White privilege???

Old Mar 10th 2018, 1:14 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: White privilege???

Originally Posted by JamesM
..."I got where I did through hard work".

Candidly just so everyone is clear there is no such thing as a self made person and anyone who tells you other wise is kidding themselves.
I like posting this

https://9gag.com/gag/aPD9x7K/on-a-pl...by-toby-morris
Old Mar 10th 2018, 2:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

If all it took was hard work, I should be wealthy..lol

This thread reminds of the idiots on LinkedIn who plump up on the white privilege threads saying that "you have to play your hand" and "I got where I did through hard work".

Candidly just so everyone is clear there is no such thing as a self made person and anyone who tells you other wise is kidding themselves.
Old Mar 10th 2018, 4:05 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
That one's bounced around. But the sentiment is real.

Your life is the product of the hand outs you've received.

Someone is now going to try and write me a lengthy sonnet of how this is not true.
Old Mar 10th 2018, 9:25 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
If all it took was hard work, I should be wealthy..lol
Quite !
Old Mar 10th 2018, 9:28 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Why did the OP need three question marks?
Maybe a code for WTF ?
Old Mar 10th 2018, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

This thread reminds of the idiots on LinkedIn who plump up on the white privilege threads saying that "you have to play your hand" and "I got where I did through hard work".

That one's bounced around. But the sentiment is real.

Your life is the product of the hand outs you've received.

Someone is now going to try and write me a lengthy sonnet of how this is not true.
I'll bite.

Not everyone born into poverty remains there; not everyone born into affluence remains there either.

Assuming that one's life is going to be whatever it is going to be and that it cannot be changed is, IMVHO, a huge waste of one's potential.

Whatever "handouts" one receives, one's decisions will still affect the outcome.
Old Mar 10th 2018, 3:13 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I'll bite.

Not everyone born into poverty remains there; not everyone born into affluence remains there either.

Assuming that one's life is going to be whatever it is going to be and that it cannot be changed is, IMVHO, a huge waste of one's potential.

Whatever "handouts" one receives, one's decisions will still affect the outcome.
The point here is that one's potential does not exist in a vacuum. Did you look at the graphic Bristol posted?
Old Mar 10th 2018, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
The point here is that one's potential does not exist in a vacuum. Did you look at the graphic Bristol posted?
Of course I did.

I don't doubt that some people have more opportunities than others and if people wish to believe that they are unable to achieve what they wish to achieve purely as a result that others have more opportunities than they do, that is fine, but that has not been my experience.

I refuse to accept that successful people (however that is defined) are there purely as a result of "handouts" and that the choices they have made have had no effect upon the outcome.

I would never choose to limit myself by a belief that being born into a poor family, or having a disability, was going to dictate what I was going to be able to achieve.

I firmly believe that one's attitude to whatever happens is far more important than the opportunity one is presented with.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Mar 10th 2018 at 3:29 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2018, 3:41 pm
Yo

I don't doubt that some people have more opportunities than others and if people wish to believe that they are unable to achieve what they wish to achieve purely as a result that others have more opportunities than they do, that is fine, but that has not been my experience.
So in that comic strip did you think the poor guy with sick parent was a bit of a slacker?
Old Mar 10th 2018, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Shard
So in that comic strip did you think the poor guy with sick parent was a bit of a slacker?
In that comic strip, I would be Paula.

I haven't called anyone a slacker nor have I denied that some people face more hurdles than others.

What I am saying is that not all "successful people" (in any sphere, be it musicians, sports people, academics, business, etc.) are successful simply because of opportunities they are presented with in much the same way that not all of those presented with opportunities go on to be "successful".

I believe that how one deals with opportunities presented, or lack thereof, is far more important.
Old Mar 10th 2018, 4:14 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't called anyone a slacker nor have I denied that some people face more hurdles than others.

What I am saying is that not all "successful people" (in any sphere, be it musicians, sports people, academics, business, etc.) are successful simply because of opportunities they are presented with in much the same way that not all of those presented with opportunities go on to be "successful".

I believe that how one deals with opportunities presented, or lack thereof, is far more important.
id agree with this
Old Mar 10th 2018, 5:21 pm
Yo

But this is a meaningless observation. We all know that there are those that succeed or fail in spite of their environment and opportunities.

I think James' original point may have been that there are many who have succeeded that don't recognize (or appreciate) the advantages they were afforded. Probably true. This is a post about privilege so it seems a valid observation for him to make. Not sure why you always have such difficulty in with this idea.
Old Mar 10th 2018, 7:15 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I appreciate the bite. I was drinking a rather nice 10 year South African rum with some coca cola last night when I was posting.

Your argument fits into the you play the cards you are dealt scenario. Some people do take more risks than others and some read situations better. I can't dispute that. I hate authority and it has hurt me in the work place a few times.

The cartoon Bristol posted I don't think goes far enough to highlight the extremes of "white" privilege. It really just touches on the difference between white upper and middle class in my opinion.

But, and there are always exceptions, I suspect none of us have had to over come any sociocultural divide which is where you need to go to truly understand "white" privilege. Then you really can start to look at the opportunities and "lack there of".

Last edited by JamesM; Mar 10th 2018 at 7:21 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2018, 7:23 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

AC, you've a remarkable and admirable life story. But think back to your primary school class. Out of those 30 kids, how many do you think might have matched or exceeded your success? Is there a common, or repeatable, factor? If it is just down to luck or individual ability, then it doesn't really add value to suggest to other people that they can just do the same as you.

In my opinion, privilege can buy reward. Ability can earn reward. It is quite wrong, however, to suggest that people of ability from poor/uneducated backgrounds can simply "apply themselves" and achieve success, because often they have no idea about what that even means. It's like saying, no bread? Well let them eat cake!
Old Mar 10th 2018, 7:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest I have no real idea what apply yourself means.

I went to school everyday from K to 12, I didn't do well, I struggled, barely passed, but I did spend everyday after school struggling through my work, every weekend doing the same. My doing poor in school was certainly not due to lack of effort on my part.

I didn't party, slack off, I probably spent more time on my school work then many of the smart successful classmates.

Some I suppose would say I didn't apply myself, I don't agree as I did the very best that I was capable of doing with what I had available to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.