White privilege???

Old Mar 12th 2018, 5:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: White privilege???

Our manager manages the entire operation which includes ramp, grooming, customer service. With ground handling companies the manager needs to know more about business, getting contracts, creating budgets and such.

Current manager is 12 or so years younger then me, he doesn't interact much with employees so no real idea what he does exactly job wise other then dealing with airline customers and airport admin and doing budgets and contract issues.

Looking at job postings for the job, I am not remotely qualified for it.

The original plan when we moved to Vancouver was to work part-time and go to school and start upgrading high school courses I need to get into any program, however my wife had manic episode last March and was no longer able to work, so I went full-time then lead full-time.

My wife is not yet to a point where she can work, so unless I work 40/hours a week, we won't have rent, so at the moment I just lack time to attend school.

I have Sun/Mon off and work 12 noon to 30 past midnight so unfortunately at this time there isn't any time before or after my shift for part time classes.

But maybe one day, I will have time.

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
JSmith, I think sometimes you're a lot harder on yourself than you ought to be (but sometimes fail to heed advice). Quite clearly you are an intelligent, considered and hardworking person. I understand you have some health issues, but let's be honest, nobody is Superman. Frankly, I get very annoyed when I meet people who define themselves by health issues.

In my experience, unqualified hands-on people rise to foreman/manager level by being committed, by taking on the responsibility of teaching new hands and by always being willing to do a little bit more than the clockwatchers.

You have said numerous times that you wish to better yourself, or at least do better for yourself. Who is your boss and how can you get his job? Is he younger, fitter, brainier than you? Does he know more about the job than you? What active measures have you taken in the past year to show that you should be where your boss is?

You worked in hotels also, is that something that might be better in tourist-rich BC?
Old Mar 12th 2018, 1:46 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I'll pass on the tweet I received this morning from the Dalai Lama:

In today’s materialistic world there is a risk of people becoming slaves to money, as though they were simply cogs in a huge money-making machine. This does nothing for human dignity, freedom, and genuine well-being. Wealth should serve humanity, and not the other way around.
Old Mar 12th 2018, 2:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
Generally speaking happiness is a state of mind that's governed by how things are going. If you think they're getting better then you're happy and vice versa. Thus the wealthiest man, the envy of the poor, can be unhappy if things aren't going that well.
I'm always a little puzzled by this. Obviously someone can be unhappy about something regardless of their wealth. But their bottom line is still high.

People say the same thing about footballers who - on £200k plus a week - may be disappointed at not playing regularly or suffering other issues. And it's true. But there is still a bottom line and that shields them from other things us mere mortals have.

When I was continually passed over for promotion (we had a strange system where actual performance in the job being applied for counted for nothing and three strangers based the decision on a 25 minute interview) while others with bad or unproven performances succeeded, for a day or so I'd feel bitter but content myself with the fact I still had a nice, affordable home, a decent job and money to take holidays and that this would continue. Something bad, for me, would have put that at risk.

Something bad for the wealthy person - an injury, a contract not being renewed and no options (pretty much unheard of anyway) - puts future income only at risk; unless they've done something extremely silly they'll still have their current wealth, just the 'interest' on its own would give anybody else an enviable lifestyle, never mind the accrued capital still held. And never having to work again.

Perhaps their fall is greater, relative to where they were. But Multi-millionaire falling to millionaire still offers more comfort than doing okay and falling to poverty.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Looking at job postings for the job, I am not remotely qualified for it.
Sometimes I looked at job descriptions for my job and thought nope, that's not me.

Last edited by BristolUK; Mar 12th 2018 at 2:47 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2018, 4:06 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I'm always a little puzzled by this. Obviously someone can be unhappy about something regardless of their wealth. But their bottom line is still high.

People say the same thing about footballers who - on £200k plus a week - may be disappointed at not playing regularly or suffering other issues. And it's true. But there is still a bottom line and that shields them from other things us mere mortals have.

When I was continually passed over for promotion (we had a strange system where actual performance in the job being applied for counted for nothing and three strangers based the decision on a 25 minute interview) while others with bad or unproven performances succeeded, for a day or so I'd feel bitter but content myself with the fact I still had a nice, affordable home, a decent job and money to take holidays and that this would continue. Something bad, for me, would have put that at risk.

Something bad for the wealthy person - an injury, a contract not being renewed and no options (pretty much unheard of anyway) - puts future income only at risk; unless they've done something extremely silly they'll still have their current wealth, just the 'interest' on its own would give anybody else an enviable lifestyle, never mind the accrued capital still held. And never having to work again.

Perhaps their fall is greater, relative to where they were. But Multi-millionaire falling to millionaire still offers more comfort than doing okay and falling to poverty.

Sometimes I looked at job descriptions for my job and thought nope, that's not me.
I believe Maslow put together a hierarchy of needs.

I don't know a person who'd rather wake up poor in Aleppo today than be a miserable millionaire.

That being said the suicide rate amongst lottery winners is higher than the general populous.
Old Mar 12th 2018, 4:23 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect that, whatever your circumstances, you become accustomed to your current condition. Although the 'bottom line' for the wealthy might be out of reach for the rest of us it still generates a base line against which the wealthy will judge their wellbeing.

