Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Wife has good luck with jobs.

Wife has good luck with jobs.

Old Jul 14th 2015, 11:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wife has good luck with jobs.

My wife had her hours cut at her job and so had been applying jobs along with me, man does she have get responses from places, some we both applied to, some just her, so far she is getting 100% response rate.

We both have the same scattered work history of short term jobs, her resume is identical to mine (I made both) and our education is the same....

Now I am trying to get some of her luck......
Old Jul 15th 2015, 12:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wife has good luck with jobs.

Change your name to Jaime 😉
Old Jul 15th 2015, 12:15 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

She's Canadian.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 12:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
My wife had her hours cut at her job and so had been applying jobs along with me, man does she have get responses from places, some we both applied to, some just her, so far she is getting 100% response rate.

We both have the same scattered work history of short term jobs, her resume is identical to mine (I made both) and our education is the same....

Now I am trying to get some of her luck......
I hope you do because I think you deserve it!
Old Jul 15th 2015, 2:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
She's Canadian.
Could be, however there are no US employers on my resume anymore, I dropped the airline off it since it's been like 12 years since I left and its not relevant to any job I apply for here.....

She is a local Squamish gal though, and her resume reflects that, they may prefer small town locals, vs those who tend to stick to big city's and travel around, I do have Vancouver, Edmonton and Abbotsford on the resume.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Could be, however there are no US employers on my resume anymore, I dropped the airline off it since it's been like 12 years since I left and its not relevant to any job I apply for here.....

She is a local Squamish gal though, and her resume reflects that, they may prefer small town locals, vs those who tend to stick to big city's and travel around, I do have Vancouver, Edmonton and Abbotsford on the resume.
Bingo. They recognise her/her name.

It's who you know, not what... Etc, in small towns. /broken record.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 5:13 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

If it's truly about who you know, could you not include a 'personal section' on your resume (which used to be common) and include "Marital status: Married (wife's name)." It does sound a bit weird, I admit, but then Squamish is a wired place...and if they do recognise your wife on paper, maybe it will get you some further recognition.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 11:48 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
She's Canadian.
Or she puts an 'I' when writing the surname.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Could her "luck" possibly be associated with reputation?
Old Jul 15th 2015, 9:12 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
Could her "luck" possibly be associated with reputation?
I don't know.

I don't know a soul in this town other then my wife and her mom, so nobody knows me, and her friends all live in Vancouver and surrounds now as they left town as fast as they could.

I am not sure as most of the places calling she doesn't know the people calling and has never met them before, so not sure how they would know her and she doesn't know either...
Old Jul 15th 2015, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know.

I don't know a soul in this town other then my wife and her mom, so nobody knows me, and her friends all live in Vancouver and surrounds now as they left town as fast as they could.

I am not sure as most of the places calling she doesn't know the people calling and has never met them before, so not sure how they would know her and she doesn't know either...
You have no co-workers? Ex-co-workers? Employer (s), landlord(s)?

Believe me, & I'm trying to say this in the nicest possible way, there *are* people in your town who "know" (or think they know) you.

It may be that you are "just" the American, "you know, the guy [insert physical description] who works at [insert your workplace], xyz's husband?"

But they "know" who you are ....
Old Jul 15th 2015, 9:32 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Shirtback
You have no co-workers? Ex-co-workers? Employer (s), landlord(s)?

Believe me, & I'm trying to say this in the nicest possible way, there *are* people in your town who "know" (or think they know) you.

It may be that you are "just" the American, "you know, the guy [insert physical description] who works at [insert your workplace], xyz's husband?"

But they "know" who you are ....
I've worked in 1 place, got along with all my co-workers, but the turn over was so high, I never got to know them, people lasted about a week on average...lol

So yes some people do know who I am from that job, but I got along with everyone there, it was management in Alberta that I had the issue with but everyone who worked there did as well, hence the high turn over, since I left for example a week ago, I know 2 others have as well....

My other jobs were in Whistler and Vancouver.

So yes in that regards people know who I am, but I can think of any reason they would dislike me, we always got along at work for the short time people stayed.

No ex-landlord, just the current landlord, haven't lived anywhere else, but we are in good standing with the landlord and he likes us.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jul 15th 2015 at 9:35 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2015, 4:36 pm
Account Closed

I wrote down the places I applied to vs who have called.

While I apply for jobs I can do they may not always be a good fit.

I applied at 2 particular places that would be right up my alley, fits my interests, hobby, and I great knowledge on the topic, self taught and personal experience. And can't snag an interview there, but no issue getting one at yet another hotel.

Why do only hotels call, I want out of that industry.

I was really hoping for one place to call, been over a week, so I don't expect one, but man would have been a perfect fit for me.
Old Jul 18th 2015, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond repute

Ring them! You never know!
Old Jul 18th 2015, 7:22 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Why do only hotels call, I want out of that industry.
It's a sub section of Murphy's Law.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.