"White British"

Old Dec 15th 2017, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "White British"

There very often isn't an accurate option if you're half and half as I am.
Old Dec 15th 2017, 10:53 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
The Bureau for Racial Classification has not tracked me down yet.
That's what you think.
Old Dec 15th 2017, 12:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davita
akin to anarchy.
I'm sorry if I've brought the collapse of civilized order upon two countries but, at some point, people have to think for themselves, not blindly comply with the government's orders. If your President told you to vote for Roy Moore, would you do it?
Old Dec 15th 2017, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'm sorry if I've brought the collapse of civilized order upon two countries but, at some point, people have to think for themselves, not blindly comply with the government's orders. *If your President told you to vote for Roy Moore, would you do it?
* That's an irrelevant question.

I said there are ways to question and effect change when democratically elected governments make law and issue orders, if there is a disagreement.

If someone purposely damages property, including a taxpayer-paid Gov't census, because of a personal opinion, that constitutes the principle of anarchy...no matter how petty it may seem.

re: Anarchy....a state of disorder due to absence or non-recognition of authority.
Old Dec 15th 2017, 1:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davita
* That's an irrelevant question.

I said there are ways to question and effect change when democratically elected governments make law and issue orders, if there is a disagreement.

If someone purposely damages property, including a taxpayer-paid Gov't census, because of a personal opinion, that constitutes the principle of anarchy...no matter how petty it may seem.

re: Anarchy....a state of disorder due to absence or non-recognition of authority.
I'll rephrase, if your government told you to stick your head in a gas oven*, would you do it?

I assume you've filed tax returns, or had them filed for you, in some jurisdiction or other. If so, you, or your representative, will have misrepresented facts on those returns. It has not brought about the end of the world and neither will my disinclination to be valued according to my tan.

* "jump off a bridge" for those reading in America
Old Dec 15th 2017, 9:49 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Here's an example...endearing in a way...

Devon mud hut pair reject Travelodge offer - BBC News
Old Dec 16th 2017, 12:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

I'll rephrase, if your government told you to stick your head in a gas oven*, would you do it?

I assume you've filed tax returns, or had them filed for you, in some jurisdiction or other. If so, you, or your representative, will have misrepresented facts on those returns. It has not brought about the end of the world and neither will my disinclination to be valued according to my tan.

* "jump off a bridge" for those reading in America
I would have thought the government is gathering such statistics to guide policy , and most likely in relation to benefits and policies that benefit the non-white categories.

As far as basic civics, filling out a government form I would think just out of principle of being a citizen one would fill out correctly to the best of one's knowledge.
Old Dec 16th 2017, 12:42 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by morpeth
and most likely in relation to benefits and policies that benefit the non-white categories.
I am completely opposed to any policy aimed at benefitting the "non-white" categories and, indeed, to the concept of such categories. Policies aimed at improving the lot of poor people or disabled people are fine with me but Kanye and Obama don't need my tax dollars.
Old Dec 17th 2017, 9:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
That's rather an Americanism.
For what it's worth, the US Census uses white.

Old Dec 17th 2017, 11:06 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Didn't white people used to be caucasian? Is it not a thing anymore?
Caucasian has its roots in the scientific-racism of enlightenment era Germany( Christopher Meiners, Blumenbach etc). The racist link has led most dialects ( except US) of English to deprecate the word.

Last edited by kimilseung; Dec 17th 2017 at 11:12 am.
Old Dec 17th 2017, 1:15 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I am completely opposed to any policy aimed at benefitting the "non-white" categories and, indeed, to the concept of such categories. Policies aimed at improving the lot of poor people or disabled people are fine with me but Kanye and Obama don't need my tax dollars.
But if the census asks your income bracket, knows where you live and other demographic information then they could have useful information about people who need help. Where to spread the tax dollars.
Old Dec 17th 2017, 1:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by bats
But if the census asks your income bracket, knows where you live and other demographic information then they could have useful information about people who need help. Where to spread the tax dollars.
Recording skin colour, as opposed to language or place of origin, just allows the government to say that people are poor because of their colour. I don't see that it's a useful thing to know.
Old Dec 17th 2017, 2:19 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Recording skin colour, as opposed to language or place of origin, just allows the government to say that people are poor because of their colour. I don't see that it's a useful thing to know.
Isn't that too simplistic? There are more factors that come into it and the questions of a full census should help answer that. I don't think skin colour can be dismissed as a factor in societal success but if it can then then census information would demonstrate that too.
Old Dec 17th 2017, 2:47 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I think agree with that. Mere pigmentation is too broad a concept. Asking language spoke / origin might be more helpful.
Old Dec 17th 2017, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Caucasian has its roots in the scientific-racism of enlightenment era Germany( Christopher Meiners, Blumenbach etc). The racist link has led most dialects ( except US) of English to deprecate the word.
Interestingly enough when you google the word it says of European, North African and Asian background.
Confusing. I always thought it was the “scientific” way of saying white (or whatever the politically correct way of saying from Northern Europe)

I meant no harm...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.