Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Wife has good luck with jobs.

Wife has good luck with jobs.

Old Jan 26th 2016, 7:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wife has good luck with jobs.

I have a lack of experience as well. Which with a lack of education is a double whammy.

Lack of useful experience I should say for the type of jobs available in the area.

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Siouxie has addressed the gaps*.

I'll add that in nearly 20 years, no employer (private & public sectors) has been in the least bit interested in my education credentials (or lack thereof). A major problem I *have* met on occasions is being seen as over-experienced/qualified for "entry level" jobs I would have been happy to take & do well.

*I have some potentially "dodgy" looking gaps in my employment history too.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 9:46 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I have a lack of experience as well. Which with a lack of education is a double whammy.

Lack of useful experience I should say for the type of jobs available in the area.
But you have a lot of experience in various areas - so play up the good points that you have and downplay the things you don't know as much about. It's what most of us who don't have a specific career have to do! I have huge gaps in my work periods - from living overseas, from being unemployed, from moving to Canada (where I couldn't work for many years due to Govt. regulations) to only being able to work part-time.

I have taken a couple of on-line courses which really are only specific to the job I do right now. I took an Entrepreneur course as part of a Govt. program for the unemployed (which I have mentioned to you before). I have plenty of office administration experience but no formal qualifications unless you count shorthand/typing certificates, lol. (oh and GCSE English [ A* ] which I took at 40 to prove I could, lol).

I don't have a G12 education but I have a lifetime of experience - and sometimes you get lucky and that is just what the employer is looking for.

You need to use this time to go online, do some courses - there are many that are free including Twitter, Facebook, Google Analytics - show that you are doing 'something' with your time to improve yourself and employers will look on that favourably.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 26th 2016 at 10:05 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 9:57 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
...I have huge gaps in my work periods - from living overseas...
Did you and Shirtback ever go on missions together? I'm trying to work out which is April Dancer and which is Modesty Blaise.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 10:04 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Did you and Shirtback ever go on missions together? I'm trying to work out which is April Dancer and which is Modesty Blaise.

No, but funnily enough we were in the same country at around the same time!

Old Jan 26th 2016, 10:24 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...we were in the same country at around the same time...
Mum's the word.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 12:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

But you have a lot of experience in various areas - so play up the good points that you have and downplay the things you don't know as much about. It's what most of us who don't have a specific career have to do! I have huge gaps in my work periods - from living overseas, from being unemployed, from moving to Canada (where I couldn't work for many years due to Govt. regulations) to only being able to work part-time.

I have taken a couple of on-line courses which really are only specific to the job I do right now. I took an Entrepreneur course as part of a Govt. program for the unemployed (which I have mentioned to you before). I have plenty of office administration experience but no formal qualifications unless you count shorthand/typing certificates, lol. (oh and GCSE English [ A* ] which I took at 40 to prove I could, lol).

I don't have a G12 education but I have a lifetime of experience - and sometimes you get lucky and that is just what the employer is looking for.

You need to use this time to go online, do some courses - there are many that are free including Twitter, Facebook, Google Analytics - show that you are doing 'something' with your time to improve yourself and employers will look on that favourably.

Having never worked in an office type job, I think I have no real idea what people in those kinds of jobs do....

I just don't want to work night audit anymore, the overnights kill me, but at the same time hotel front desk during the day is so insanely busy and multitasking (which I am no good at, high stress to multitask) that working front desk during the day is just going to set me up for failure.

If YVR-Vancouver Airport wasn't so far and pain in the ass to get to, I'd try for an airport type job, but I can't do that kind of commute everyday.

Once moved I can go around and see what places might be hiring, right now I have just been concentrating online search wise since we have not yet moved, but next week we will be moved in, so will have the chance to go out and about.

This whole needing to know people because companies don't like to advertise jobs is also a pain, but tis how they operate.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 1:33 am
Banned

Don't know if it would be of interest, but Home Depot at Chilliwack seem to have a few vacancies.

They're having career fairs

Pet Value have a job that might be interesting too.

Old Jan 27th 2016, 4:31 am
Account Closed

Don't know if it would be of interest, but Home Depot at Chilliwack seem to have a few vacancies.

They're having career fairs

Pet Value have a job that might be interesting too.

I'll take a look...

I think the biggest hurdle is the jobs I want to get into are either regulated and require X amount of education, or just in a field where employer won't consider you without relevant training.

Just need to figure out how to make 17-20 per hour.....
Old Jan 27th 2016, 6:50 am
Banned

How about an ophthalmic technician?

Training provided.

Ophthalmic Technician/ Assistant job - Dr. W. De Bruin - Chilliwack, BC | Indeed.com
Old Jan 28th 2016, 12:08 am
Account Closed

I'll send a resume and see if anything happens....
Old Jan 28th 2016, 1:49 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I did that job for 20 years. While the Dr may say training provided it is a diploma course to call yourself an ophthalmic assistant and post grad for a technician. Definitely multitasking and definitely very customer focused.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 2:09 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I did that job for 20 years. While the Dr may say training provided it is a diploma course to call yourself an ophthalmic assistant and post grad for a technician. Definitely multitasking and definitely very customer focused.
Diploma and certificates are pretty much my hurdle.

Limited to no access to financial aid means no education in Canada, and without education or extensive experience, you get stuck in the 11-12/hr circle with no way out.

I'd have no issue paying for training if it were affordable, but will take a decade just to save the money needed, the cost of short term educational training is insane.

If only I were a single parent, disability will pay for single parents on disability to go for retraining, but they won't help the rest of us, we are on our own for the most part.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 2:32 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Limited to no access to financial aid means no education in Canada, and without education or extensive experience, you get stuck in the 11-12/hr circle with no way out.

I'd have no issue paying for training if it were affordable, but will take a decade just to save the money needed, the cost of short term educational training is insane.

If only I were a single parent, disability will pay for single parents on disability to go for retraining, but they won't help the rest of us, we are on our own for the most part.
When I did my diploma it was 2 years at Centennial College in Toronto. Lots of science (physics and optics and anatomy) and on the job training. I still have the papers I wrote
Old Jan 28th 2016, 2:45 am
Banned

It's still worth applying - nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Old Jan 28th 2016, 2:47 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Dorothy
When I did my diploma it was 2 years at Centennial College in Toronto. Lots of science (physics and optics and anatomy) and on the job training. I still have the papers I wrote
Is this what they do?

Dispensing Opticianry - Douglas College

I can't find any training courses in BC using Ophthalmic Technician or assistant as key words.

Schools in Alberta as well as the one you mention in Toronto come up, but everything in BC that comes up is for dispensing optician....

Maybe BC does it differently?

This is what came up for Alberta

http://www.nait.ca/program_home_32109.htm

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 28th 2016 at 2:51 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.