Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Who should get this fine outstanding man?

Who should get this fine outstanding man?

Old Feb 9th 2018, 12:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Who should get this fine outstanding man?

At the moment there is a debate going on as to which country this young fine outstanding man should go to Canada or the UK.
His name is Jack Letts aka Jihadi Jack.
He has dual citizenship but the article doesn't clearly state which country he was born in although Alexa/Siri tells me he was born in Oxford, UK.
Now we know PM selfie/fancy socks stated in 2015 that a Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian and repealed the legislation of stripping such people of their citizenship.
The British Government haven't indicated any interest of accepting him back and he is currently in the custody of Kurdish authorities YPG Militia in Syria and they prefer not to release him and just let him walk out of the door. The lawyer from Ottawa representing his family in Canada is describing him more as a hostage rather than a prisoner and Canada has an obligation to assist him.

So which if any country should he be repatriated to which would then assist him in turning his life around and becoming a valued productive member of society.
Any other suggestions what to do with him?
Alleged ISIS operative 'Jihadi Jack' begs Canada to let him come here - Politics - CBC News
Old Feb 9th 2018, 12:31 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who should get this fine outstanding man?

I'd send him to Alabama, they would probably know what to do.
Old Feb 9th 2018, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I'd send him to Alabama, they would probably know what to do.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Letts

Reading this it seems as though he has more ties to the UK but if there is a grin and grip photo op to make him looks like a picture of compassion etc then you can be sure Justin will have him cloaked in a plaid shirt and Molson Canadian baseball cap in a nanosecond for the obligatory photo op.
Old Feb 9th 2018, 1:37 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Letts

Reading this it seems as though he has more ties to the UK but if there is a grin and grip photo op to make him looks like a picture of compassion etc then you can be sure Justin will have him cloaked in a plaid shirt and Molson Canadian baseball cap in a nanosecond for the obligatory photo op.
I f-ing hope not. Beginning to lose faith in this Trudeau guy.
Old Feb 9th 2018, 1:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I f-ing hope not. Beginning to lose faith in this Trudeau guy.
Beginning
Now I tend to think he might encounter one or two problems with his ESTA or VWP application if sent to Alabama as a Brit but he would be exempt as a Canadian if he had a Canadian passport or NEXUS card.
The Canadian Govt departments could have a field day with him once released though as I suspect his name has been flagged in all systems.

1st off he would have to deal with IRCC in obtaining proof of citizenship. Many BE posters on here can attest to how efficient they are.
After several years of applications back and forth between IRCC and himself he now has proof of Citizenship.
Now he has to deal with Passport Canada
Now if wishing to fly back I wonder what the chances of him being put on a No Fly List are?
Do shipping lines have such a list who carry passengers?
On arrival in Canada he will be met by the friendly smiling and ever so helpful CBSA officers who just might have CSIS and the RCMP in attendance welcoming him back to Canada.

Somehow I don't think he will be back next week but there again I might be wrong.
Old Feb 9th 2018, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Mmmmmm...have given this matter some thought, may I suggest that both the UK and Canadian governments simply tell this oxygen thief to Foxtrot Oscar. Simplistic I accept, but will save a lot of time and money. Little Lord Fauntilroy I am sure would love to welcome this little scrote to demonstrate his empathetic and merciful persona, but surely, even he must realize that this is a bridge too far....or maybe not?
Old Feb 9th 2018, 2:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Perhaps the PM's and a negotiating team could all meet and offer things so that one of their countries accepts him.
Canada could start off by saying 'If you keep him we will throw in a case of Maple Syrup, A case of Molson, several bags of Hawkins cheezies, a signed Autobiography of the current Prime Minister and a pair of his socks along with a wash, cut and dry with his hairdresser and a large double double. Or is that too much to initially offer?
Old Feb 9th 2018, 4:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Canada does have an obligation to assist him, he's a Canadian in difficulty abroad. I don't think that obligation extends to invading Syria so, if the Canadians find it's administratively difficult to take any practical action, as have the British, then I think communicating to the Kurds that Canada would prefer that they not to keep him for years without trial meets that obligation. When the Kurds have an established state with formal mechanisms for trial and diplomatic ties to the west then Canada might press his case more forcefully.
Old Feb 9th 2018, 5:24 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by dbd33
Canada does have an obligation to assist him, he's a Canadian in difficulty abroad. I don't think that obligation extends to invading Syria so, if the Canadians find it's administratively difficult to take any practical action, as have the British, then I think communicating to the Kurds that Canada would prefer that they not to keep him for years without trial meets that obligation. When the Kurds have an established state with formal mechanisms for trial and diplomatic ties to the west then Canada might press his case more forcefully.
A good solution.

He sounds a fairly pathetic character.
Old Feb 9th 2018, 5:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

A good solution.

He sounds a fairly pathetic character.
Oh come now how can you say that? Apparently he has mental health problems. Well no shit joining ISIS could make you somewhat mentally incapacitated especially when living in Canada and the horrible day to day challenges you face here.
Im quite surprised there have no posts of supporting his claim and that we should be doing something to get him back.
Old Feb 9th 2018, 5:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Oh come now how can you say that? Apparently he has mental health problems. Well no shit joining ISIS could make you somewhat mentally incapacitated especially when living in Canada and the horrible day to day challenges you face here.
Im quite surprised there have no posts of supporting his claim and that we should be doing something to get him back.
I think it likely that someone who joins ISIS already has mental health issues. At the least, that person is easily led. It's not a happy story.
Old Feb 9th 2018, 5:49 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
So am I. Although dbd33 came close.

I'm equally surprised that no-one has suggested utilising the Wisdom of Solomon in proposing to cut him in half to share between his two nationalities.

Don't get me wrong, but either the UK or Canada should accept jurisdiction and put him to trial for his behaviour.

I don't think it'll be the UK.
Old Feb 9th 2018, 5:50 pm
Yo

He became obsessed with Islam and went to the caliphate, turning his back on the West, and his family. No sympathy. I don't think either government should be wasting public money. If he can talk his way back to the UK or Canada, then he can be tried.
Old Feb 9th 2018, 5:51 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'm equally surprised that no-one has suggested utilising the Wisdom of Solomon in proposing to cut him in half to share between his two nationalities.
Good one.
Old Feb 9th 2018, 7:06 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

An interesting dilemma.

There are many factions in the middle east, all at each other's throats.

Q. How should we deal with returning canadians and brits who choose to fight with the Kurds? This group, once the darling of the west in the anti-IS fight now finds itself at odds with a NATO country and no doubt there are canadians and brits fighting Turks at the moment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.