In some ways, although being difficult to accept, being super wealthy can be a burdon. Imagine being able to afford anything material, what does the super rich do to feel better? They look for something money can't buy, recognition and plaudit, and they do this by giving money away.

If simply being wealthy was a recipe for happiness we wouldn't experience suicides among this group. It must be a difficult question to answer for many, 'In spite of being so rich, why do I feel like s**t?'
Old Mar 12th 2018, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
I believe Maslow put together a hierarchy of needs.

I don't know a person who'd rather wake up poor in Aleppo today than be a miserable millionaire.

That being said the suicide rate amongst lottery winners is higher than the general populous.
I was just as content when I earned 10,000 pounds a year, had just bought my first house, had two children 7 and 18 months old, as I am now. The only real difference between now and then is that I am way closer to retiring, I have way more money in the bank, live thousands of miles away from where the rest of my family live and I have lots more "stuff".

Other than for short periods of time resulting from setbacks that we all face, I have never been unhappy.

Wealth has not made me happy any more than the lack of it made me unhappy. I guess I should be thankful that I am white.
Old Mar 12th 2018, 5:23 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian

Wealth has not made me happy any more than the lack of it made me unhappy. I guess I should be thankful that I am white.
I agree.

When I was skint in my early 20's I used to think salary and money would make me happy. In hindsight though I spent too much time fretting about it.

My general approach to life now is that your happiness is a function of the people you surround yourself with.

Also your health is your wealth so eat better and do some exercise.
Old Mar 12th 2018, 5:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I would be content if I just had housing stability and long term ability to stay in one spot.

That is not possible when renting and as I work through things the biggest stressor is housing instability.

As I have said before. I have no desire to rich.

Just want stability.

Its also really depressing to work all month and at the end see almost all of it go to just rent. Makes one feel like they worked for nothing.

Time is what holds me back currently. There is not enough time to work enough to pay rent and go to classes.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 12th 2018 at 5:29 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2018, 5:39 pm
Account Closed

Lol...my job description is pretty straight forward..lol

Be 18 years old.

Have a valid drivers license.

Clean criminal record and ability to pass transport Canada requirements.

Able to lift, pull, push up to 70 pounds unassisted.

Able to work any shift.

Your interview method you mentioned above reminds me of my workplace when it comes to raises.

Everyone gets the same raise regardless of work performance. The best worker makes the same as the worst performer.
Old Mar 12th 2018, 5:39 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I agree.

When I was skint in my early 20's I used to think salary and money would make me happy. In hindsight though I spent too much time fretting about it.

My general approach to life now is that your happiness is a function of the people you surround yourself with.

Also your health is your wealth so eat better and do some exercise
That is it and don't take crack.

Last edited by Oink; Mar 12th 2018 at 5:44 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2018, 5:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
I suspect that, whatever your circumstances, you become accustomed to your current condition.
Remember, though, we're not talking losing their current condition, just the future one. They still have the mansion, the villa in Spain, the three Ferraris and the Rolls in the garage, the £300k a year interest on the £12m banked from one year of working.

Although the 'bottom line' for the wealthy might be out of reach for the rest of us it still generates a base line against which the wealthy will judge their wellbeing.
Yes, their judgement. But they're not going to wonder how to pay the gardener.

Imagine being able to afford anything material, what does the super rich do to feel better?
There's always something.
They look for something money can't buy, recognition and plaudit, and they do this by giving money away.
Do they? I know they have charities and all the rest of it but they're not giving away something that they miss.

If simply being wealthy was a recipe for happiness...
Does anyone say it is? "Money can't buy you happiness" is an extremely common expression. It does shield one though, there are no two ways about that. One might still have problems but they're not as severe as those non wealthy folk have and one doesn't need great awareness to see that.
Old Mar 12th 2018, 5:56 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Your interview method you mentioned above reminds me of my workplace when it comes to raises.

Everyone gets the same raise regardless of work performance. The best worker makes the same as the worst performer.
Well that wouldn't have been so bad for me. I'd have got my turn at something denied me for...1,2,3...7,8...OMG, 20 years I reckon. 18 if I was to be tough on myself.
Old Mar 12th 2018, 6:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

might still have problems but they're not as severe as those non wealthy folk have and one doesn't need great awareness to see that.
I don't see that. A wealthy person who has an autistic child has the same problems as a poor person who has an autistic child. I'd rather be rich than poor but I don't think it would make sciatica, for example, less painful.

Only some problems can be alleviated by money.
Old Mar 12th 2018, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes I looked at job descriptions for my job and thought nope, that's not me. [/QUOTE]

I agree with that one Bristol.....having read reams of my own job descriptions for the last few months, many times they make me feel as though you don't know anything about my job!

But realistically they are wish lists by that employer (that they don't often get) and also meant to scare off prospective employees who are not confident in their abilities. The requirements are also meant to challenge you, so that you go to that job interview with the best you can offer.

JSmith....don't let it bother you...go for it, apply, whats the worse than can happen? they turn you down.

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Mar 12th 2018 at 6:31 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2018, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

I agree.

Also your health is your wealth so eat better and do some exercise.

I agree with this for the most part, but I do think you need a certain level of income to live a fulfilling life, otherwise you are just existing....and that is not a happy or fulfilling life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.