scotland's referendum?
Rule Brittania! (Scotland will vote to stay)
69.35%
Away wi ye! (Scotland votes for independence)
30.65%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

WILL our kingdom stay united?

Old Sep 1st 2014, 8:48 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default WILL our kingdom stay united?

Welcome to September 2014! A September like any other September in the last 300 years, with the small exception that SCOTLAND VOTES! On the 18th.

The question is: What do you THINK will be the outcome of the vote ?!?!

Note, not what do you want or prefer. What is your prediction?!
Old Sep 1st 2014, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WILL our kingdom stay united?

OK....from afar it can be difficult to predict however on the basis of conversations I have had with friends, relatives etc back in Scotland (most of them sensible and level headed) I suggest a 'no' vote is likely. Given that the 'numpties' infected by the 'Braveheart' syndrome, who have the 'opportunity' to vote for the first time (16 year olds etc) will stay home, only getting out of bed to 'sign on' or collect there Giro. The level headed motivated individuals (including the new voter group of teenagers) will hopefully vote with their heads rather than their hearts, As one friend wrote,

"If Alex Salmond gets his way we will all be living on the equivalent to a Greek Island – we will be living off the entire income from the Military Tattoo...so we will be in Eros de Portabello in two ticks. The next time I write to you it will probably be with a quill, a candle and a square of toilet paper".

Many people are seriously concerned at the prospect of a 'yes' vote and the implications to be sure. All will be revealed in due course. I have no say of course however, I fervently hope for a 'No' vote.

Last edited by macadian; Sep 1st 2014 at 10:56 am.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 11:10 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

It's not just difficult to judge from afar, its difficult to judge from here too! It has become clear that the "yes" will largely be a vote from the heart, as opposed to head and heart as it seemed at the start, nevertheless many hearts can be swayed in the heat of the moment. On balance I think Scotland will vote No by a very tight margin, but it could easily be a Yes instead. If its Yes I think it will be a resounding yes.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 12:00 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

I will be voting NO and that comes from my heart and gut instinct. There are many like me, but our voices are drowned out by the Braveheart brigade.

From my perspective, there is one positive thing that will come out of a yes vote - I will no longer have to listen to people blaming everything on Westminster. Holyrood can take the rap and we can enjoy living in Salmondtopia, whilst, in all likelihood paying higher taxes for the privilege.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 12:12 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
On balance I think Scotland will vote No by a very tight margin, but it could easily be a Yes instead. If its Yes I think it will be a resounding yes.
I share your opinion.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

At least they get to vote. Will the rest of us ever be allowed to vote on Europe? Er, no, not while our lords and masters know what's best for us proles!

Do you think they'll put "Braveheart" on telly the night before the vote???
Old Sep 1st 2014, 12:44 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geedee
At least they get to vote. Will the rest of us ever be allowed to vote on Europe? Er, no, not while our lords and masters know what's best for us proles!

Do you think they'll put "Braveheart" on telly the night before the vote???
Or Trainspoting
Old Sep 1st 2014, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I think (hope? Maybe?) it'll be a very tight No vote.

S
Old Sep 1st 2014, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

It's not just difficult to judge from afar, its difficult to judge from here too! It has become clear that the "yes" will largely be a vote from the heart, as opposed to head and heart as it seemed at the start, nevertheless many hearts can be swayed in the heat of the moment. On balance I think Scotland will vote No by a very tight margin, but it could easily be a Yes instead. If its Yes I think it will be a resounding yes.
It does look like "No" will hang on but Salmond knows how to press the right buttons though and it's the only objective of his. Every day his first thought each morning is what can I do to drive a wedge between England and Scotland.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

If the yes side wins I don't think it will be resounding, I think it will be a squeaker.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

mdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by macadian
OK....from afar it can be difficult to predict however on the basis of conversations I have had with friends, relatives etc back in Scotland (most of them sensible and level headed) I suggest a 'no' vote is likely. Given that the 'numpties' infected by the 'Braveheart' syndrome, who have the 'opportunity' to vote for the first time (16 year olds etc) will stay home, only getting out of bed to 'sign on' or collect there Giro. The level headed motivated individuals (including the new voter group of teenagers) will hopefully vote with their heads rather than their hearts, As one friend wrote,

"If Alex Salmond gets his way we will all be living on the equivalent to a Greek Island – we will be living off the entire income from the Military Tattoo...so we will be in Eros de Portabello in two ticks. The next time I write to you it will probably be with a quill, a candle and a square of toilet paper".

Many people are seriously concerned at the prospect of a 'yes' vote and the implications to be sure. All will be revealed in due course. I have no say of course however, I fervently hope for a 'No' vote.

What a load of insulting nonsense. There's absolutely no need to try and ridicule another's decision by labelling them a 'numpty'. The majority of yes voters have come to their conclusion after careful consideration and reading. The yes campaign has been pretty good in general, in the face of extreme mainstream media bias.

I would never ridicule those that are voting no and have decent reasons for it. However, your friend is a total moron. Hyperbolic shite.

Last edited by mdizzle; Sep 1st 2014 at 6:05 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mdizzle
What a load of insulting nonsense. There's absolutely no need to try and ridicule another's decision by labelling them a 'numpty'. The majority of yes voters have come to their conclusion after careful consideration and reading. The yes campaign has been pretty good in general, in the face of extreme mainstream media bias.

I would never ridicule those that are voting no and have decent reasons for it. However, your friend is a total moron. Hyperbolic shite.

Life's all about opinions and you obviously have one too. Have a nice day.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 6:10 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by mdizzle

Fair comment.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

mdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by macadian
Life's all about opinions and you obviously have one too. Have a nice day.
Actually, it's about being able to back up your assertions with evidence. I'm confident that you will be completely unable to do this with any of the statements from your previous post. I imagine all you have is your embarrassing anecdotal evidence from your highly intelligent and level-headed mates.

When you've provided reasonable evidence, your opinion will then be taken seriously. Until then, it won't.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Judging by TV news since I've been back, the Scots just want everything for nothing.

Last edited by Sally Redux; Sep 1st 2014 at 7:11 pm. Reason: Struggling with the phone

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.