Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Why was this (Biscuits!) thread closed?

Why was this (Biscuits!) thread closed?

Old Oct 23rd 2015, 3:05 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Why was this (Biscuits!) thread closed?

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Perhaps the thread title could now be changed to something more ...Biscuity?

Britain should be ashamed of its taste in biscuits
Blowing your own trumpet, eh.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute

I introduced my other (Canadian) half to hobnobs recently. They are now a regular on our grocery list.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 3:12 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KuroKuro
I introduced my other (Canadian) half to hobnobs recently. They are now a regular on our grocery list.
Do you have the chocolate chip variety? They are lethal.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 4:20 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Not really, although it did occur it might look that way.

I saw the article and thought I'd post it in that biscuit thread that wasn't titled as a biscuit thread but had become one.

The mediocrity of Nice?
How dare they.

Old Oct 23rd 2015, 5:44 pm
Yo

Not really, although it did occur it might look that way.

I saw the article and thought I'd post it in that biscuit thread that wasn't titled as a biscuit thread but had become one.

The mediocrity of Nice?
How dare they.

http://www.bidvest.co.uk/media/catal.../1/8/18243.jpg
...and you can hardly beat a Rich Tea.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud of

I must confess to being "the kind of sociopath who...actively gravitates towards the malted milk." Sure, it doesn't have the razzmatazz of a bourbon, custard cream, chocolate digestive or mint viscount, but I consider it to be the ultimate tea-dunking biscuit. Unlike digestives, hobnobs etc, it fits perfectly into a cup or mug and you can dunk it all the way to the tips of your fingernails without fear that it will disintegrate. And who wants to leave trails of chocolate or overly-sugary crumbs and other biscuit-related paraphernalia in their carefully brewed Ceylon or Darjeeling?

I certainly wouldn't opt for a Malted Milk for anything other than dunking in tea, but it is the only biscuit that I bring back from England whenever I visit; from Waitrose no less. And I've never even been to Leicester.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 5:58 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...and you can hardly beat a Rich Tea.
Just about the only biscuit I will dunk. Maybe that suggests it 'needs' something extra whereas the others I don't dunk do not, but I think it's more to do with other biscuits spoiling the beverage once it's been contaminated.

Perhaps I should put a few Bourbons into a bowl and pour tea or coffee onto them?

Rich Tea is nice buttered and then squeezed up against another so the butter oozes out through the holes.

Originally Posted by danfolkestone
I must confess to being "the kind of sociopath who...actively gravitates towards the malted milk"....who wants to leave trails of chocolate or overly-sugary crumbs and other biscuit-related paraphernalia in their carefully brewed Ceylon or Darjeeling?
Exactly.

I got into trouble from a packet of malted milk once. Back in the 60s I nipped out to the milkman as he was doing his rounds and asked for a packet with it to be added to the bill.

Lincoln biscuits are nice too.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 6:36 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

That grauniad article was superb. I thank you.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 6:55 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

That is a brilliant article. I was chortling over my desk at the hummus dilemma of the average Waitrose shopper. But I think it's important to note the survey is actually a mash-up of sales data, market analysis, and customer surveys - at least in part it was asking questions on the biscuit dunking habits of Britain, so the Bristolians aren't so far removed from good sense: a Rich Tea does hold its shape well in tea, while I can't imagine dunking a kit kat, as you'd be left with a chocolatey sludge at the bottom of your cup of tea.

Still no excuse for a Nice, though. That's just a waste of biscuit-ness.

The journalist concludes with a plea to give due consideration to jaffa cakes. But they're not biscuits at all, are they? [ducks and runs for cover]
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 7:12 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I watched a UK program yesterday entitled 'The Great British Biscuit".

Says it all really!

BBC Four - Nigel Slater's Great British Biscuit

Old Oct 23rd 2015, 7:23 pm
Oscar nominated

Default Re: Why was this (Biscuits!) thread closed?

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I watched a UK program yesterday entitled 'The Great British Biscuit".
I saw a Club biscuit. It looked like an orange one which seems to be the only kind available here. I like Mint ones.

Do Iced Gems count?
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 8:50 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

As long as we can all agree that Jaffa Cakes (and Wagon Wheels) are much smaller than they used to be all is good.

Wagon wheels used to be the size of a small plate.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 8:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
As long as we can all agree that Jaffa Cakes (and Wagon Wheels) are much smaller than they used to be all is good.

Wagon wheels used to be the size of a small plate.
I don't believe Jaffa Cakes are any smaller than they were in the 1980's. They were never very big. .... I doubt anyone here has shifted more Jaffa Cakes than me - I used to work for United Biscuits and used to load and unload trucks of them. On occasion they would send an ar-tic to the warehouse where I worked that contained 24 double stacked pallets, each about 8ft high, of McVities Jaffa Cakes, or IIRC, 5,760 cases of them. ...... More often the pallets were mixed with pallets of other McVities and Crawford's biscuits.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 23rd 2015 at 9:49 pm.
Old Oct 23rd 2015, 9:47 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why was this thread closed?